String Gauges

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Cyg, we started to discuss this when I was in Cali...

Right now on both my Strat and Les Paul I use Custom Light gauge strings, which range from .009 to .046. The problem is, I have trouble getting good intonation on the low-E string on both guitars (too sharp, and the bridge saddle won't adjust back any more -- I even took the saddle spring out, so it's back as far as it can go). My action isn't too high, and the necks aren't bowed too much (either condition can give you sharp intonation since you have to bend the string too much to fret it). Cyg, I think you mentioned to me that going with a heavier string might help with the intonation. I think I'd like to try the Light Top/Heavy Bottom guage set (.010 - .050), but it looks like I might have to file the slots in the nut to accomodate the thicker wound strings. I have a set of needle files, and I'm not afraid to widen those slots, but I don't want to go through all that if I'm not sure the thicker strings are going to help the intonation.

I think a lot of rock players use lighter low-E strings (.042 or .046) and don't have this intonation problem, so what the hell? So...have any of you encountered this problem? If so, tell me if you fixed it, and how you did it.

And if you have nothing to say about this particular problem, go ahead and list what string gauges you use and why you like them.

Yeah, I use Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" which are .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052. They also have a "Power Slinky" that are the same for the top but the bottom strings are .028, .038, and .048. Lots of wiggle room on my strat bridge for the low E.

The .052 on my Les Paul has a little room to maneuver so the thicker gauge may be a way to go if you don't mind a little extra tension. A nice biproduct is a little more bass.

I have issues using larger gauge on my Sheraton, I think at the nut and I don't have any files, but am also not afraid of filing if need be.

If you can flip the bridge saddle on the low E you might try that if it isn't already the furthest back it can be. I have done that with some success on Tune-o-matics. If you can find a "wide travel" tune-o-matic like they use on some SGs you might also get a little more luck.

One of my former guitarists was a big Stevie Ray fan and he was using .012 to .056 guage. F***ing cables. He had also been a bass player so the extra thickness didn't bother him much, but he dad have to work up to them. I guess Stevie's high E was a .013. Crazy.

I used to use Ernie ball super slinkys which were .008 - .050? Something like that. But after I played heavily for about 10 years my fingers became really strong so I used heavier strings. Also in the 90's when "grunge rock" came in I played a lot more up to date rock rather than the 70's and 80's style of music so I went for more of a Heavier sound and it seemed like the thicker gauge strings suited my playing style. We tuned down a lot and I would have 3-4 guitars with all different tunings most gigs we played. And I always had a flying V with light strings on that I played standard tuning songs in.

Also,my friend who worked at a music store gave me a pack of .010 Elixir strings, this is when we played 2-3 nights a week for a couple years straight so I went through a lot of strings because I liked to change them every 2 weeks. Well I noticed the Elixir strings felt new for over a month, sometimes 2 months, not to mention they seemed to NEVER go out of tune, and let me tell ya, my playing style at the time was HEAVY, and on stage during some parts of the songs I would lift my picking hand up to my shoulder and strum the strings as if I were beating the hell out of the guitar (kind of like how you see Billy Corgain do at times). I really wasn't hitting the guitar as hard as it looked but still I left big scratches all over every guitar I owned (on the pick guard and the body of the guitar, just to give you an idea the abuse I gave strings and guitars).

Anyway, I swear by Elixir .010's for that reason. They cost 2x more than ernie balls and most other brands but I think it's worth it since they seem to hold their tune through thrashings and they still seem to last longer.

But I realize we all have our favorite gear but that's the reasons I like the gauge I use and the type of strings too.

trink39.gif

For Indica, you obviously need one:

http://www.unclesgames.com/images/products/big/073000000455_big.jpg

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2005, 01:20 PM)
Yeah, I use Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" which are .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052. They also have a "Power Slinky" that are the same for the top but the bottom strings are .028, .038, and .048. Lots of wiggle room on my strat bridge for the low E.

