Grateful Dead reuniting for 3 shows in Chicago in July

apetersvt

I like llama, down with disease, cavern, tweezer, a few others. aren't those tunes popular with both the band and the "phans"? I don't know a thing about phish so I could be wrong. and there's always a chance they could do something by zep or zz top or talking heads or the who or etc and from what I've heard, I like their covers more than anything.

Llama hardly ever gets played anymore (admittedly, I don't really go to many Phish shows these days, but I still check out setlists). Popularity with fans means nothing in that world. What they want to play is what they'll play....and how they want to play as well.

Twezer is a good example. They might play a straight out 10 minute Tweezer and then reprise it later (or at the next show...or even a few shows down the line). They also may play it for 45+ minutes, It's not crazy to say that the entire second set might be Tweezer with other jams, song fragments and maybe one or 2 actual songs stuck in the middle somewhere. Down with Disease is another that this could easily happen with.

Nothing is planned and anything can happen.

• Like 1

that'd be a dream phish show. just play 2 of the songs I actually like, stretch them out for god knows how long, throw in a cool cover like good times bad times. meanwhile, I'll walk around the lawn stealing everyone's drugs.
  • Like 1

I wish I liked that band more. I love the idea of phish, the spirit/community behind them, and they're all class A musicians, but too much of their music just bores me to death.

I've seen them a lot of times....but these days I'd agree. I definitely can't listen to them in large doses anymore. Shows can be fun though because it's more about the community and having as good a time as you can (ideally without getting sick or arrested), with the music not necessarily being the focal point for the entire time.
  • Like 1

Have never seen Phish but certainly here a lot of their music on the Jam channel on Sirius. The rhythm guitar player in my Grateful Dead cover band is a huge Phish fan (we don't play out in public, just in our homes for fun). He keeps teasing Phish songs during jams to f' with me. I have no clue what the popular songs are either. I seem to like Chalkdust Torture and Run Like an Antelope. Love their jams but I think their songwriting is lacking.

As Bathory stated, Gov't Mule is my favorite jam band to see now. Have seen them well over 20 times now. I love the fact that they haven't gotten bigger than they have. Can still see them up close at intimate venues and only pay about $30 a ticket. Warren Haynes is my co-guitar-hero along with Lerxst. If I could somehow get them on stage together???? Maybe I could kidnap Alex like Ricky did in the Trailer Park Boys?????

• Like 2

I wish I liked that band more. I love the idea of phish, the spirit/community behind them, and they're all class A musicians, but too much of their music just bores me to death.

Many say more or less the same about Rush.

I've seen them a lot of times....but these days I'd agree. I definitely can't listen to them in large doses anymore. Shows can be fun though because it's more about the community and having as good a time as you can (ideally without getting sick or arrested), with the music not necessarily being the focal point for the entire time.

I've probably caught more than 100 Phish shows over the years. Some still bring goosebumps to this day; others were forgettable the minute the last note decayed into applause. I go there for the sense of possibility; for the musical communication; for the camaraderie; for the chance at musical bliss. The days of scoring molly and shrooms in the lot are behind me, but I still love the music. Which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Have never seen Phish but certainly here a lot of their music on the Jam channel on Sirius. The rhythm guitar player in my Grateful Dead cover band is a huge Phish fan (we don't play out in public, just in our homes for fun). He keeps teasing Phish songs during jams to f' with me. I have no clue what the popular songs are either. I seem to like Chalkdust Torture and Run Like an Antelope. Love their jams but I think their songwriting is lacking.

As Bathory stated, Gov't Mule is my favorite jam band to see now. Have seen them well over 20 times now. I love the fact that they haven't gotten bigger than they have. Can still see them up close at intimate venues and only pay about $30 a ticket. Warren Haynes is my co-guitar-hero along with Lerxst. If I could somehow get them on stage together???? Maybe I could kidnap Alex like Ricky did in the Trailer Park Boys?????

Completely agree about the song writing. I've been arguing for a while now that the reason the Grateful Dead can't be considered a so called "jam band" (I hate that term soooooo much!!!!!) is that they wrote songs and the jams came later in a natural progression. Quite often these other bands know their way around their instrument, but they're clueless when it comes to song writing. As a result, they what they write are vehicles in which to jam and the song part of it comes later.

Warren is amazing. Nothing else can be said there. Just an incredibly talented guitarist and singer. If he was playing the role of Jerry at these upcoming Chicago shows, I'd have considered it a lot more. No disrespect to Trey, but he was the wrong choice and for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

Many say more or less the same about Rush.

I know.

Completely agree about the song writing. I've been arguing for a while now that the reason the Grateful Dead can't be considered a so called "jam band" (I hate that term soooooo much!!!!!) is that they wrote songs and the jams came later in a natural progression. Quite often these other bands know their way around their instrument, but they're clueless when it comes to song writing. As a result, they what they write are vehicles in which to jam and the song part of it comes later.

