Genetic counselling regarding "cancer gene"

toymaker

I know this is a decision I have to make for myself, but I thought I would throw this out there to see what folks think.

My family carries a "cancer gene" called the BRCA-1 gene, primarily responsible for breast cancer (which men can get, apparently). Many of my family members who were tested and told they carry the gene decided to get various elective surgeries as pre-emptive measures. Of my immediate family, I am the only one who opted not to get tested years ago. My reasoning at the time was that if I discovered I carried the gene, I would start thinking every new pain was cancer and my quality of life would decline. I'd never planned to have children, so passing on the cancer gene was not an issue.

Since my wife died of cancer last year, and my sister has been living with cancer, I am thinking about it more. Since my wife's death, I have existed in a state of indifference - that is to say, if my doctor told me tomorrow that I had cancer, I would probably shrug my shoulders and say "whatever." Having witnessed what people with cancer go through when being treated, I'm not even sure I would opt for treatment, unless there was a pretty strong guarantee that it would cure me. As I have witnessed, long-term exposure to these treatment drugs really degrades the quality of life and, in my wife's case, made her final days very unpleasant - and the doctors pretty much just resorted to increasing her doses of fentanyl until she was just asleep all the time until her heart gave out.

Now my doctor is encouraging me to get "genetic counselling" - to talk with a professional about the pros and cons of getting tested, I guess. If it turns out I have the gene, I would be eligible for screening tests much earlier than is usual (the whole fetal position/rubber glove nastiness and other things, I guess). Also, carrying the gene doesn't necessarily mean I will get cancer (although I fully expect that I will be part of the 50% of people who do get it). Another "pro" (?) is that finding out would mean I could become more informed and prepared (if that's actually possible) about getting the illness.

If I ever get cancer and am told that treatment will only prolong my life, I am certain I will say no to treatment and spend my final days ingesting various cannabis-oil infused goodies, eating whatever the hell I want, watching movies, listening to music and playing guitar until I can't any more. Anyway, I'm undecided about the testing and even the counselling and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Sorry to be a bummer!

Whenever someone tells me I should stop eating this or drinking that, I always just say - but that stuff tastes good. Anyway, aspartame and growth hormones and chemical additives can just get in line behind all the other crap that's trying to kill me - UV from the sun, toxic particles in the air, out-of-control cells in my body, whatever . . .

First of all: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Second: :hug2:

Third: I believe your health starts eating the best according to your blood type.

The chemicals get different and your body may respond better.

Please read this book:

Eat Right 4 Your Type (Revised and Updated): The Individualized Blood Type Solution, written by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo.

I hope it helps. :)

Edited by Verena
  • Like 1

TM, I am sorry about your wife .. it is a topic that strikes close to home as I lost my dear sister two and a half years ago to lymphoma ( which was, as I was told, most likely a result of untreated Hep C )

Fear and misinformation are only two of the many bits of ammo that the medical industrial complex is using

Here is an informative article :

BRCA1 and BRCA2 (which stand for Breast Cancer 1 and 2) are tumor suppressor genes. They produce a protein which assists in DNA damage repair caused by, according to the U.S. National Institute of Health, “natural and medical radiation or other environmental exposures.” If there is a mutation in this gene, then what is actually happening is that the gene is not doing its job. I.e. the DNA damage is not being repaired, thus leading to a higher risk of cancer.

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/angelina-jolie-brca-gene/

• Like 1

Sorry about your wife. I can understand why you're feeling indifferent.

That's a tough dilemma. I would probably like to know so I could better my chances of a better health. My family on my father's side has a history of colon cancer, which I've been tested for. Every second or third year I have to have a colonoscopy done, unless I notice changes when I'm on the toilet, then I have to be checked sooner. It's not something I like to think about, and a colonoscopy is not something I look forward too at all. My grandmother had colon cancer and survived, my father got it and died. So the thought of cancer is never far away, but I'd rather know if I have it so I can be treated when the changes of cure is highest. I don't know if that's the same with your situation, but I hope early diagnosis can leave you with greater change of cure, should you be so unfortunately.

Seeing what cancer does when it has its grip on a person, leaves me knowing that if I ever got it that bad, I would say my goodbyes and end it myself.

Damn, old sores still bleed.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. My consultation isn't until March so I have plenty of time to think about it . . . . geez. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I know this is a decision I have to make for myself, but I thought I would throw this out there to see what folks think.

My family carries a "cancer gene" called the BRCA-1 gene, primarily responsible for breast cancer (which men can get, apparently). Many of my family members who were tested and told they carry the gene decided to get various elective surgeries as pre-emptive measures. Of my immediate family, I am the only one who opted not to get tested years ago. My reasoning at the time was that if I discovered I carried the gene, I would start thinking every new pain was cancer and my quality of life would decline. I'd never planned to have children, so passing on the cancer gene was not an issue.

Since my wife died of cancer last year, and my sister has been living with cancer, I am thinking about it more. Since my wife's death, I have existed in a state of indifference - that is to say, if my doctor told me tomorrow that I had cancer, I would probably shrug my shoulders and say "whatever." Having witnessed what people with cancer go through when being treated, I'm not even sure I would opt for treatment, unless there was a pretty strong guarantee that it would cure me. As I have witnessed, long-term exposure to these treatment drugs really degrades the quality of life and, in my wife's case, made her final days very unpleasant - and the doctors pretty much just resorted to increasing her doses of fentanyl until she was just asleep all the time until her heart gave out.

Now my doctor is encouraging me to get "genetic counselling" - to talk with a professional about the pros and cons of getting tested, I guess. If it turns out I have the gene, I would be eligible for screening tests much earlier than is usual (the whole fetal position/rubber glove nastiness and other things, I guess). Also, carrying the gene doesn't necessarily mean I will get cancer (although I fully expect that I will be part of the 50% of people who do get it). Another "pro" (?) is that finding out would mean I could become more informed and prepared (if that's actually possible) about getting the illness.

If I ever get cancer and am told that treatment will only prolong my life, I am certain I will say no to treatment and spend my final days ingesting various cannabis-oil infused goodies, eating whatever the hell I want, watching movies, listening to music and playing guitar until I can't any more. Anyway, I'm undecided about the testing and even the counselling and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Sorry to be a bummer!

Whenever someone tells me I should stop eating this or drinking that, I always just say - but that stuff tastes good. Anyway, aspartame and growth hormones and chemical additives can just get in line behind all the other crap that's trying to kill me - UV from the sun, toxic particles in the air, out-of-control cells in my body, whatever . . .

:hug2:

I have had two very close friends (women) who have lost a mother to breast cancer that were in your position. They decided knowledge is power, were tested, and were glad they did. (Both came up negative, by the way.)

You might decide the same for yourself, knowledge IS power. That's step one. The results of that determine where you go from there, or if you indeed choose to go anywhere. I don't mean to be sounding judgmental, but worrying about your cancer treatment is jumping ahead to like step 15. You can decide to have the test and then just take things one step at a time; or not do anything at all after that. I know how difficult it must be with everything you went through with your wife coloring your decision, but you will make the right decision for yourself in the end. :hug2: (Wow, March is a ways away, though.)

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with your line of thinking. I'd do the same if I found out I had cancer.

There doesn't seem to be any point in getting genetic counseling. If it were me, I don't think I would do it. It's not going to save me.

• Like 1