The .052 on my Les Paul has a little room to maneuver so the thicker gauge may be a way to go if you don't mind a little extra tension. A nice biproduct is a little more bass.

I have issues using larger gauge on my Sheraton, I think at the nut and I don't have any files, but am also not afraid of filing if need be.

If you can flip the bridge saddle on the low E you might try that if it isn't already the furthest back it can be. I have done that with some success on Tune-o-matics. If you can find a "wide travel" tune-o-matic like they use on some SGs you might also get a little more luck.

I was on the Ernie Ball website a few days ago looking at set guages, and the Power Slinky is 11-14-18p-28-38-48. Those high strings are a little too thick for my taste, but the low strings are intiguing. And I thought the Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom was .010 - .050...it's actually .052 (like you said, Cyg). I'm going to pick up a set of those today and see if I can install them without taking a file to the nut. I'd hate to file those slots out, try the thicker strings. not like them, and have to go back to the lighter strings with the nut slots too wide.

I already have the low-E bridge saddle flipped on my Les Paul. Did that trick years ago, and it helped, but not enough. I'll look into a wider Tune-O-Matic if the thicker strings don't work out.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2005, 02:23 PM)

Instead of being a f***ing smart ass can you please explain what the f**k you mean by that? What because I thrashed my guitar? Because the type of strings I used? This type of comments is what sucks about forums, I hate smart ass people like that, at least be a man and explain what the f**k you mean. cat.gif

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Dude relax. I wa just f***ing with you. 1-0-0-1 asked about guages and intonation. You didn't mention anything about intonation.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2005, 04:06 PM)
Dude relax. I wa just f***ing with you. 1-0-0-1 asked about guages and intonation. You didn't mention anything about intonation.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said : "And if you have nothing to say about this particular problem, go ahead and list what string gauges you use and why you like them."

Thats what he said, he asked what gauge string people use and why, I answered and I thought it was a damn good answer. Yes, I also find that heavier strings helped with the intonation, that's common knowledge. Sometimes when I put on .010's instead of .008's then I didn't even need to adjust anything, and when I did it was very little. Your advice you gave him in California when yall was talking was good advice. I'm not the best at speaking artistically about it, I'm more of a hands on guy, hand me a guitar and I will set the intonation but as far as explaining why light strings affect it differently is something I'm not so great at.

I LIKE HEAVY STRINGS BECAUSE I LIKE TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF MY GUITAR AND I ALSO LIKE MY GUITAR TO STAY IN TUNE WHILE BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF IT, HEAVIER STRINGS SEEM TO CATER TO MY NEEDS BETTER THAN LIGHT ONES.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

So, I picked up a set of D'Addario Light Top/Heavy Bottom strings today, and I did indeed have to do some very minor filing of the E, A and D nut slots on my Strat (not enough to cause a problem should I go back to the lighter strings). Once I had the strings installed, I noticed two things: First, I think I'll like the heavier guage strings. Bending them will take some getting used to, but that's not a problem. The second thing I noticed is...the tremelo springs were not doing the job anymore (I had anticipated this). The thicker strings, especially the low-E, made those springs cry "uncle" (the jump from an .046 to an .052 is quite a jump). That bridge was leaning all the way forward once I had the strings near full tension. So my question is...do I need to add a fourth spring? The fourth one would go on the low-E side, I assume. Or do I just leave it at three springs, and adjust the two screws in the rear tremelo cavity?

Cyg, you have these guage strings on your Strat...how do you have yours set up?

I do have 4 springs. I think it may have come that way, as I don't remember adding one, but I may have. I have had the thing for almost 20 years. There are 5 tabs on the spring "anchor" and all of the springs are connected to the top 4 tabs. On the low side of the bridge there are three parallel springs connected to the back of the bridge immediately below the E, A, and D string insert holes. The bottom spring is at a slight angle. It connects to the bridge between the high E and B strings.

