Favorite Irish folk bands?

Rutlefan

Or Celtic/Scottish/etc. traditional/folk whatever. Seems like a good topic for "St. Patrick's" Day. I'm not very knowledgeable in that I know some of the main ones -- The Chieftans, Clannad, and the like, but not exhaustively at all -- but am curious about others I might not have heard as generally I really like the music.

Here's two that I've stumbled across over the years that I really love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USzUiPFSK4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm5y0QYFtzI

Edit: Changed the erroneous "St. Patty" to "St. Patrick." "St. Paddy" might be an accurate diminutive (don't get to use that word very often) but is still not preferred. :no:

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I dated an Irish girl back in the 80s who used to take me to a pub called the harp and thistle on St pete beach here locally. They were a stop that Irish musicians that played traditional music would play when touring the states. I saw a ton of fascinating acts there and I wish I could remember them to look them up.
  • Like 4

Really? Makes sense. You're a sharp one. You know a lot about bastardisations apparently. I'll be careful not to use "x-mas" if the opportunity ever comes. Thanks for the list though. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Really? Makes sense. You're a sharp one. You know a lot about bastardisations apparently. I'll be careful not to use "x-mas" if the opportunity ever comes. Thanks for the list though.

Do I? Elucidate please.

I'm Irish, and I deplore what has become of our saint's day. Paddy/Patty sickens me, these are abhorrent terms to some of us over here.

Call it Xmas all you like.

I can sympathize actually. I'm not normally one for abbreviations but as this is a Rush forum I just wrote it "informally" without giving it much thought really (I would never actually say St. Paddy even though it's not uncommon here). Far be it from me to be flip about St. Patrick.

Edit: Since we're on the subject, Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Edited by Rutlefan

Really? Makes sense. You're a sharp one. You know a lot about bastardisations apparently. I'll be careful not to use "x-mas" if the opportunity ever comes. Thanks for the list though.

You lost me. Paddy and Patty are hardly the same thing.

Yes, I know. "Pádraig (Irish: [ˈpˠaːd̪ˠɾˠəɟ]) is an Irish male name deriving from the Latin Patricius, meaning "of the patrician class", introduced via the name of Saint Patrick. Patrick is the English version, via Old French. Diminutives include Páidín (Anglicised as "Paddy")."

I wrote Patty without giving it any thought, really. I'm pretty sure I'll never make that mistake again. I don't think I'll ever write Paddy again! :cheers:

Yes, I know. "Pádraig (Irish: [ˈpˠaːd̪ˠɾˠəɟ]) is an Irish male name deriving from the Latin Patricius, meaning "of the patrician class", introduced via the name of Saint Patrick. Patrick is the English version, via Old French. Diminutives include Páidín (Anglicised as "Paddy")."

I wrote Patty without giving it any thought, really. I'm pretty sure I'll never make that mistake again. I don't think I'll ever write Paddy again! :cheers:

The man knows how to google!

I met my love by the gas works wall

Dreamed a dream by the old canal

Kissed my girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

• Like 1

Captain Tractor (The Last Saskatchewan Pirate) from Western Canada. I don't really follow too much of it but I used to watch the Irish Rovers on TV if that counts for anything ... ok, I'm leaving now and hope yous all have fun until sobriety rears it's ugly head.

The Pogues

They were actually a very good traditional Irish band but best know for Shane "mines a Guinness" MacGowan.

How the f**k he is still alive is any ones guess.

They were originally called Pogue Mahone which is Gaelic for kiss my ass

Clannad were known for their cover of "After The Goldrush" by Neil Young and are still going.

The Corrs were actually very good in their early days and featured in the film "The Commitments" before Robert John Lange turned them into a horrible horrible pop version of the dreadful Def Leppard.

• Like 1

Thin Lizzy started up with Phil and Brian Downey in a band called "Orphanage" in the late 60's. They were playing in Belfast supporting Eric Bell's band. Eric was a huge Clapton and Rory Gallagher fan and asked Phil and Brian to join as he thought he could work his guitar into Phil's Celtic rock songs.

They did some gigs out in the country supporting the big bands in clubs at the time where everyone looked at them (especially Phil) like they had arrived from Mars.

They decided to relocate to London and got a cancellation gig to fill in at the Marque. They were called Tin Lizzy at the time after a medieval torture instrument but the Marque manager took their manager's Irish accent as "Thin Lizzy", so that is what they were billed as.

They got absolute rave revues in the press so decided to keep the name change.

They rehearsed in Kilburn in a pub and after a couple of unsuccessful albums they were on the verge of being dropped from the label.

Bored one afternoon, Phil picked up an acoustic guitar and started jamming Whisky in The Jar oh in the original way and Brian joined in.

Their manager said they should release it, but the band said "no no this is the shit we are trying to leave behind"

They were persuaded and adapted the song, it went into the top 10 and the rest is history.

Steve

The Pogues

They were actually a very good traditional Irish band but best know for Shane "mines a Guinness" MacGowan.

How the f**k he is still alive is any ones guess.

They were originally called Pogue Mahone which is Gaelic for kiss my ass

Clannad were known for their cover of "After The Goldrush" by Neil Young and are still going.

The Corrs were actually very good in their early days and featured in the film "The Commitments" before Robert John Lange turned them into a horrible horrible pop version of the dreadful Def Leppard.

I love The Corrs.

They never turned into Def Leppard lol

• Like 1