Guitar players..

D-13

I don't think there has been a thread on this....sorry if there is.

I was wondering what strings there are available for acoustic guitar...i'm guessing there are different types. I need to change them so i'm going to a music store soon. I was just wondering what people thought of brands or types first. smile.gif

Ok well I got D'addario strings...the guy said they are basically factory strings so you can't go wrong with that. I also had to buy Fretboard cleaner because it's gross....And super fine steel wool....yeah i'll have to research that one for awhile...I don't want to scratch anything or do something bad to my guitar lol

Dean Markly Sig series, the best strings in the world!!! Period. There the same type Lifeson plays, but thats beside the fact. I love these strings.

For my acoustics, I use Martin Marquis, I tried them the first time about 8 years ago when i go 10 sets for 10 bucks. I have used them ever since. Medium gauge (blue package)

http://www.roadiesfriend.com/cgi-bin/e-car...t&martinmarquis

Before that, I primarily used D'addario, there isn't that much difference. You can't go wrong with those.

BTW, doesn't a fresh set of strings sound great on an acoustic??? That is why I change mine regularly.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 18 2005, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 18 2005, 09:57 PM)
For my acoustics, I use Martin Marquis, I tried them the first time about 8 years ago when i go 10 sets for 10 bucks. I have used them ever since. Medium gauge (blue package)

Same here. trink39.gif

trink39.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 18 2005, 06:57 PM)
BTW, doesn't a fresh set of strings sound great on an acoustic???  That is why I change mine regularly.

OMG...YES!!!!!!!!...It was a whole new sound!!!

Well besides the fact that I haven't changed them since I bought the guitar....

*please don't smack me in the back of my head...*

4 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys! biggrin.gif

I wonder what Nancy Wilson uses....

Edited by D-13

It depends on the guitar. Different guitars have different tonal characteristics. For instance I have an old Fender acoustic that sounds best with Martin Marquise strings. Phosphor Bronze types are too bright for it. I've also found that Phosphor Bronze strings go dead very quickly.

I have a newish Larivee acoustic guitar that sounds great with Phosphor Bronze strings. I use the Elixir brand on that guitar. They are expensive but they have a coating on them that makes the strings last much longer. Worth the extra price in my opinion.

So buy a few different brands/type of string and experiment. Hope that helps.

Rand

cosmo.gif

I've been a recent convert to Elixir strings. They're nice and bright like Blue Steels (which is what I used to use) but they last MONTHS longer and still sound brand new after a lot of playing, plus they don't seem to rust (I have had 3 week old Blue Steels actually rust).

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Sep 21 2005, 04:54 PM)
I've been a recent convert to Elixir strings. They're nice and bright like Blue Steels (which is what I used to use) but they last MONTHS longer and still sound brand new after a lot of playing, plus they don't seem to rust (I have had 3 week old Blue Steels actually rust).

Yes, what he said. trink39.gif

I go with what David Gilmour has used in recent years, GHS Boomers on my Fender Lead I Stratocaster. Gilmour is the living guitar GOD! Edited by floydfanatic111