I was already using .010's when I got this guitar so there wasn't too much I needed to adjust when upping the low strings. I do remember sinking the anchor a little deeper. I keep my bridge so that it can move up and down. My nut is pretty flat on this guitar too so I really didn't need to file it. I think I may have even used an old string to file it a bit. The spring on the low E bridge saddle is almost completely compressed. I do sometimes put on a lighter gauge only because I bought a box of Dean Markley's for cheap and need to get rid of them. Mostly I keep the heavier gauge on it. This guitar is in dire need of a fret job too. I can't do that though. I have a hard time justifying it too.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 22 2005, 01:55 AM)
I do have 4 springs....There are 5 tabs on the spring "anchor" and all of the springs are connected to the top 4 tabs. On the low side of the bridge there are three parallel springs connected to the back of the bridge immediately below the E, A, and D string insert holes. The bottom spring is at a slight angle. It connects to the bridge between the high E and B strings.

...I keep my bridge so that it can move up and down....

I have the five anchors as well. The middle of my three springs is in the middle position straight across, and the two outer ones are angled just like your one spring for the higher strings is. With that jump from an .046 to a .052 E string, I think adding a fourth spring would be best, and I envisioned it just like your four springs are set up. Well, back to the store tomorrow...

I had my bridge set up so I could pull the bar back and raise the pitch about a half-step. I'll have to re-create that once the fourth spring is in there.

What a lot of work this is going to be! Filing the nut, adding springs, re-adjusting the intonation, action, and probably the truss rod...just to get my low-E to tune accurately!

That's love and determination there!

Even when I switch from the .052 to a .046 the springs need a day to adjust to a different tension. Strats can be such a pain! Nothing worse than popping astring on a Strat. You are done on the spot. At least with a fixed bridge you can finish a song if need be. Ah, to have 30 guitars and a roadie.

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 21 2005, 02:16 PM)

Instead of being a f***ing smart ass can you please explain what the f**k you mean by that? What because I thrashed my guitar? Because the type of strings I used? This type of comments is what sucks about forums, I hate smart ass people like that, at least be a man and explain what the f**k you mean. cat.gif

I agree Indica ... I have been playing guitar/bass/drums/keys since I was 8. Played professionally for 10 years, worked in music shops, owned over 30 differents guitars/basses over the years. I know my stuff, but I am sometimes afraid or timid to post in this forum as I know lord Cyg is looming to pounce on any opinion, misused term etc ... that may be posted. I understand that he has worked in the field most of his life, is a music libraian, was schooled in it, his dad was a music guy etc etc etc ... but just like a Dr. with bad bedside manners, he could use a little sensitivity training. I mean, i fel that i need to research to post here so i will use the right terms, etc LOL!!!

Cyg, I sincerely respect your knowledge in these field, I feel confident that if I have a question, you can answer it. Just venting a little, sorry bro, this has built up since 02 ... ohmy.gif I mean, if I am timid to post here, I would hate to think what a beginer would feel.

Back to the topic.

I used a peavey Deuce amp for many years in the 80s, had a 4 10 cab under it, it was very versatile with the dual channels and had that great tube sound. I hope that helps 1001 biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 22 2005, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 22 2005, 01:55 AM)
I do have 4 springs....There are 5 tabs on the spring "anchor" and all of the springs are connected to the top 4 tabs. On the low side of the bridge there are three parallel springs connected to the back of the bridge immediately below the E, A, and D string insert holes. The bottom spring is at a slight angle. It connects to the bridge between the high E and B strings.

...I keep my bridge so that it can move up and down....

I have the five anchors as well. The middle of my three springs is in the middle position straight across, and the two outer ones are angled just like your one spring for the higher strings is. With that jump from an .046 to a .052 E string, I think adding a fourth spring would be best, and I envisioned it just like your four springs are set up. Well, back to the store tomorrow...