Warren is amazing. Nothing else can be said there. Just an incredibly talented guitarist and singer. If he was playing the role of Jerry at these upcoming Chicago shows, I'd have considered it a lot more. No disrespect to Trey, but he was the wrong choice and for the wrong reasons.

I was hoping for John K to take the Jerry role. Have you fellow Heads seen this yet ?? -

I did see Trey with Further at Lockn' in '13. Seemed to fit in well with the band then so I am encouraged by that. Add in a bunch of rehearsal time and I think he should be a decent fit.

John K is the DSO guy, right? I saw him with Phil last summer (first Phil show in years for me). He did a great job.

I saw that Hitler vid a few weeks ago. Funny stuff.

Gotta admit that I've been getting a kick out of reading the Rush and GD ticket failure woes. Not that people are missing out, but just how similar the sentiments are. So many people taking ticket prices, etc. personally and seemingly willing to toss out 20, 30, 40+ years of history with either band over this.

While on the topic of GD and Rush, i can't help but think back to Spring 1992. I was following the GD up the east coast...and so was Rush! Every venue the Dead played, Rush followed them within days. In retrospect, I should have tried to catch one of the Rush shows on an off day, but I was too wound up in the travelling circus at that time and had already caught that tour. Ahhhh...good times.

• Like 3

John K is the DSO guy, right? I saw him with Phil last summer (first Phil show in years for me). He did a great job.

Gotta admit that I've been getting a kick out of reading the Rush and GD ticket failure woes. Not that people are missing out, but just how similar the sentiments are. So many people taking ticket prices, etc. personally and seemingly willing to toss out 20, 30, 40+ years of history with either band over this.

While on the topic of GD and Rush, i can't help but think back to Spring 1992. I was following the GD up the east coast...and so was Rush! Every venue the Dead played, Rush followed them within days. In retrospect, I should have tried to catch one of the Rush shows on an off day, but I was too wound up in the travelling circus at that time and had already caught that tour. Ahhhh...good times.

Haha...I saw Rush in Dayton, OH on 6/23/92 and the Grateful Dead at Buckeye Lake eight days later. But that was the last Dead show for about five months, as Jerry was...ummm..."exhausted". ;)

• Like 1

I did see Trey with Further at Lockn' in '13. Seemed to fit in well with the band then so I am encouraged by that. Add in a bunch of rehearsal time and I think he should be a decent fit.

It goes way deeper than just a performance though. I'm sure he'll pull it off, but there were better options. That's not to mention the effect he probably had on ticket sales which would not have needed a boost to begin with.

Haha...I saw Rush in Dayton, OH on 6/23/92 and the Grateful Dead at Buckeye Lake eight days later. But that was the last Dead show for about five months, as Jerry was...ummm..."exhausted". ;)

Yep...i was at that Buckeye Lake show. Spent a couple days in jail after the first of 2 Deer Creek shows just before that, which is a whole other story, but got out that morning and beelined right for good ol Hebron Ohio.

I was at the comeback shows in Denver later that year too....and those were right after doing about a week and a half with Phish on the east coast.

Those were the days!! :codger: Wish I could still do stuff like that today!!

• Like 1

Yes, John K was one of the original DSO members. Left DSO about 4 years ago to go full time with Furthur. Jeff Mattson now in DSO (from Zen Tricksters and the Donna Jean band). He could certainly nail the Jerry parts and vocals.

My last Rush show may very well be in Newark (unless they announce a 2nd leg) June 27th. I week later, I will be in Chicago for the Dead. Your post just made me think of the irony that I will probably be seeing my favorite 2 bands (although the GD will have a huge asterick without Jerry) for the final times on consecutive weekends. First Rush show was '88. First Dead show was '93. At least Gov't Mule is still touring heavily.

• Like 2

Yep...i was at that Buckeye Lake show. Spent a couple days in jail after the first of 2 Deer Creek shows just before that, which is a whole other story, but got out that morning and beelined right for good ol Hebron Ohio.

I was at the comeback shows in Denver later that year too....and those were right after doing about a week and a half with Phish on the east coast.

Ahh, I was at the Deer Creek shows as well. Those slipped my mind (I was in a bit of a fog back then, hahaha, but I have no similar excuse these days).

Bygone times indeed...I used to travel the country following the Black Crowes, mainly from 1995-'97...no way I could do that now, with any band. Not like I did back then.

• Like 1

I can probably muster the energy to do it, but unfortunately life is too much in the way.

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. I have the energy and the adrenaline, definitely. But too many other things about my life have changed.

What were you in jail for? :D

• Like 1

Ever check out Jazzfest in NOLA?

I haven't. I had plans to go to Jazzfest three different times in that same time frame, mid to late '90s, and they always just blew up in my face. Something always seemed to come up that prevented me from going.

What were you in jail for? :D

Being young and naive...associating with the wrong people...

• Like 1