Do Rush have many bandwagon fans?

Texas King

Interesting to see the term "bandwagon fans" and bandwagon in relation to music in general since it's a term that I myself used without realizing others were using it. Anyway not sure your definition of bandwagon fans but my definition would be fans who are just into the band because they think it's cool and because all their other friends are into them. The band most guilty, imo, of having fans like this is by far the Grateful Dead.

Here's my list of bandwagon bands from most obvious to not so much but still probably has fans like that:

Grateful Dead

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Radiohead

Phish

Rush (especially in the last ten years and I mean no disrespect to the many true Rush fans out there)

Metallica

The Beatles

The Doors

U2

The Rolling Stones

Nirvana (maybe not so much now)

Pearl Jam (ditto above)

AC/DC

Tool

Not sure who else but I'm sure I missed some really important ones. Also, feel free to disagree with some on my list since I could be off on a few.

Never really a bandwagon band imo but have fans who are really into them nonetheless:

The Who

The Police

Yes

Genesis

King Crimson

Gentle Giant

Van der Graaf Generator (heck any well known prog band for that matter including this band and the last four in particular)

Any arena rock or hard rock band from 70's to 90's.

Van Halen (they fall into above category but interesting that their fans seem split between the Hagar and DLR era)

Is it possible that everyone seems to like, say, The Stones because they were great?

In that case you could say the same about the Beatles. If we do then we can extend it to many others as well since "greatness" is subjective.

You could say it about the Beatles. And greatness is subjective. But do you think it’s at all significant that a higher percentage of people think, say, Led Zeppelin is great than think Kajagoogoo is great? Popularity =/= greatness, but they’re also not as inversely proportional as some on this board think either.

A higher percentage of people think Brittany Spears and Madonna is better than Kajagoogoo too for that matter or Missing Persons to throw in another eighties new wave band. So what? Besides, Kajagoogoo had Nick Beggs on bass. Did you know that? DO you know who Nick Beggs is? We all know popularlity doesn't equal greater than less popular. Well maybe you don't but most do.

I would argue that popularity is indeed a part of the greatness formula, in that talent that resonates among the masses better defines "greatness" than talent that lives in obscurity and has little impact.

Notice the tired application of Britney Spears (notwithstanding the mispelling) to the concept of "popular but not talented," schtick. As if she's the embodiment of someone without talent. I don't know where these people come from, who think that only obscure artists have talent. One hit wonders capture lightning in a bottle. Artists who sell albums for a decade usually have a little more to them.

Britney is also kind of an elder stateswoman at this point and has some bangers.

In her heyday she was very sexy, a fantastic dancer and her limited vocals were perfectly suited to huge hooks and her career is full of very well respected pop singles. The few times she wrote her own lyrics she received critical acclaim (see Every Time).

I like Britney. Talented she is and very charismatic. She oozed star quality, something indefinable that leaves her still very much adored.