I had my bridge set up so I could pull the bar back and raise the pitch about a half-step. I'll have to re-create that once the fourth spring is in there.

What a lot of work this is going to be! Filing the nut, adding springs, re-adjusting the intonation, action, and probably the truss rod...just to get my low-E to tune accurately!

Won't you also need to re-crevulate the disgronificator?

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 24 2005, 05:37 PM)

I agree Indica ... I have been playing guitar/bass/drums/keys since I was 8. Played professionally for 10 years, worked in music shops, owned over 30 differents guitars/basses over the years. I know my stuff, but I am sometimes afraid or timid to post in this forum as I know lord Cyg is looming to pounce on any opinion, misused term etc ... that may be posted. I understand that he has worked in the field most of his life, is a music libraian, was schooled in it, his dad was a music guy etc etc etc ... but just like a Dr. with bad bedside manners, he could use a little sensitivity training. I mean, i fel that i need to research to post here so i will use the right terms, etc LOL!!!

Cyg, I sincerely respect your knowledge in these field, I feel confident that if I have a question, you can answer it. Just venting a little, sorry bro, this has built up since 02 ... ohmy.gif I mean, if I am timid to post here, I would hate to think what a beginer would feel.

Back to the topic.

I used a peavey Deuce amp for many years in the 80s, had a 4 10 cab under it, it was very versatile with the dual channels and had that great tube sound. I hope that helps 1001 biggrin.gif

This has got to be one of the best posts I've ever seen. Good honesty there Lee. trink39.gif

Someone telling me to get a clue when I post something the to me it's like someone telling me "You don't know shit".... Well 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 asked what gauge strings people use and I answered the question (a great answer I may add) and someone tells me I need a clue, what kind of shit is that? I played for years using Ernie ball strings, usually pretty light gauge ones because they were easier to play leads and when I first started playing and the type of music that we played had some rough lead parts in them. My style changed a bit over the years and I wanted a more bassy tone and I played less Randy rhodes and more tool like music, so swtiching to heavier strings was great for what I needed. The Bottom end was better, they stayed in tune better even though I thrashed my guitars at intense points of the show and I didn't have to change my stings as often and I maintained my good tone. Not to mention it seemed easier to set my intonation for some reason. Why? Maybe Cyg can answer that, that would be nice if so. But I don't know the situation with his guitar and sometimes looking at it would help tons. (sorry)

Anyway, I'm not going to be afraid/intimidated to post here although I may not be able to explain things as good as others. I feel it would be a waste for me to stop posting when I can offer good information from time to time. Having 25 years experience really helps someone to know a nice amount of info. It wouldn't have been such BS if I actually said something stupid, which I'm sure I do from time to time. No sense in acting like that, If someone don't like me they should be mature about it and just don't answer my posts, no need for head trips.

If I say something that's not correct, by all means correct it, that way I can learn from a mistake, making snide smart ass remarks doesn't help anyone except maybe the person doing it to make themselves feel better about themselves. Beats me. confused13.gif

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 26 2005, 08:35 PM)
Clue is a fun game. You should get it if you don't have it.

It was Mr. Mustard in the library with the lead pipe. He left the candlestick in the dinning room for a cover up.

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 26 2005, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 24 2005, 05:37 PM)

Back to the topic.

This has got to be one of the best posts I've ever seen. Good honesty there Lee. trink39.gif

Someone telling me to get a clue when I post something the to me it's like someone telling me "You don't know shit".... Well 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 asked what gauge strings people use and I answered the question (a great answer I may add) and someone tells me I need a clue, what kind of shit is that? I played for years using Ernie ball strings, usually pretty light gauge ones because they were easier to play leads and when I first started playing and the type of music that we played had some rough lead parts in them. My style changed a bit over the years and I wanted a more bassy tone and I played less Randy rhodes and more tool like music, so swtiching to heavier strings was great for what I needed. The Bottom end was better, they stayed in tune better even though I thrashed my guitars at intense points of the show and I didn't have to change my stings as often and I maintained my good tone. Not to mention it seemed easier to set my intonation for some reason. Why? Maybe Cyg can answer that, that would be nice if so. But I don't know the situation with his guitar and sometimes looking at it would help tons. (sorry)

