Distortion / Overdrive pedal

physics23

Ever since my multi-effects processor passed on from this life, I've been without distortion on my electric guitar. My priorities at the moment are such that I can't afford an investment on the scale of another multi-effect processor - I'm gonna have to settle for the bare essentials.

I'd like to know what other people are using as far as distortion pedals. There are so many tempting colors and names, and probably whichever one I choose will entail a sacrifice of some kind. The one that sounds the most attractive is the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distorion, which claims to integrate both technologies. In America it sells for just over 70 bucks, which isn't bad.

Edited by physics23

I used to use a classic -- an MXR Distortion+. To me, it sounded the most "real." It wasn't heavy enough for Pantera-type metal, but I wasn't playing that stuff anyway. Those pedals are still available. When I went to all rack-mounted effects, I got a Rockman Distortion Generator. Nice smooth distortion, and it had a seperate lead boost footswitch, which was nice. But since it was made by Boston's Tom Scholz, it sounded too much like Boston, and I had to EQ the shit out of it to get a decent sound. Now I have a Marshall amp, and all my distortion comes from that.

Like you said, there are TONS of pedals out there now. Some will emulate a warm tube amp, some will sound like the fuzz boxes of old, some will model famous player's sounds (Eric Clapton from his Creem days, Dimebag Darrell, etc.) and some are meant for thrash metal. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Here's a couple that look interesting:

MXR Double Shot Distortion

Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2005, 10:32 AM)
What kind of sound are you looking for?

Presumably this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to be able to switch between a crude, rough, thick Albert Collins overdrive sound to the clean, bright, sharp distortion of Marty Friedman, with all the stuff in between. I play a lot more blues, though, so a pedal that can offer that warm tubular overdrive but won't be able to scream like a Jackson through a Marshall will be just fine. I do want to grind, though.

I still use my MXR Distortion+! I bought it in 1979 or 80. It still sounds better to me than anything else. A new one goes for $79.99 at Musician's Friend. I also occasionally use an Ibanez overdrive that's part of an early multi-effects unit that I bought many years ago for about $100 used. I am sure that the Ibanez overdrive that they make today isn't too different. My room mate swears by their Tube Screamer ($99.95 at Musician's Friend, $84.96 for an "Original Reissue"), but he uses about 5 different distortion pedals, in addition to his amp drives.

Being an owner of a POD I will also recommend any Line 6 box. They have a couple of distortion pedals for around $100, the CrunchTone looks the most appealing to me personally.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 7 2005, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2005, 10:32 AM)
What kind of sound are you looking for?

Presumably this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to be able to switch between a crude, rough, thick Albert Collins overdrive sound to the clean, bright, sharp distortion of Marty Friedman, with all the stuff in between. I play a lot more blues, though, so a pedal that can offer that warm tubular overdrive but won't be able to scream like a Jackson through a Marshall will be just fine. I do want to grind, though.

That's why I posted those two pedals. They have different distortion modes, giving you some flexability (as opposed to being just a "metal" box). The MXR Double Shot seems to be the next generation version of their classic Distortion+. And Cyg's recommendation of Line6 is a good one. I haven't heard their stomp boxes, but their modeling amps sound real good, and I imagine they share much of the same technology.

The Distortion+ is the standard for realistic-sounding stomp boxes, so you should definitely check one out, then use it as a reference point for auditioning other boxes. And who knows...you may just end up buying the D+!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 7 2005, 01:43 PM)
I still use my MXR Distortion+! I bought it in 1979 or 80. It still sounds better to me than anything else. A new one goes for $79.99 at Musician's Friend.

See? 1022.gif

I quit using stomp boxes when I got a nice tube amp with overdrive. I have a roland gp-100 processor which has many distortion settings on it and I used it sometimes but once you get a good overdrive though pushing tubes then it's hard to go back to ol stomp boxes, at least it was for me. Most of the time after shows, other guitar players would come up and compliment me on my "sound", sometimes more often than complimenting the way I played, but that's understandable, a lot of guitar players are like that, they always think they can do better no matter who they are watching play, even if they really can't LOL, although it's "cool" for them to compliment someones "sound/tone"....It's an ego thing I guess.

My advice is get a nice tube amp that has some sweet overdrive and you will throw all those stomp boxes away. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree but that's OK. We all are looking for different sounds, I got mine years ago and never looked back.

Opps, sorry, I read the first post and noticed you wanted to spend 70 bucks. My post is useless after reading that since a good tube amp will cost more than that. wink.gif

Edited by Indica

So today I finally drove to a music store and tried out some effects. First of all, I don't think I'm ever going back to multi-effects processors; they sound way too digital and artificial.

