• 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 31 January 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostBluefunk, on 30 January 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Postandreww, on 30 January 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

check these guys out

I like the music, but he sang the wrong words! :lol:

View Postandreww, on 30 January 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Anyway, if I were doing a Rush tribute band I would totally go the long wig route and wear the Kimonos. That would sell the illusion visually, which I find to be the most distracting thing about cover bands.
:D  I like the kimono idea!

But I find the whole impersonation thing quite unsettling; if a band is musically proficient enough to play Rush songs, surely it would be better for them to write their own stuff and play that? Maybe cover some Rush, but do it in their own style? I find watching people dressing up as Geddy Lee a bit disturbing- it's like watching an Elvis impersonator. Am I the only one who feels that way? :blink:

Obviously I disagree.

To address your first question... I'm not going to "make it" in the music business. My parents squashed that dream a long time ago. Like almost everyone here, I love Rush. The music reaches me on a deep level. The musicianship, the subtleties that no one who doesn't play an instrument will ever understand.

My guitar player and I were practicing with our drummer last night. After the drummer left (he always leaves first) we sat around and played quietly a little. We did acoustic versions of Red Barchetta, Hemispheres prelude, Closer To The Heart, Xanadu... unbelievable. It was the first time we ever did it (just for kicks) and the first time I ever heard the guitar and bass played so cleanly so all of the notes rang true... it was gorgeous! Hard to imagine Hemispheres done acoustic. If you have the means I suggest it. Beauty incarnate.

OK, that was a long explanation. Basically I love playing Rush more than anything else and my own material. I play and sing well. I am not a composer... well a good one anyway.

I don't "dress up" like Geddy exactly. I wear similar shirts and shoes.  Would I do the Kimono thing at some point? Absolutely! I think people who are paying to see us would appreciate that and enjoy it. It's all about having a good time.  

Just my thoughts.
I've got another opinion. I don't know what you call "making it" but I've made most of my living as a professional touring/studio trumpet player and background vocalist. I've played at Carnegie Hall, Opry, the 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece, played on a Grammy Nominated project in 09 and have been on National TV.....ALL....with ORIGINAL MUSIC! Now?????I just want to have some fun...which is why I started my tribute band. So for me, it's not about "making it"...(been down that road and have the t-shirt). I just want to play what I love....and I love Rush!

Sponsored Post

#42 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

View Postjnoble, on 25 January 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

the make or break of any Rush tribute band is the singer. They either sound pretty decent or sound like someone doing a poor imitation of Geddy Lee instead of using their natural voice. Mostly the latter from all that I've gone to see

Dudeā€¦ focusing on the vocals in a Rush song is like focusing on feet in a bikini contest. :facepalm: :finbar:

#43 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 04 March 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 03 March 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I live in Delaware and caught these guys for the first time Friday night and they were about as good as you could ever possibly expect a Rush cover band to be. The highlight of the evening for me was Natural Science, which they performed to near perfection. The guitar player absolutely NAILED the solo which is pretty amazing. I highly recommend that any Rush fanatic in the area make the effort to get out and see these guys. You will not be disappointed.

You are most kind, EMS.  :notworthy:

It is definitely a labor of love. Natural Science is my second favorite Rush song, only second to Hemispheres.

Thanks so much for coming out.

My pleasure KL. I can assure you I will soon be a regular at your gigs. It will be tough for me to get out until after May 2 (when I graduate from Goldey Beacom). I won't likely be able to make the benefit show at JBM or the Dobbs gig up in Philly (best of luck with that one though!). I really want to try to make Pale Dog, but I can't say for sure until it gets closer. I will DEFINITELY be at the June gig at JBM though, and will likely be able to bring a few friends with me. I also have your website bookmarked now and look very forward to seeing you guys many, many times in the future. I feel very lucky to have a quality RUSH tribute band so close to home.

BTW, having just seen these guys, let me assure everyone that these youtube clips do very little justice to how good they actually sound in person. If you are RUSH fan in the Delaware area you MUST come see these guys. Seriously...

#44 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

Thank you so much EMS! Very kind words.

Congrats on the graduation!  :dweez:

#45 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Not liking them....drummer doesn't have it, music is marginal...sorry...8th notes on the hi-hat during Tom Sawyer?  really?

The only tribute band I ever saw for ANY band that really cut it was The Musical Box doing Genesis...  I walked out of that show convinced that I went to see Genesis doing the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway....

