not a popular name here?

Tick

I've made my point about MP before and won't go into it again....Because on 'this' forum NP is "the greatest drummer ever", which I won't comment on either!

(if this post isn't clear...I'm pro-pro-pro MP and DT) wink.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 19 2005, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 19 2005, 08:16 PM)
I consider Portnoy the second greatest durmmer alive.

Danny Carey, Dennis Chambers, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta, Alex Acuna, Alex Holzworth, and even Casey Grillo are some of many I'd consider better than Portnoy.

DANNY CAREY yes.gif

I might even say that he's THE BE... ohmy.gif

oh never mind... i'll get hung for that. laugh.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 20 2005, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 20 2005, 02:48 PM)
Because on 'this' forum NP is "the greatest drummer ever", which I won't comment on either!

I don't even agree with NP being the best ever...

I would pick Danny Carey over pretty much anybody right now.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 20 2005, 08:06 PM)
Because on 'this' forum NP is "the greatest drummer ever", which I won't comment on either!

I'd actually take Virgil Donati on the list...

If you want my opinion on the matter though, there is no such thing as the absolute best drummer. No matter how many awards a guy may have (face it the FANS vote for their favorite drummers every year, so the voting in those things is pretty much biased every year by each individual voting; kinda like how the NHL All-Star Game sucks now since people only vote for players on their hometown team or players that they've heard of rather than players who actually deserve to be in the game), doesn't determine whether or not he's the best. So Neil and Mike have a bunch of awards from Modern Drummer. So what? Yeah, both drummers are good and all, but they aren't the best. Neither is any other drummer out there. There's so many different styles of music out there that many drummers have perfected in their own way and each style varies from one to the other.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 20 2005, 05:15 PM)

If you want my opinion on the matter though, there is no such thing as the absolute best drummer. No matter how many awards a guy may have (face it the FANS vote for their favorite drummers every year, so the voting in those things is pretty much biased every year by each individual voting; kinda like how the NHL All-Star Game sucks now since people only vote for players on their hometown team or players that they've heard of rather than players who actually deserve to be in the game), doesn't determine whether or not he's the best. So Neil and Mike have a bunch of awards from Modern Drummer. So what? Yeah, both drummers are good and all, but they aren't the best. Neither is any other drummer out there. There's so many different styles of music out there that many drummers have perfected in their own way and each style varies from one to the other.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I think you all know my views about DT and Portnoy by now (if you don't check the Gigantour thread from a while back), so I won't reiterate.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 20 2005, 08:15 PM)

Its hard not to agree with your choice of Virgil. I was fortunate enough to see him play with Vai. Looking forward to the new Planet X.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Nov 20 2005, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 20 2005, 08:15 PM)

Its hard not to agree with your choice of Virgil. I was fortunate enough to see him play with Vai. Looking forward to the new Planet X.

That must have been an awesome show. I caught footage of him and Vai together on one of the dvd's and I was just like "holy shit..." most of the time. Far better drumming performance I've seen than Peart or any other drummer on film. Best live performance I've seen: Dennis Chambers, hands down.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 20 2005, 06:15 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Nov 20 2005, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Nov 20 2005, 04:13 AM)
I guess my point is I wish peeps would open their minds a little and at least "accept" Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy for who they are and their genuine commitment to write and play original music that is different and interesting compared to most bands in the hard/progressive rock genre.

Do0d, a lot of these people think Nightwish is great. There is no argueing with them about good music or who is good because they simply don't know.

Archived