Surprizingly, I was not impressed with the MXR Doubleshot. I couldn't get good detail through it. (But then again, I didn't like the Strat they gave me to play either...) On the other hand, I did like the Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer. Very nice sound. It's Reasonably priced, too, which means I can probably get a volume pedal this winter also.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 13 2006, 09:02 AM)
Anyone remember these?

http://images.andale.com/f2/105/107/22653212/1132853160540_Big_Muff_USA.jpg

My first distortion pedal WAY back, I think in 77 or so.

The first guitarist I played with had one of those.

I took an electronics class in high school and made a really cheap distortion pedal. It sounded like ass. I think I used it twice.

The Ibanez is a well liked box. I can't imagine it's too different from the one in my old Ibanez analog multi. A friend of mine swears by the tube screamer.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 7 2005, 10:04 AM)
Ever since my multi-effects processor passed on from this life, I've been without distortion on my electric guitar. My priorities at the moment are such that I can't afford an investment on the scale of another multi-effect processor - I'm gonna have to settle for the bare essentials.
I'd like to know what other people are using as far as distortion pedals. There are so many tempting colors and names, and probably whichever one I choose will entail a sacrifice of some kind. The one that sounds the most attractive is the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distorion, which claims to integrate both technologies. In America it sells for just over 70 bucks, which isn't bad.

IMO.... go with the OS-2. It's a good one, I'm getting it too.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 15 2006, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 7 2005, 10:04 AM)

IMO.... go with the OS-2. It's a good one, I'm getting it too.

The store I checked out Friday doesn't carry Boss gear. I'm pretty sure my allegiance is sworn to the Ibanez TS9 now, but I'll try to find a place with the OS-2.

On a related note, it's interesting that I walked into the store basically fixed on the idea of getting a multi-effects processor, and ended up completely abandoning that idea by the time I left. I learned an important lesson: not to judge equipment solely on the basis of online reviews and prior experience; there is no substitute for actually hooking up to an amp and playing some chops to hear how it sounds.

I swore I would never use a multi-effects floor processor, but i gotta admit, I really like the GNX-3 I got sitting on the floor.

It allows you to have a red (distortion) and Green (clean) channel, but get this...

Not only does it feature some damn good amp models, but each channel can have it's own array of amps, cabinets, cabinet tunings, and effects.

For instance, on some songs, I use a Hi-Gain distortion amp with a vintage 4x12 cabinet, and for the clean parts, I switch over to a tweed amp with a 2x12 cabinet.

and it does it by one footswitch, or midi.

there are 64 user settings, each has a green channel and a red channel fully customizable.

it even has a pickup modeler, which I really like as well.

The wah can be a whammy pedal or a wah, and you set the limits up the way you want.

The reason I like it the most, though, is it sounds great going straight to the mixing board.

Keep in mind, different applications require different setups.

Although I like a good tube amp, since we use in-ear monitors, i need a good-direct to board effects processor so I can hear it better in the mix.

If you have the ability to actually use an amp, then a good amp may be more of what you need.

Edited by Geds

I used to really love Digi-Tech multi effects units. I haven't heard their amp modelers though. I just can't get behind digital modulation effects (chorus, flange, phasers). The sample rates just aren't high enough in consumer units yet. The delays and verbs can sound really good. I still occasionally use my old TSR-12 for vocals in a live application. I used to have an RP-12 and still have an RP-10 that needs some serious help. I am hoping to find a cheap RP-20 becuase it has an actual tube in it. Hard to get away from my POD though. Love that thing!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 17 2006, 03:14 AM)
I used to really love Digi-Tech multi effects units. I haven't heard their amp modelers though. I just can't get behind digital modulation effects (chorus, flange, phasers). The sample rates just aren't high enough in consumer units yet. The delays and verbs can sound really good. I still occasionally use my old TSR-12 for vocals in a live application. I used to have an RP-12 and still have an RP-10 that needs some serious help. I am hoping to find a cheap RP-20 becuase it has an actual tube in it. Hard to get away from my POD though. Love that thing!

I hear ya on the RP models...but I really feel they did well with the GNX series. The modelers are great imo, and make up for the effects....although those are MUCH better as well. Cleaner overall, too, not having 15 pedals to run through.

