Manipulation

Mr. Not

It's pretty interesting isn't it?

It's also interesting to wonder how much of it is a thought out technique, or how much of it is just someone's character.

Don't get me wrong, it's sad when those who are gullible or easily succumb are targeted... But it's kind of funny how easy it to just stop any of it from happening. You just have to put your foot down straight away, knowing what you do about the person from past experiences. Chances are the more time you spend weighing your options and considering whether you should accept the person or not, the more time they'll have to warm up to you and influence your position... And then you'll probably just get screwed over by them again!

Yeah, some people are just . . . corrupt. Which is why it's so awesome when you meet someone who's cool!

You're right, though, there are some conflict-avoiding types who do let people manipulate them.

I've never understood how anyone could use another person to achieve their own selfish ends, but it is done each and every day in every walk of life by not a few.

Yeah, but some fields are more prone to that than others.

I think we could probably even name one without thinking too hard, couldn't we, Lorraine?

I've never understood how anyone could use another person to achieve their own selfish ends, but it is done each and every day in every walk of life by not a few.

I think we could probably even name one without thinking too hard, couldn't we, Lorraine?

You mean the music industry? And letting it leak that it's kinda sorta your last tour as a band, and then offering scads of stuff at outrageous prices along with boosting the price of concert tickets?

Yeah, some people are just . . . corrupt. Which is why it's so awesome when you meet someone who's cool!

You're right, though, there are some conflict-avoiding types who do let people manipulate them.

You don't have to be corrupt to be a manipulator.

All you have to be is exceedingly selfish and ME oriented.

You mean the music industry? And letting it leak that it's kinda sorta your last tour as a band, and then offering scads of stuff at outrageous prices along with boosting the price of concert tickets?

Not a bad example, but not the one I was thinking of...

My motto: Beware of flatterers! :)

That is an excellent point, Lorraine!

:outtahere:

:)

• Like 2

Normally I would play a guessing game with you, but I only had about four hours sleep last night.

Have a heart and clue me in, please.

That's the psychopathic level. The case I recently saw had to do with a man who had his back up to the wall due to his poor life choices, so he decided to go back to the family (basically using their house as a hideout) which have had a restraining order. I think they're too afraid to take action against him...

Normally I would play a guessing game with you, but I only had about four hours sleep last night.

Have a heart and clue me in, please.

PM sent

• Like 1

That's the psychopathic level. The case I recently saw had to do with a man who had his back up to the wall due to his poor life choices, so he decided to go back to the family (basically using their house as a hideout) which have had a restraining order. I think they're too afraid to take action against him...

If that's the psychopathic level, there are many psychopaths out there. More than ever.

It's pretty interesting isn't it?

It's also interesting to wonder how much of it is a thought out technique, or how much of it is just someone's character.

Don't get me wrong, it's sad when those who are gullible or easily succumb are targeted... But it's kind of funny how easy it to just stop any of it from happening. You just have to put your foot down straight away, knowing what you do about the person from past experiences. Chances are the more time you spend weighing your options and considering whether you should accept the person or not, the more time they'll have to warm up to you and influence your position... And then you'll probably just get screwed over by them again!

I would love to know how much of this is thought out versus unconscious. I am very unhappy to admit that people have manipulated me in the past. I tend to be someone to loves to do things for people, not necessarily monetary things, but just doing nice things for people. So it has happened that there have been people who have taken advantage of that, or manipulated me to a place where they can take advantage of things. When I have discovered this has happened then I've basically written the person off as a friend, because friends don't treat other friends that way. And hrmpf, I seem to have just gone off on a tangent.

Back on topic, manipulative people suck.

My motto: Beware of flatterers! :)

That is an excellent point, Lorraine!

:outtahere:

:)

:ph34r: Just have always been that way and have never taken advantage of anyone. Quite the opposite. Oh well... :sigh: :outtahere:
  • Like 1

If that's the psychopathic level, there are many psychopaths out there. More than ever.

Oops - well I don't mean to imply that.. I don't mean to say that everyone who does it is a psychopath, but it definitely requires a lack of empathy to go through with that sort of stuff, so it's more of a single symptom. While discussing this I have the Lou Bloom character from "Nightcrawler" in mind.

There's a difference between flatterers and false flatterers.

If this comment was aimed at me I suppose there is a difference and there are folks who fit both categories. I have no problem being negative about "things" but when it comes to people I just don't see the point. I strive to say something nice or nothing at all and its not just with ladies either. Wonder where I got that from... :LOL:

If this comment was aimed at me I suppose there is a difference and there are folks who fit both categories. I have no problem being negative about "things" but when it comes to people I just don't see the point. I strive to say something nice or nothing at all and its not just with ladies either. Wonder where I got that from... :LOL:

Knock it off, Narps.

The thread is about manipulation, and most manipulators are flatterers. That's a fact. How do you think they use people? Most people eat flattery up.

Edited by Lorraine

Knock it off, Narps.

The thread is about manipulation, and most manipulators are flatterers. That's a fact. How do you think they use people? Most people eat flattery up.

True enough. I guess if you hear enough flattering things you could become immune in some ways to it but I guess the opposite could be true where if you don't you could been manipulated more easily...

I wasn't aiming at nobody. Just making a distinction between the kind of flattery that's making somebody feel good without any thought of reward (except for the intrinsic reward you feel from having done something kind) and the kind of flattery that's looking to borrow 20 bucks.

"Gee Dad, did you just get your hair cut? You look 10 years younger! And look at how sharp you're dressed! You look ready for a night on the town! Speaking of going out, I was thinking of going out tonight with some friends . . . too bad I'm busted. Say . . ."