Aussie Pink Floyd was OK at best

The Machine was decent...

None of the Rush tributes I've ever seen was even close...

Hell...Zappa Plays Zappa doesn't even make the grade...Ok, the tunes that Ray White sang were good, but the rest was "eh"!

Edited by Jaminbenb, 17 March 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#46 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Ouch.  :|

#47 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostKennyLee, on 17 March 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Don't be discouraged Kenny. Keep doing what you do. Expecting a drummer to play Neil Peart perfectly is simply unrealistic. If you play as well as you did when I saw you at JB McGinnes, I expect you will be received very well at "Prog Night" at Dobbs.

#48 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 17 March 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Don't be discouraged Kenny. Keep doing what you do. Expecting a drummer to play Neil Peart perfectly is simply unrealistic. If you play as well as you did when I saw you at JB McGinnes, I expect you will be received very well at "Prog Night" at Dobbs.

Thanks.  :blush:

#49 forcetenrushtribute

forcetenrushtribute

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Kenny, don't let any of that mess with your head. People have opinions and are entitled to them. However, you and I as vocalists for Rush tribute bands are doing something that is absolutely impossible to duplicate to a "T". Rush is not like other bands and artists. Their music is so complex and their sound is so personalized, that to come anywhere even close is nothing short of a miracle. It would be nice if everyone recognized and respected what you and I do with our bands but some people are going to be impossible to please. Keep at it man! One of these days our two tribute bands need to meet up somehow.

#50 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm certainly not quitting over the words of Jaminbenb. Haha.

He doesn't like tributes and I get that. My advice is do not attend a show. We are certainly not shoving it down anyone's throat.

Of course as I've said before, when people are overly critical it means they're paying attention. They may pick up the 2-3 mistakes a show but they also appreciate the 2-3,000 things that went right... usually.

#51 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 17 March 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

He doesn't like tributes and I get that. My advice is do not attend a show. We are certainly not shoving it down anyone's throat.

Of course as I've said before, when people are overly critical it means they're paying attention. They may pick up the 2-3 mistakes a show but they also appreciate the 2-3,000 things that went right... usually.

You've nailed it!  Not a fan of tributes by any stretch. BUT...Reading what the OP said, being of the same "mettle" I was expecting "the second coming"! And was dissappointed.

The first thing that got me was the drummer playing 8th notes....sorry please try harder!   If you CAN'T play the 16th notes on the hi-hat for Tom Sawyer, then don't play THAT tune, sorry! IF you're going to be a tribute band, be better than the band you are emulating, in as far as THEY will hire you for a party they are hosting!

But bottom line...play Rush, please don't be a tribute band!  Same with guys who try hard to play EVERY Rush tune on their drums (or whatever instrument) Learn the licks for fun, don't make it your life's goal!  There's ONE Neil Peart, ONE Geddy Lee, and ONE Alex Lifeson!

You guys are obviously good musicians, don't waste your time being Rush! That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Jaminbenb, 17 March 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#52 Lerxster

Lerxster

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8124 posts
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 17 March 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

You've nailed it!  Not a fan of tributes by any stretch. BUT...Reading what the OP said, being of the same "mettle" I was expecting "the second coming"! And was dissappointed.

The first thing that got me was the drummer playing 8th notes....sorry please try harder!   If you CAN'T play the 16th notes on the hi-hat for Tom Sawyer, then don't play THAT tune, sorry! IF you're going to be a tribute band, be better than the band you are emulating, in as far as THEY will hire you for a party they are hosting!

But bottom line...play Rush, please don't be a tribute band!  Same with guys who try hard to play EVERY Rush tune on their drums (or whatever instrument) Learn the licks for fun, don't make it your life's goal!  There's ONE Neil Peart, ONE Geddy Lee, and ONE Alex Lifeson!

You guys are obviously good musicians, don't waste your time being Rush! That's all I'm saying.
:o I didnt understand a word. :fuckinputer:

#53 forcetenrushtribute

forcetenrushtribute

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hey, check out what I write on the "description" of my video. While I can't speak for Kenny's band (though I have a hunch he would say the same thing I do), my band is not trying to BE "Rush". That is NOT the purpose of a tribute band. Again, see my description. I think you have the definition of a "tribute band" all wrong - which might be why you don't like them. If you think the intent is to "BE" them or be BETTER than them (as you said...re: what you are "emulating"), you've got the wrong definition and the wrong idea. It is ridiculous to think that we can be "better" than what we are "emulating" (i.e., "Rush"). It is also ridiculous to think that such should/would be the goal. It's not. A tribute band is exactly that - a "tribute".... "TRIBUTE: a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem. " (source http://www.dictionary.com) When you pay "tribute" to something, your purpose is to compliment and pay homage and respect to that which you are "esteeming". Not to "prove yourself as one and the same or better"...as you seem to interpret. Change your interpretation of the word "tribute", accept what Kenny and I do for what it is  (and NOTHING more) and I think you might appreciate not only us but all "tribute bands" a lot more.