I'm getting another one, i like it so much.

i ve got os-2...

i think i got ripped off...i bought it for AU$175 comp26.gif

i dont know how to define a good pedal...this is the first and only pedal i have. i rarely use the overdrive...just switch everything to max (pointing bottom right) except for volume ofcos...

if i have the choice to choose the pedal again...i ll probably get the ds-1 because it's more traditional and less complex, better ratings from the internet tongue.gif

I always prefered the Jimi Hendrix method. Sheer volume. But normally that isn't very practical anymore. Everywhere you go now days has a max DB law. So I settled for an old Boss DS-1 stomper. I don't play in a band anymore anyway so I don't need pro gear anymore. I just jam in my room, through an old Fender Princeton, which I have never turned up louder than 3 anyway. My neighbors would scream bloody murder if I did. rofl3.gif

For me, the pedals/ effects are just not there for the distortion anymore.

If there is one thing Alex Lifeson has taught me about playing guitar, it's when to NOT be there...or when to be just BARELY there. Alex's guitar parts are often transparent, and yet, without them, it isn't RUSH.

That's the sign of someone who looks at the whole picture, not the sign of a hotshot guitar player.

Because of that, I believe you need a good ALL-ROUND effects package...distortion, in my opinion, while important, is secondary.

What does that clean sound do for ya?

If you got a great distortion, and an ok clean setup...you will lack the ability to play a lot of stuff accurately.

However, if you have a pretty good distortion, and a dynamite clean section....you have more flexibilty.

of course, it also depends on what style you're playing....

I'm talking about playing Rush.

Just my opinion....which usually stinks.

trink39.gif

Anyone know what good brand there is for Flange? Looking just for a single.

So far the Boss BF-3 Flanger and Line 6 ToneCore Liqua-Flange pedal is looking good. I know Line 6 has that awesome POD. But I don't know a lot about Boss. I just wanna play Barracuda with an awesome effect! laugh.gif no seriously i'm starting to gather up pedals because I have nothing right now (also I have been treating my drumset with royalty andnothing for my guitars!!). I'm not sure about the multi-effects. So right now i'm just looking for singles to make a collection. A possiblity that I will be recording with this pedal as well. anyone have any info? trink39.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ May 7 2006, 12:42 PM)

So far the Boss BF-3 Flanger and Line 6 ToneCore Liqua-Flange pedal is looking good.  I know Line 6 has that awesome POD.  But I don't know a lot about Boss.  I just wanna play Barracuda with an awesome effect!  laugh.gif  no seriously i'm starting to gather up pedals because I have nothing right now (also I have been treating my drumset with royalty andnothing for my guitars!!).  I'm not sure about the multi-effects.  So right now i'm just looking for singles to make a collection.  A possiblity that I will be recording with this pedal as well. anyone have any info?  trink39.gif

When it comes to flangers, I'm old school. I have a rack full of modern digital delays and harmonizers, and they all do flanging. But none of them flange as good as my old MXR Flanger. It has that classic swooping jet engine sound that the newer units can't seem to replicate (IMO). MXR doesn't produce it anymore, but you can grab one off of eBay. The newer M-117R (reissue) is the better one because they fixed a volume drop problem that the older units had. The only thing is, these things are expensive. Both the older ones and the reissues fetch between $100-$150 on eBay. They get that much because nothing sounds like it.

eBay MXR Flanger

Another good sounding old unit is the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger. Alex used to use this one, and you can hear it at the very end of "Jacob's Ladder" on ESL. But they're not as sturdy as the MXR.

eBay Elec. Mistress flanger

I haven't heard any of the newer stomp boxes. They might very well sound great. I know the MXR would give you that "Barracuda" effect.

I first saw this Musician's Friend link which showed that MXR Flanger was discontinued: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gui...ects?sku=151105

And D-13 sent me this one where it was still available: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gui...ects?sku=151122

My link is for the M-117, and D's is for the M-117R (the reissue). So, it can still be had brand new.

QUOTE (D-13 @ May 7 2006, 11:42 AM)

So far the Boss BF-3 Flanger and Line 6 ToneCore Liqua-Flange pedal is looking good.  I know Line 6 has that awesome POD.  But I don't know a lot about Boss.  I just wanna play Barracuda with an awesome effect!  laugh.gif  no seriously i'm starting to gather up pedals because I have nothing right now (also I have been treating my drumset with royalty andnothing for my guitars!!).  I'm not sure about the multi-effects.  So right now i'm just looking for singles to make a collection.  A possiblity that I will be recording with this pedal as well. anyone have any info?  trink39.gif

I bought a TC Electronics chorus/Flange on Ebay - My friend is a longtime musician and says it's the best he's ever heard - It's a little on the steep side but well worth it -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/481f2f09ec11419bab893316fa63a2bc-21.jpg