Anyway, I'm not going to be afraid/intimidated to post here although I may not be able to explain things as good as others. I feel it would be a waste for me to stop posting when I can offer good information from time to time. Having 25 years experience really helps someone to know a nice amount of info. It wouldn't have been such BS if I actually said something stupid, which I'm sure I do from time to time. No sense in acting like that, If someone don't like me they should be mature about it and just don't answer my posts, no need for head trips.

If I say something that's not correct, by all means correct it, that way I can learn from a mistake, making snide smart ass remarks doesn't help anyone except maybe the person doing it to make themselves feel better about themselves. Beats me. confused13.gif

trink39.gif

You are right, I should just post away ... I usually do, but i admit i do sometimes do research before posting because of Cyg ... LOL!!

BTW, concerning the real topic, laugh.gif

I just use plain old medium gauge on my electrics and acoustics. I prefer a heavier string as I detune a lot as my vocal range isn't the best. I am no luthier, but I have a knack for setting up the guitar so there are no buzzers and the action is good. Also, I like the bass response from the heavier strings.

however, from this topic, I may try the top heavy stings as i would probably like them for some of the same reasons I listed above.

Rock on!

It seems strange that both your guitars are doing the same thing. Maybe something in your technique?

Nice to get back on topic...thanks MSC!

The only way my technique would cause notes to be sharp would be if I pressed down too hard, or bent the strings as I fretted them. Neither is the case. I think I have a fairly "normal" touch on the fingerboard. And my picking technique is pretty light. Not a bad theory, though.

So, my Strat's transformation to heavier strings is complete, and I'm extremely pleased. As I said last week, I did have to file the nut slots out a bit on the E, A and D strings, and I might have to tweak the G string slot on the next string change (it's hanging up a bit, but some graphite may do the trick). I also added a fourth tremelo spring to compensate for the extra tension of the thicker strings. (I came across a great article on how to adjust your tremelo springs when going to thicker strings, which I'll post later.) I thought I would have to readjust the truss rod because of the extra tension, but the slight (and correct) curve the neck had before the string change was exactly the same afterwards. I thought that was strange at first, then I realized that the extra trem spring is taking up all that extra tension, thereby leaving the neck unaffected. (Sweet! But my Les Paul with its stop tailpiece will be a different story.)

I'm happy to report that my intonation is now nearly flawless. The low-E's bridge saddle is still pinned to the back of the bridge, but that string's intonation is 99% perfect now. If that saddle could go back another 1/64", it would be flawless, but it's close enough, and it's an obvious improvement from before. The heavier string made all the difference. (Thanks, Cyg!)

What else is better with these thicker strings? Umm...everything!

• Overall intonation of all six strings is better, especially the G string. (And what's better than a nice G-string? tongue.gif )
  • Tuning is easier and more accurate, and the guitar stays in tune better.
  • The guitar just sounds thicker and stronger now. Chords ring out more clearly, and notes sound sharper. Power chords sound FAT.
  • After playing light strings for so many years I thought it would be harder to bend strings, harder to get a good left hand vibrato, and harder to press down while playing chords. Bending is a little tougher, but nothing a little practice won't help. I notice a difference in my vibrato on the wound strings (the increase in string thickness is more extreme than on the plain strings), but again...practice, practice. And overall, it's easier to play now. The strings are so much more stable underneath my fingers on both chords and single notes. My playing has improved because of this -- and trust me, there's PLENTY of room for improvement! yes.gif
I wish I went to the light top/heavy bottom set sooner. It was the best thing I ever did to improve my guitar's performance and playability.

