Happy Birthday Stormwatch and Abacab.

Red Dwarf

Two of progs greats released two decent albums on this day in 79 and 81.

Jethro Tull released Stormwatch in 79,and Genesis gave us Abacab two years later in 81.

Stormwatch is a rather curious album and one i don't listen to often,but when i do,i enjoy it the experience.Dark Ages and Dun Ringill are for me the two standout tracks,and Kelpie,which was only a bonus track on the remastered version is fine too.

I was just beginning my musical voyage with Genesis when Abacab was released,so i have good memories of this album.Thirty five years on and well some of the shine has been lost.The title tack still sounds great,though i still really hate the fade-out at the end of the song.Keep It Dark and Dodo/Lurker are vintage Collins-era Genesis,and i have a soft spot for Like It Or Not.Whodunnit? should have been renamed Whydoit? and Another Record isn't the ending one hoped for!

All in all though two good albums,but is it really that long ago since they were released?

• Like 5

I thought this was going to be another face-off thread like Floyd vs Kansas, Carry On Wayward Son vs Comfortably Numb, Tull vs Genesis,. Stormwatch vs Abacab! :16ton: Maybe it'd look better if it was Stormbringer vs Stormwatch? Battle of the ROCK STORMS! :haz:
  • Like 1

Stormwatch is a very fine album, and on the note of 'Kelpie', for Tull fans it is very much worth digging into their bonus track releases that accompany reprints. They left a lot of meat on the table.

Rush denies that they've done the same, but I wonder what they have kicking around in the attic.

• Like 3

Stormwatch is a fine work indeed, IMHO the one that started the band leaving some of their traditional paths and heading to the road leading to Broadsword, Crest and Rock Island (losing that road for a while during A and Under Wraps) Edited by geezer
  • Like 2

Stormwatch is a rather curious album and one i don't listen to often,but when i do,i enjoy it the experience.Dark Ages and Dun Ringill are for me the two standout tracks,and Kelpie,which was only a bonus track on the remastered version is fine too.

I like Kelpie a lot. The other bonus tracks on there are pretty good too.

Stormwatch is a strong album. Old Ghosts is my favorite track on it, with Orion, Something's on the Move, North Sea Oil, and Dun Ringill right up there as well.

Maybe it'd look better if it was Stormbringer vs Stormwatch? Battle of the ROCK STORMS! :haz:

That'd be a good match-up. I think I'd take Stormwatch, but it's pretty close.

Stormwatch is a very fine album, and on the note of 'Kelpie', for Tull fans it is very much worth digging into their bonus track releases that accompany reprints. They left a lot of meat on the table.

Yeah, it's amazing how much quality material was left off their "proper" albums.

• Like 2

I think Stormwatch is great, too. There is some seriously great lead playing here.

As for Abacab, I think that song and Dodo/Lurker are fantastic. Me and Sarah Jane and Keep It Dark are both cool tunes (sound great in surround) and No Reply has some serious nostalgia value for me - but it's got Collins' influence all over it (not necessarily a bad thing at the time). Man on the Corner is pretty good, but I'm not even sure I could hum a few bars of the last two.