Ben Hur (2016)

Principled Man

I didn't find it all that bad.

It wasn't trying to replace the Heston movie and focused more on the revenge side of the tale than the religious.

Pretty faithful to the source material as well.

It's definitely not great. But it isn't the disaster I expected it to be.

6/10- but I think I'm being a little generous.

Makes a nice change from all the superhero movies. Wouldn't mind more like this, but obviously better made.

The Charlton Heston version is too powerful for you. You have to hide behind the couch cringing like a puppy in a thunderstorm until the closing credits roll...

It's one of my favourite movies...I watched it many times as a kid.

Saw it for the first time in around 15 years last year and loved it even more. Read the book as well.

It wasn't trying to replace the Heston movie and focused more on the revenge side of the tale than the religious.

Makes a nice change from all the superhero movies. Wouldn't mind more like this, but obviously better made.

The Charlton Heston version is too powerful for you. You have to hide behind the couch cringing like a puppy in a thunderstorm until the closing credits roll...

Saw it for the first time in around 15 years last year and loved it even more. Read the book as well.

I still think you watched it from behind the couch!

I still think you watched it from behind the couch!

Hahaha...I will let you keep that precious mental image!!

I'll stick with the Charlton Heston version.

You and me both.

There's only one Judah Ben-Hur, and only one Messala.

Above and beyond that, no one could ever replace Miklos Roszka's soundtrack.

You can't top the 1959 casting.

$100 million this film cost, and they wasted all that money on a pretty rubbish cast.

Morgan Freeman looks bored.

The movie itself? Some terrible shaky cam moments, but there is a goodness to this movie. The chariot race is impressive. Not on the same level as either the silent movie version or the Heston but it was very good.

In all honesty, the bad outweighs the good. But it's not hideous.

Would I see it again? Yeah. Because I like sword and sandals movie, and it was OK. Better than Alexander, not as cheesy as Troy...in a quiet way I enjoyed it.

But it will flop hard because it isn't necessary.

Oddest remake in a long while.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

You and me both.

$100 million this film cost, and they wasted all that money on a pretty rubbish cast.

The movie itself? Some terrible shaky cam moments, but there is a goodness to this movie. The chariot race is impressive. Not on the same level as either the silent movie version or the Heston but it was very good.

Would I see it again? Yeah. Because I like sword and sandals movie, and it was OK. Better than Alexander, not as cheesy as Troy...in a quiet way I enjoyed it.

I love movies and so I usually take my wife to a movie on tuesday nights because it's five dollar night at the local megaplex.

Anyway, because of this, we see most of the movies that come out and so last night we saw Ben Hur. Going into it, my feelings were exactly like those expressed in this thread. Because of this, my expectations were pretty low and so I actually enjoyed it. It doesn't compare to the 1959 version by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not bad and I suspect that there are a lot of young people out there who have never seen or heard of Ben Hur. And because the young people seem to like a hyperactive cameraman suffering from Parkinson's disease, they will probably like this move.

But I agree with you that it probably won't do that well.

• Like 1

You and me both.

I love movies and so I usually take my wife to a movie on tuesday nights because it's five dollar night at the local megaplex.

Anyway, because of this, we see most of the movies that come out and so last night we saw Ben Hur. Going into it, my feelings were exactly like those expressed in this thread. Because of this, my expectations were pretty low and so I actually enjoyed it. It doesn't compare to the 1959 version by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not bad and I suspect that there are a lot of young people out there who have never seen or heard of Ben Hur. And because the young people seem to like a hyperactive cameraman suffering from Parkinson's disease, they will probably like this move.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't hate it!

It's good. Better than Suicide Squad.

• Like 1

You and me both.

Right.

Ramon Novarro and Francis X Bushman.

:)

Yes, I know all about Ramon, especially about how he allegedly died. :LOL: Ooops! Better laugh with mouth closed. That's how Ramon got into trouble :ph34r:

• Like 1

You and me both.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't hate it!

It's good. Better than Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad is would probably push some people to suicide.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll try and remake El Cid, which I think is even better than Ben Hur...?

Never seem this...onto it now!

I wonder if they'll try and remake El Cid, which I think is even better than Ben Hur...?

You've never seen El CId? It's the ultimate historical epic!

Nope! I've seen the DVD for sale but never bothered with it.

Is Quo Vadis any good?

I've got Fall Of The Roman Empire on DVD...Still haven't watched that.

Is Quo Vadis any good?

You better get it quick, it's the best ever performance by Sophia Loren!

• Like 1

Is Quo Vadis any good?

Oh OK.

Does she use her...natural abilities?

Is Quo Vadis any good?

Oh OK.

Does she use her...natural abilities?

Aye!

And Herbert Lom is a beast as Ben Yusuf, as you can see in that ULTIMATE SIN drum clip!

• Like 1

I will wait to watch it on the 4:30 Movie.

Is that still on? I remember that. Used to come on after The Match Game with Gene Rayburn.

• Like 1