Am I the only person who likes Bravest Face and Good News First?

_hi_water._

I like them both. Not party mix tunes, but "care has been taken" as in all of their choices to include on the albums.

Rush is so very interesting to me, because of their choices of songs and the themes for an album. Every album has a theme and the songs that are played vary between catchy, technical, share with friends, appreciate by oneself.

Snakes & Arrows has a very "faithful" theme. There are going to be a couple of songs that speak to the theme, and some songs that play to it.

I listen to their albums in different ways. If I am going out in the car for errands and shopping, etc. I tend to play the "middle" albums. Catchy, fun, thoughtful, some great gems in each song, that I like.

At night and relaxed wanting to listen to an album, it will be an earlier release. Or the very end.

Vapor Trails is the most challenging to me. "B Flat" kind of scales, downward flows of sound, heavy and technical. But some moments are chilling and marvelous. Clockwork Angels also, but I put it down for a few months, today I love it.

But Snakes & Arrows I like all the songs. They may not inspire me to bike thirty kilometres on a hot day...but then Malignant Narcissism will bring an avalanche of energy. For a road trip? Certainly. Time to ponder.

Bravest Face and Good News First are like poetry. There are passages that hit home precisely and more displays of awesome mastery of their instruments, but they take commitment to appreciate.

I have said before, if an album is not your style, listen to it more. In the car, at home, on the boat, hiking with headphones. It will grow on you in different ways.

Me? Lately I play their albums (post 2112) at song 3 or 4. Don't always start from the beginning. There is a thing called "listening fatigue" and even our heroes can give us so much amazing talent that it is overwhelming.

You would be surprised at how fresh an album sounds when you cut in half way or just start after the initial front door to the themes. Can you tell I have been reading Neil's books?

And as always (loosely speaking), it is so great how one member worked on words, two others worked on songs, and they would collaborate back and forth to finalize a song. I hate when somebody says a song is garbage. Or not good.

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 4

Me? Lately I play their albums (post 2112) at song 3 or 4. Don't always start from the beginning. There is a thing called "listening fatigue" and even our heroes can give us so much amazing talent that it is overwhelming.

That's a great point. I find it difficult to start Moving Pictures with Tom Sawyer because that tune is so overplayed.
  • Like 1

That's a great point. I find it difficult to start Moving Pictures with Tom Sawyer because that tune is so overplayed.

That's the reason I often play albums (on cd) I know too well on random - one way to keep them fresh.

That's the reason I often play albums (on cd) I know too well on random - one way to keep them fresh.

I will also reorder album tracks as a playlist, especially late-career albums