Also when I went to heavier strings I would warm up by doing some runs on my acoustic guitar (which was kind of hard to play) for about 5 minutes then when I picked up my main guitar it would feel like thread compared to the acoustic. Not like it's a new trick or anything though laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 26 2005, 10:15 PM)

It seems strange that both your guitars are doing the same thing. Maybe something in your technique?

The only way my technique would cause notes to be sharp would be if I pressed down too hard, or bent the strings as I fretted them. Neither is the case. I think I have a fairly "normal" touch on the fingerboard. And my picking technique is pretty light. Not a bad theory, though.

So, my Strat's transformation to heavier strings is complete, and I'm extremely pleased. As I said last week, I did have to file the nut slots out a bit on the E, A and D strings, and I might have to tweak the G string slot on the next string change (it's hanging up a bit, but some graphite may do the trick). I also added a fourth tremelo spring to compensate for the extra tension of the thicker strings. (I came across a great article on how to adjust your tremelo springs when going to thicker strings, which I'll post later.) I thought I would have to readjust the truss rod because of the extra tension, but the slight (and correct) curve the neck had before the string change was exactly the same afterwards. I thought that was strange at first, then I realized that the extra trem spring is taking up all that extra tension, thereby leaving the neck unaffected. (Sweet! But my Les Paul with its stop tailpiece will be a different story.)

I'm happy to report that my intonation is now nearly flawless. The low-E's bridge saddle is still pinned to the back of the bridge, but that string's intonation is 99% perfect now. If that saddle could go back another 1/64", it would be flawless, but it's close enough, and it's an obvious improvement from before. The heavier string made all the difference. (Thanks, Cyg!)

• Overall intonation of all six strings is better, especially the G string. (And what's better than a nice G-string? tongue.gif )
  • The guitar just sounds thicker and stronger now. Chords ring out more clearly, and notes sound sharper. Power chords sound FAT.
  • After playing light strings for so many years I thought it would be harder to bend strings, harder to get a good left hand vibrato, and harder to press down while playing chords. Bending is a little tougher, but nothing a little practice won't help. I notice a difference in my vibrato on the wound strings (the increase in string thickness is more extreme than on the plain strings), but again...practice, practice. And overall, it's easier to play now. The strings are so much more stable underneath my fingers on both chords and single notes. My playing has improved because of this -- and trust me, there's PLENTY of room for improvement! yes.gif
I wish I went to the light top/heavy bottom set sooner. It was the best thing I ever did to improve my guitar's performance and playability.

Thats great! Sometimes with lighter strings, it feels like you have to chase them around because they move around too much. also they dont give you enough resistance so its harder to know what you are doing to them by feel, if that makes any sense. Also I believe (I could be wrong) that its easier to get nasty fret noise from thin, loose strings because they vibrate "sloppily" so then you have to raise your action ever so slightly which defeats some of the purpose of having thin strings to begin with.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 27 2005, 07:32 AM)
Sometimes with lighter strings, it feels like you have to chase them around because they move around too much. also they dont give you enough resistance so its harder to know what you are doing to them by feel, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense, and that's exactly what I was experiencing...only I didn't realize it until I played the heavier strings. It was like, "Eureka!"

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 27 2005, 07:32 AM)
Also I believe (I could be wrong) that its easier to get nasty fret noise from thin, loose strings because they vibrate "sloppily" so then you have to raise your action ever so slightly which defeats some of the purpose of having thin strings to begin with.

Right again. As I was tuning the new strings to pitch for the first time I found myself lowering the bridge saddles for each string. I actually have lower action and less buzz now. I swear, this Strat is set up better now than when I bought it new in 1992. I feel like I'm playing someone else's guitar that I like better than mine!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 26 2005, 10:15 PM)

Sorry to veer off topic again tongue.gif but when I read this stuff, my brain hears:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

wacko.gif

Okay, back to talk of G-strings and such. biggrin.gif