Hot Stove Baseball

anagramking

The 2005 season is over, so it's time to start a thread about the deals and signings of the off-season. Front office shakeups will remain active for the managers and GMs and other front office personnel.

Here's the free agent tracker link at mlb.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/hot...ent_tracker.jsp

Frank Thomas exercised his option with the Sox, but the Sox refused the option on Carl Everett. Konerko is a free agent, and it will be interesting to see if he is wearing a White Sox uniform next season.

Nomar is a free agent, also. Check the link for more.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, as for things the Indians need to do, the first thing that I would do would be to pick up a power bat. Broussard is decent at first base, as with Blake in right field, but there are many other players who would do a much better job for a reasonable salary. I wouldn't mind picking up Mike Sweeny, considering he hit .300 last year with 140 hits, 21 jacks and 83 RBIs. Not sure if he's a free agent or not, but I feel that he's someone to look into. Paul Konerko is a free agent, but I doubt he would want to leave Chicago after their World Championship season. One last option is the rookie Ryan Garko, which might not be a bad idea if he can blossom like Sizemore has. As for a right fielder, I heard rumors that Manny wanted out of Boston and that one of the places he wanted to go was back to Cleveland. Who knows if that was serious, or if it was just Manny being Manny. As for the players already on the team, my three picks are to resign Kevin Millwood, Jake Westbrook, and Ronnie Belliard. Millwood and Westbrook put up fantastic numbers on the mound last year, and Belliard was stellar at second base. It's going to be a good season in 2006. trink39.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 31 2005, 09:54 PM)
Well, as for things the Indians need to do, the first thing that I would do would be to pick up a power bat. Broussard is decent at first base, as with Blake in right field, but there are many other players who would do a much better job for a reasonable salary. I wouldn't mind picking up Mike Sweeny, considering he hit .300 last year with 140 hits, 21 jacks and 83 RBIs. Not sure if he's a free agent or not, but I feel that he's someone to look into. Paul Konerko is a free agent, but I doubt he would want to leave Chicago after their World Championship season. One last option is the rookie Ryan Garko, which might not be a bad idea if he can blossom like Sizemore has. As for a right fielder, I heard rumors that Manny wanted out of Boston and that one of the places he wanted to go was back to Cleveland. Who knows if that was serious, or if it was just Manny being Manny. As for the players already on the team, my three picks are to resign Kevin Millwood, Jake Westbrook, and Ronnie Belliard. Millwood and Westbrook put up fantastic numbers on the mound last year, and Belliard was stellar at second base. It's going to be a good season in 2006. trink39.gif

Sweeney lives on the DL. Great when he's healthy, but expect at least 40 games on the DL. Teams should know what they're getting into when they decide to sign a guy like that.

As for Manny, that's Manny. Nobody is going to take that contract off Boston's hands. They're married to each other, whether they like it or not.

The Tribe has a group that likes to play together. They should be very careful about who they sign. I get the feeling they have more solid prospects in the farm system that will be brought up eventually. I think that their front office is going about things the right way. The best way to build a team is through the farm system, not in the free agency market. I think Cleveland is getting very close to something right now. Millwood might be gone, but I bet they have more guys coming up soon. Millwood is a bit iffy anyway. Actually, Westbrook is iffy as well. I learned that from FBB this past season. One thing the Tribe should do is make sure the bullpen is shored up, if nothing else.

As for Konerko, his market value shot up after the playoffs. One would hope that he remains with the Sox, but Reinsdorf is not known for paying guys market value. Konerko could be wearing a different uniform next year. Boston could sign him to play first base. They're always a front runner in any free agent derby now. (Forget the Yankees, they're stacked at first right now.) Think about that. Ortiz, Manny, Konerko in the heart of the order. But whatever goodwill that Reinsdorf gained from Sox fans this year could vanish if he doesn't sign Konerko.

Looking at what the Mariners need....

STARTING PITCHING!

Inconsistency from the starting rotation has been the Achilles heel of the Mariners these past two years. And it's not because the staff is young. Meche and Franklin have been horrible, and it's only recently that Piniero was starting to look good again.

Moyer is eligible for free agency, but if the Mariners are smart, they will keep him here. He's proven that even at his age, he still can pitch well without power. After all, it's not like age is causing him to lose velocity on his fastball; he never had any.

It seems the three biggest names on the pitching list are Burnett, Washburn, and Millwood. Not sure how Burnett would feel about the west coast and the American League, but I heard he is not invited back to the Marlins. I think Anaheim will keep Byrd and Washburn, or maybe let one of them go. Millwood appears to be a question mark.

I think Seattle may have to trade for pitching. The farm system has several good young infielders.

Bavasi has stated the other priority is getting a left handed bat with pop. Looking at the list, not many names stand out. Maybe Jacque Jones. The Mariners may need to trade for that need as well, possibly using Meche and/or Franklin as trade bait.

