QUICK!: Yout top five animated films

goose

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

I prefer Mononoke to Totoro but otherwise same top five (maybe six lol).

I love all of them but Totoro is just so sweet I had to put it in.

A top five is impossible for me as well as I love them all too.

I'm in the minority it seems but I could envision a list where Spirited Away isn't top five but Ponyo is.

My least favourite of Miyazaki's movies is Porco Rosso. And that is a real beauty!

That's my least favorite too. How could I forget about Ponyo? I actually just went out and bought that and Kiki's Delivery Service on blu-ray a couple of weeks ago.

:ranton:

I like Kiki's Delivery Service. But to me it's interesting because it mimics what happens to teens here in the last 2 months of high school. They go from having their lunch boxes made by their mums every day all the way up to the end of January of their senior year [they graduate the first week of March] to living alone in a flat in a different city and going to uni by the end of March. In those two months they take their college boards, possibly fail them and retake them, graduate high school, go apartment hunting with their mums in their college town, then move all their stuff in. On the surface it's similar to what high school seniors in the west go through. But it really isn't. Teens here are more dependent on their parents than western kids. So, the change is much more drastic and a lot quicker.

Kiki's abrupt life change really mirrors this real world situation and I'm not sure that gets across to western audiences.

(Not that you'd have to realize that to enjoy the movie, but it does put it in perspective. Or, at least, a different perspective.)

:rantoff:

:)

I don't consider that a rant, but an interesting insight to a different culture.

:cheers:

Yeah, it's not really a rant but I couldn't find anything under "I've got a lot to say though it's nothing negative but it might be considered babbling" :LOL:

• Like 1

Monsters vs aliens

I love this movie! So many great lines...

With a 3 and 6 year old in the house, I not only see EVERY contemporary animated movie, but I see almost every one on a regular rotation. Monsters vs Aliens is one of my favorites. I love the general, "W.R. Monger." And Stephen Colbert's prissy/pompous president. All the cultural references, esp to old sci-fi movies, are great. We were driving and the Close Encounters five-note theme came on he radio and my six year-old said, "Daddy, it's the music from Monsters vs Aliens!" Yeah, he's right actually. Someday he'll learn where it started.

1. Coraline

2. Corpse Bride

3. Mary And Max

4. Frankenweenie

5. Monsters Inc.

I'll add a bonus: My Little Pony.

It's beautiful, it has a great story, characters grow and it teaches children.

It's also entertaining for the adults.

1. The Lion King: That movie came out the same year I was born, I really love the music also cub Simba is one of the cutest Disney protagonists, especially when he sneezes while being anointed by Rafiki (The Mandrill)
  2. Ratatouille: Being an avid francophile, and gastronome this movie comes at no surprise, I really love the music in this film as well, especially the use of French Swing Music. I also really love how the character Collete's last name is Tatou which translates from French as "Armadillo" which is one of my favorite animals.
  3. How to Train your Dragon: This movie made me fall in love with dragons most particular the Night Fury (aka. Toothless) elusive and stealthy often regardless as the most deadly of all dragons, but once tamed is the most sociable and loyal of all the dragons, besides who wouldn't like to have a pet dragon who could take you on amazing adventures, not to mention actor Jay Baruchel who voices the titular Hiccup also was the tax collector in the Clockwork Angel's Tour Skit.
  4. Robin Hood: This 1973 Classic is on here because as an avid lover of archery, it makes sense that I would like this film, I also love how the characters are played by anthropomorphic animals (Foxes, Bears, Rabbits etc.) which in my mind makes the film rather quirky and unique. I often describe this film as a zoo meets a renaissance faire.
  5. Anything by Aardman: Being an avid fan of Animation originating from the States my favorite foreign animation studio hails just across the pond in Bristol, England. As much as I liked their newest film Early Man my favorite Aardman creation is probably Wallace and Gromit, I love how Wallace's inventions at least some of them have a sort of Rube Goldberg-esque concept to them, especially the wake-up device where the bed is on a tilting platform which slides it's occupant down a trapdoor on to an awaiting chair in the dining room.