Armchair Coaches/GM's in the NFL - They Never Change

Principled Man

Every month, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy replies to 5 Questions from fans on the Packers' website.

It is no surprise that he gets some doozies from self-righteous fans, who think that they know better.....about everything.

Here is one example from December's "Murphy Takes Five" episode. Read it if you dare!!

[A question from Daniel]

Hi Mark, I'm seeing a similar trend with this regime as with McCarthy's. And that is, far too many drives are being ended because of low-percentage pass plays on second- and/or third-and-3 or less yards for a first. I get the feeling that instead of concentrating on victories, it's more about appeasing the players and stroking their egos.

You took AJ Dillon rather high in the draft and he has done nothing but produce in his extremely limited opportunities. If Mr. Dillon and this offensive line cannot get three yards on two attempts, then hats off to the defense. But throwing low-percentage deep fades or having Aaron Rodgers getting sacked on third-and-1 is brutal. This defense has cost us Super Bowls over the last decade and will continue to hurt us so it is vital to keep them off the field as much as possible.

Rodgers also doesn't run enough to pick up first downs that are within reach. Certainly, he had some drops but a guaranteed first down by running 12 feet or throwing a bullet to the sidelines to an undrafted receiver on a cold day?

It was not wise to not completely remove the former regime. Dom Capers and Mike McCarthy should have been removed several years sooner, especially Mr. Capers. Retaining Pettine was and continues to be a wrong move.

Inability to make in-game adjustments and it's never easy with this Packer team closing out games. It should not be that way.

You need to be playing AJ Dillon quite a bit more. Jones and Williams need to accept that and keep the eye on the prize. They will have far more opportunities once Dillon picks up the first down. And finally, do not even consider re-signing Kevin King. A skinny cornerback from the Pac-12 with previous shoulder problems over TJ Watt. And I'm sure you're aware of the success of all those receivers drafted this year.

I think you'll agree being a former player and personnel man, this franchise has gone for the Kmart Blue Light Special far too often and their lack of championships reflect that.

It would be wise to forget about draft picks that may never materialize and send them off to Pittsburgh for Juju. Since 2005, I have my draft picks compared to what the Packers did which can be verified by many and it's not even close. Last year and this team the talent and the football level does not reflect their record and again I do not foresee it going very far in the playoffs.

I'm old enough to remember your playing days and to see the game become nothing but commercials and penalties is really sad. They stand around on the football field not playing football because they have to sell commercials to pay for their salaries, not to play football.

And the penalties, please, you need to be aware that these are not helmet-to-helmet hits but just the energy of the hit will cause their heads to make contact and nobody will be getting injured anytime soon when their helmets touch in that regard.

Thank God for college football.

Have a safe and exciting holiday.

Remember without the cross there would be no need for the crib.

I do share Mr. Thompson and I believe your faith that Jesus is Lord and look forward to 1st Thessalonians 4:15-20.

Mark Murphy's reply:

Thanks for your thoughts on our team, Daniel. Not sure there is a question here, but I appreciate the input. I shudder to think what you would say about our team if we were 3-12 rather than 12-3 now.

• Like 2

Perfect response...check the scoreboard dumbshit and stop complaining.

Would you rather be a Lions fan? They could really use your help.

Although with the Lions personnel moves, there's little hope that they know what they're doing.

Drafting Eric Ebron, when you could have had Aaron Donald?

Drafting 5th round players in the 2nd round?

The never-ending 2nd round bust curse?

Letting high draft picks like Laken Tomlinson and Kyle Van Noy go for nothing, just to see them as All Pros and Super Bowl teams?

Not drafting Dline higher the past 3 years when that group is screaming for help?

Overpaying for that backup Oline bust from the Eagles when that money could have paid for a pro-bowl level OG in Glasgow?

I honestly feel the Lions personnel would be better selected by a knowledgeable group of fans.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Perfect response...check the scoreboard dumbshit and stop complaining.

Would you rather be a Lions fan? They could really use your help.

There is this myth about the Packers: that everything here in Packer Land is Utopia, that Lambeau Field is Sacred Ground, and that all the players and fans are honorable and wholesome. We're not all like that.... :no:

You can easily recognize the serious armchair GM's when you're at the game. High-priced Packer jackets, they hardly ever smile or laugh, and after every bad play, they go off on indignant rants against the Coach and GM. As predictable as the rising sun!

• Like 1

that everything here in Packer Land is Utopia, that Lambeau Field is Sacred Ground, and that all the players and fans are honorable and wholesome.

I think this mentality exists in every city there is a football team (or in the fanbase).

As for the armchair stuff, yes I think it is true. A lot of those guys never figure out why they do not do the job.