Stay Safe England (Ariana Grande concert tragedy)

Boots

Russell Brand posted a thoughtful entry on his blog:

As I read the news of these sad murders in Manchester, posted directly to my home screen I engage in the futile mental gymnastics of trying to understand. Trying to understand the grief of survivors, the gaping bereavement of family members. The fierce and insular insanity of the perpetrator. I am baffled by the scope of our human capacity to feel or not feel. To love or not love. To kill.

Futile even to try to understand the confusion of those directly affected, in their sudden, jagged pain. The vertigo of unexpected loss. Their journey is just beginning, a thousand unfolding horrors await. Tickets to a gig, a pleasing memento converted to a marker of this pointless pain. A life time to wonder what might've been or not been.

Terror is so called perhaps in part because it cannot ever be stopped. We know this don't we? We know we can't stop people turning cars, planes and public spaces into accessories to murder. There can never be enough metal detectors or screening procedures, or checks or bans or vengeful responses. There will always be people in the world that find a flag under which to this express unfathomable cruelty. I cannot understand it. There are too many things I love to abandon my life to hatred, starting with my girlfriend and daughter all the way to places I've been and unthinkingly enjoyed, like Manchester. What depths must be inhabited to inflict such suffering? Thank God I can't imagine it.

Neither can I imagine the grief of those adrift in delirious sadness, the choking, coiling misery.

Just the sharp pang when I look at that little girl's smiling face.

My mind is too limited for these extremes and these extremists driven by goals that I do not understand. I hope I never know the pain. I don't pretend to understand the victims, the bereaved, or the perpetrator. I have a sense that hatred comes from hatred and love comes from love. Perhaps there is a simple duty for those of us not directly affected - to know that we can't hate our way out of this. To be loving and to be strong. At times like this to be loving takes incredible strength. As that peculiar and great son of Manchester, Morrissey said "It's easy to laugh, it's easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind." Observe how this event is reported. Observe how it is used. Stay true to love and try to be strong and kind.

#ManchesterBombing #WeStandTogether

Brand is THE MAN!

He has truly said it all.

Great guy.

Weird, I just saw a documentary earlier today about the 1996 Manchester bombing. :rose:

I remember seeing the wreckage a few days later.

Tree , how far is this from you?

About 15 miles.

or about 24 kilometers.

:banana:

19 people confirmed dead, over 50 injured...

Fukkin' bloody bastards!

"KILL 'EM ALL!"

Signed,

METALLICA

I appreciate the sentiment, but It was coined centuries before Metallica borrowed it. July 22, 1209, A member of the Then pope's 'crusaders' was attributed as saying this phrase before these 'crusaders' crushed the town, made up of catholics, and a division called Cathars. The Cathars were deemed heretics by the Pope, and he wanted them'abolished'. When the town they lived in refused to 'point out' the 'heretics', The Pope's 'Crusader Leader' was instructed to 'abolish' them all. When a subordinate asked how to tell Catholics from 'heretics' The 'officer'[Arnald Amalric] reportedly said “Kill them all, for the Lord knows his own”.

wow...

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 2

I think Ariana and The Eagles of Death Metal shows were targets because they're from the US. Terrorists hate America. What happened is a performer's worst nightmare. It will be a long time before Ariana plays another show. I can imagine her travelling around with more security than Trump.

Security was pretty lax at some of the concerts I've been to in recent years. Some venues think they don't need to worry if it's not a metal band. There were no bag checks when I went to see Rush, the Killers, Heart, and Jesse Cook. I snuck a huge briefcase into a Shania Twain concert in 2015 because I came straight from the office and no one noticed.

Edited by Boots

Fukkin' bloody bastards!

"KILL 'EM ALL!"

Signed,

METALLICA

I appreciate the sentiment, but It was coined centuries before Metallica borrowed it. July 22, 1209, A member of the Then pope's 'crusaders' was attributed as saying this phrase before these 'crusaders' crushed the town, made up of catholics, and a division called Cathars. The Cathars were deemed heretics by the Pope, and he wanted them'abolished'. When the town they lived in refused to 'point out' the 'heretics', The Pope's 'Crusader Leader' was instructed to 'abolish' them all. When a subordinate asked how to tell Catholics from 'heretics' The 'officer'[Arnald Amalric] reportedly said “Kill them all, for the Lord knows his own”.

wow...

Wow! I never knew that! Thanks for the educational post!

• Like 1

Fukkin' bloody bastards!

"KILL 'EM ALL!"

Signed,

METALLICA

wow...

That's the spirit!

• Like 1

Fukkin' bloody bastards!

"KILL 'EM ALL!"

Signed,

METALLICA

wow...

Wow! I never knew that! Thanks for the educational post!

That's the kinda stuff that gets my BRAIN going. I catch on a subject that makes me say "HMMMMMMM." So I looked up the quote. I just had an idea that maybe that quote was older than Metallica, and wondered how much older....I knew also about the Edmund Burke quote which had come into controversy in the last few decades, so I decided to look this one up! Surprised the HECK outa me!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Thumbs%20up%20banana%202%20sm_1.jpg

• Like 2

I think Ariana and The Eagles of Death Metal shows were targets because they're from the US. Terrorists hate America. What happened is a performer's worst nightmare. It will be a long time before Ariana plays another show. I can imagine her travelling around with more security than Trump.

Security was pretty lax at some of the concerts I've been to in recent years. Some venues think they don't need to worry if it's not a metal band. There were no bag checks when I went to see Rush, the Killers, Heart, and Jesse Cook. I snuck a huge briefcase into a Shania Twain concert in 2015 because I came straight from the office and no one noticed.

If you do some research there have been more terrorist attacks in Europe than the us in recent years and most of the victims were not from the us so I think it is a bit of a disservice to say they hate America more than anyone else. The goal of these particular types of terrorists is to make everyone else in the world live by their set of rules. Even China has had attacks.

As far as security goes that has not been my experience. Where I live you couldn't get an empty suitcase in an arena and every bag is checked. We have to take our wallets, keys, phones out and hold them up or out them in a box while going through a detector or a wanding and you have to remove your hat so they can see under.

• Like 4

I talk to a woman who lives in Nottingham, we've been messaging each other for about 8 years now. We talked about this incident for a bit and I asked if she was okay. She's emotionally fine although it's a huge story in the UK (naturally) and we had a level-headed conversation about the whole ordeal. Then... This morning she decided to link me this: http://www.veteranst...17/05/23/man22/

She - I'm not joking here - believes it was an inside job. A 22 year old man kills 22 innocents on the 22nd...

G0vern3m3n3ntal C0nspiracacacy!!!!!111

Yep,

How did this piece of sh** pass security with what he had. It's complete BS!!

Next time you go to an arena gig look around you on the way out of the venue and you will see a lot of potential security issues. Hopefully things will tighten up but in the long run I don't think so.

That's my point,

They really don't care. Plus the people their cannot own a gun. Pathetic!!

You're wrong about this troutman. Here in Tampa security doesn't really start until right at the entrance to the venues so a person wishing to target a crowd could theoretically detonate where the queue for security starts. If they made a larger perimeter there would still be a point where security starts and people are liable to get bunched up. It's even the same at airports. The only potentially foolproof way to stop every risk is the police state.

You and I would have never made it through security.

What's that mean?

It means that in a Western world dominated and run by White people Asian people can come and go as they please and those same white people are complicit in this. In Donald Trump's America immigrants get free passage.

Or something like that... :facepalm:

He still doesn't grasp that the murderer was not inside the venue.

What he thinks is what he knows.

Whites, Asians and Trump. Okay. :laughing guy: