Morel Master of Goatnut, TN

Tombstone Mountain

I knew you said they were coming soon!

Man, I wish I were going back to the Smoky Mountains this year.

All dark caps at this time. Extremely well hidden. Perhaps the most flavorful of all the morels. Goatnut isn't blooming yet, but the buds are about to pop. I expect about 15 pounds this year.

All dark caps at this time. Extremely well hidden. Perhaps the most flavorful of all the morels. Goatnut isn't blooming yet, but the buds are about to pop. I expect about 15 pounds this year.

So you harvest them and sell them at $50/ Lbs?

No I don't sell them. Usually I eat them, and give them away to friends who are REAL close.

• Like 1

No I don't sell them. Usually I eat them, and give them away to friends who are REAL close.

What are they good with? Steak? Chicken? That other huge turd looking space fungus?

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

So they always grow around Poplar trees?

Where I live yes. Now, in some places they grow in grass. I've never seen that here. There's pasture land near me and I've never seen them though I'm praying for that to occur. But where I live Poplars are the majority. Now, in late April/early May, I'll find ginormous Morels growing under pine straw. Huge ones. However, they don't taste as good as the ones that I'm harvesting now. The biggies I'll use in addition with my eggplant parmesan. So good. Gotta fry them though.

BTW--never eat these raw

• Like 3

What are they good with? Steak? Chicken? That other huge turd looking space fungus?

Morels are good with eggs--scrambled. Fettucini Alfredo--sauteed on top of the blackened chicken. Most people who eat these will fry them, which I consider a mistake. They end up tasted like the batter or coating. I put them on pizza...damn..,really anything! I plan on making a cooking segment for this thread. I'll show proper cleaning and whatnot

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Hey Duff, those videos are awesome. Keep 'em coming.

It's really great to see how you act as a caring father. Thumbs up man. :ebert:

In addition to that I must say that you look way cooler these days,

compared with the old concert video. :cool:

• Like 1

Adorable kid! :) Quite nice to spend a sunny day looking for Morels.

Ps - sauteeing puffballs? Won't they explode? :o

They do...please see the dustball turd clip

Whoa! :o

In addition to that I must say that you look way cooler these days,

compared with the old concert video. :cool:

Thanks young man! I must say I still have the urge to jam some Judas Priest heavy metal

• Like 1

You have the Sammy Hagar-on-the-2004-reunion-tour vibe, sans the fat.

Van Halen at their very best IMO. I know that's really unpopular here, but Sammy kicked major ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YERXSod_2bs

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1