Led Zeppelin Album Elimination - Final Round

toscanobarga

Led Zeppelin Album Elimination - Final Round   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Vote off your least favorite

• II
    • IV

Although...I think I prefer II.

You know what? I'm just gonna have to play both these albums again.

• Like 1

LED ZEP II brought down the Berlin Wall

Losing your musical innocence either happens instantly, like getting shot at short range, or in a slow tide. Or it doesn’t happen at all.The consequences of a musical shock are unpredictable. It can change a person completely — his tastes, sympathies, ethics, speech, dress, politics. This is probably because music is the most perfect of all arts, the “highest obsession” (Pasternak).For me, the beginnings were rather commonplace — childhood plus piano, the normal Soviet routine: Schumann’s “Merry Peasant,” Bach’s “Rigaudon,” “For Elise,” “Moonlight Sonata Part I”...Then my pinkie got caught in the chaise longue that my friend had kicked out from under me. With a shortened finger, prospects for the piano vanished.

The piano still gave pleasure; keys warmed by the sun gave off a cozy smell and felt good to the touch, as did the yellowed pages of music. But there was no kick.That happened one pleasant September afternoon in 1972, in the apartment of my classmate Vitya, who that summer became the world student table tennis champion and brought back from unattainable Stockholm three records: Led Zeppelin (“II”), Deep Purple (“Machine Head”) and Uriah Heep (“Look at Yourself”).

I was 18, and not entirely pop-illiterate: the “Beatli,” the “Rollingi” and the Monkees were always seeping out of friends’ tape recorders, opening up new, unknown sounds and spaces. But all that was anticipation; it was as if we were being prepared for something big, something that would make the blood curdle in our veins.And curdle it did when Vitya pulled the new Zeppelin LP out of what at the time was a mind-blowing sleeve and put it on, and “Whole Lotta Love” rose up with a beckoning howl.Corks formed of cloying Soviet music flew out of our ears. And a young man’s brain experienced irreversible biochemical change. It was the unforgettable lesson of freedom. It was probably on that very day that I spontaneously became a dissident.

The force of the rock tsunami which dealt so destructive a blow to the “sovok” in the early 1970’s indisputably arose not only from all the utterly new sounds and instrumental possibilities, but also from the fact that all these Robert Plants and Ian Gillans sang in the language of the West — a forbidden tongue kept from us by maybe not quite an Iron Curtain, but at least a wooden one.

We Soviet students saw the long-haired vocalists as angels come down to earth to sing in heavenly tongues. Having studied English through texts like “Lenin in London,” we had a hard time sorting out the words. But the more advanced melomaniacs got them, memorized them and sang them to their guitars.Thus Anglo-rock for many of my contemporaries became Angelic-rock. We believed in it, we forgave it everything. We imbued the relatively primitive lyrics with layers of meaning that their hirsute authors never dreamed of. A friend of mine seriously insisted that “Satisfaction” was about a free, complex and tragic love affair of two underground anarchists, and that “Stairway to Heaven” was written by a famous English mystic who was publicly burned in medieval England for his experiments in the occult.

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/2705/cover_1928726112010.jpg

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Edited by Wayne

I don't care if I never hear Stairway or Going to California again for the rest of my life. ZepII has none of that experience for me.

I'm over Whole Lotta Love, for sure, and Moby Dick beyond the initial riff. Living Loving Maid and Ramble On are still gold, though.
  • Like 1

IV is one of the all time great rock albums, of course. But you wanna know something? It doesn't have a song that reaches the peaks of Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker. Even the album's one "down" moment, Moby Dick, actually has an amazing riff driving it.

I'm voting for II. It's going to lose, and I can see why, but it remains my favorite Zeppelin album.

I had a hard time choosing between II and IV. Both are probably in the top 20 albums of all time for me but that being said I think IV is slightly better.

• Like 2

And........we have a winner !

It isn't PG like it should have been, but it's the 2nd best option.

A perfect album.

See here's the thing about "overplayed" albums like IV or Moving Pictures or The Joshua Tree, once you put that vinyl on. sit back in the recliner, and start listening you realize just how special they are.

Then you get on the internet and bitch about something.

Thanks for playing everyone.

Who's up next ?

Someone wanna do an Iron Maiden thread ?

• Like 3

A perfect album.

See here's the thing about "overplayed" albums like IV or Moving Pictures or The Joshua Tree, once you put that vinyl on. sit back in the recliner, and start listening you realize just how special they are.

Who's up next ?

This was fun. Not really a Maiden fan but if y'all do a group I'm into I will definitely join in! :)

• Like 1

A perfect album.

Who's up next ?

I could go for that but I have a feeling I know what will win.

• Like 1

A perfect album.

Who's up next ?

I could go for that but I have a feeling I know what will win.

R-381258-1254036337.jpeg.jpg