The third need was a good veteran catcher. Two names that stand out on that list are Brad Ausmus and Bengie Molina. Something tells me they are not going to new teams, though.

Beltre was a big disappointment for the Mariners. I wonder if he'll ever put up numbers like he did during that contract year wtih the Dodgers. Sexson was a good signing, though.

Olivo was not the catcher they had hoped for when they traded away Garcia. I think Seattle has a lot of needs, though. Second base, shortstop, and another outfielder, as well as catching, starting pitching and the bullpen. Playing in that division doesn't help matters, either. I think they have a lot of work to do. They were so good only a few years ago. Hard to believe they've fallen so far in that time.

I read that Burnett was to visit Toronto first. I dont know if hes worth the money hes asking for though. 10-15 million is too much for a pitcher if hes not your ace and with Halladay in Toronto, Burnett wont be. I'd rather see them go after a Millwood, Morris or Weaver for less and go after a hitter too if there willing to spend the kind of money that Burnett will demand.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 1 2005, 11:02 AM)
Beltre was a big disappointment for the Mariners.  I wonder if he'll ever put up numbers like he did during that contract year wtih the Dodgers.  Sexson was a good signing, though. 

Hopefully this year was just an adjustment to the AL for Beltre. I don't think the Mariner front office is hoping for the kind of numbers he put up in '04. But they would like him to put up at least 25 HRs and 80 RBIs a year. Defensively, he was great, which overcomes an issue the Mariners have had for many years with 3B.

Sexson has definitely been all we hoped for and more. Getting that left handed power bat behind him could help him be more productive as well since opposing pitchers won't be able to just pitch around him. Despite his tendency to strike out a lot, he was walked quite a bit this year.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 1 2005, 11:02 AM)
I think Seattle has a lot of needs, though.  Second base, shortstop, and another outfielder, as well as catching, starting pitching and the bullpen. 

Shortstop is no longer a concern. Betancourt is a human highlight reel at that position. Outfield is definitely a concern. Reed does well at CF, but really needs to be more productive at the plate. Maybe if we could get Jacque Jones, that could solve the outfield issue.

If Burnett is asking for that much, Seattle may let him pass as we have an up and coming ace and don't need to tie up that much money when it comes time to offer Felix a lucrative deal. Maybe we can grab Washburn from Anaheim. I seem to recall he had decent numbers pitching against us in Safeco.

The bullpen may not be too much of an issue. Soriano is back. His power is still there, he just needs to find his control again. Atchison could be a replacement for Hasegawa or Nelson (Nelson definitely won't be back, and it doesn't look like Hasegawa will be either). Even though we denied the option on Guardado's contract, I think he will take his option. I've heard many voices of dissent and question about why the front office didn't pick him back up as he had 32 saves this year. His shoulder is a concern that other teams may not want to chance, although Boston may grab him up. And if they do, Putz may be able to step into the closer role, although I'm not sure he's ready to fill those shoes full time yet.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 2 2005, 03:25 PM)
Guardado's option did get picked up:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Interesting. I remember last week, the word was that the front office was not going to pick up the option. Maybe they determined that, since the market is really thin on pitchers, he was needed. Which he is provided he can stay healthy. 27 consecutive saves was a great performance and he only blew 2 saves all year.

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Nov 4 2005, 06:00 PM)
The Big Hurt was bought out today for 3.5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2214118

That was expected. The question now is whether he gets resigned by the Sox. Who knows when that ankle will heal, if ever?

Btw, the Yount post belonged in the front office thread. My bad.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 4 2005, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (Raider917 @ Nov 4 2005, 06:00 PM)
The Big Hurt was bought out today for 3.5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2214118

That was expected. The question now is whether he gets resigned by the Sox. Who knows when that ankle will heal, if ever?

Btw, the Yount post belonged in the front office thread. My bad.

I predict he'll move on to another team....whether his career bounces back or not is up in the air....

Frank used to be my favorite player but when I learned about his greed for the big bucks and his alleged clubhouse negativity I quickly lost interest in him....too bad. He was an awesome force at the plate in the early '90's...

is anyone watching espn right now? they have steve phillips in a press conference with a red sox background. it seems like a mock press conference cause the journalists seem over eager. i caught it in the middle of it and dont know what it is.

Javier Vasquez has requested a trade from the D-Backs, citing family reasons. They got him in the Unit deal last year. Should be interesting to see what they get for him. I would bet Florida or Atlanta would be good candidates, as they are near his native Puerto Rico.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...e2005&fext=.jsp

The Red Sox must offer Damon arbitration by Dec. 7, otherwise they would lose the right to negotiate with him until May 1. Assuming Damon is offered arbitration, the Red Sox would then have until Jan. 8 to work out a deal with the left-handed hitter.

I'll try not to clutter this thread with news of journeyman players being traded for someone to be later, or other less significant transactions, but this one was kind of interesting. Geoff Blum, who played a minor but key role in the World Series for the White Sox, is heading back to San Diego.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...e2005&fext=.jsp

Archived