Edited by forcetenrushtribute, 17 March 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#54 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Sorry, dude. He usually plays 16th notes and I had to look back to see what you were talking about. I know that was an end of the night encore song... tired? You're right though. Should be 16th notes and he can't get lazy, even after 3 hours.

All that being said, get a grip. We love playing Rush and people love hearing it. Dozens of people have come up and appreciated simply seeing how it is done with three people. They can get really close to see the full choreography of the pedals, samples being triggered the change between bass and keys, the multitude of pedals the guitar player steps on. It's a treat. If it ain't for you, by all means, don't bother. We're doing quite well and we have only been doing it a little over a year. Believe me, we improve every show. It is fun and people enjoy it. Really no need to dig any deeper than that.

And one thing... "IF you're going to be a tribute band, be better than the band you are emulating"

What the hell does that mean? Be better than Rush themselves? Other than being able to hit some vocal notes that Geddy can't anymore, how is that possible?

#55 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostKennyLee, on 18 March 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

All that being said, get a grip. We love playing Rush and people love hearing it.    It is fun and people enjoy it. Really no need to dig any deeper than that.

I had an absolute BLAST watching you guys jam RUSH tunes Kenny. I did not walk into JB McGinnes expecting to see RUSH themselves. I was actually expecting a lot less to be quite honest. I'm not a musician, but I am well aware of how difficult it is duplicate what RUSH does. I think I have pretty high standards in judging bands who play RUSH (and other bands I like), and you guys were excellent. I have to say though, the acoustics at JBM are not good. I was standing at about the middle of the bar for awhile and the songs sounded pretty good, but when I moved right up in front of the stage you guys sounded waaaayyyyyy better.

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre, 18 March 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#56 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 18 March 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 18 March 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

All that being said, get a grip. We love playing Rush and people love hearing it.    It is fun and people enjoy it. Really no need to dig any deeper than that.

I had an absolute BLAST watching you guys jam RUSH tunes Kenny. I did not walk into JB McGinnes expecting to see RUSH themselves. I was actually expecting a lot less to be quite honest. I'm not a musician, but I am well aware of how difficult it is duplicate what RUSH does. I think I have pretty high standards in judging bands who play RUSH (and other bands I like), and you guys were excellent. I have to say though, the acoustics at JBM are not good. I was standing at about the middle of the bar for awhile and the songs sounded pretty good, but when I moved right up in front of the stage you guys sounded waaaayyyyyy better.

I hear ya. I go into seeing most bands with low expectations, actually. Haha

I'm glad you had a good time. The sound system there is great and the soundman does an awesome job but the nature of acoustics does come into play. Where you are in the club makes a huge difference. I usually hang out near the sound guy. Hehe

#57 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

As I said previously...my "case in point" is going to see The Musical Box which is a Genesis tribute act.  I saw them do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and it was AMAZING!  A friend of mine that was at that show and I went to see Rush in Allentown a few years back, and we were talking about some of the old shows that we've seen...he said that he saw Genesis do that show BITD, but recently saw TMB do it, and said it was AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER than when Genesis did it!   He said he walked out of there as amazed as he was when he saw the real band do it live!  THAT is what I'm talking about...

So when you say "And one thing... "IF you're going to be a tribute band, be better than the band you are emulating"

What the hell does that mean? Be better than Rush themselves? Other than being able to hit some vocal notes that Geddy can't anymore, how is that possible?"

You can't! It isn't! (and I'm not talking vocals...)  The fact that Rush is still playing, and there are people TRYING to emulate them, to me is ridiculous.  I'd actually respect the cover bands more if they played stuff that Rush DIDN'T play anymore, and not try the stuff the band is still playing. (and I'm not just picking on YOUR band, I"m talking all of them)

I get it..people enjoy it, knock yourselves out....but wouldn't you feel better making your OWN music, and not trying to be someone else?

#58 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 18 March 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

You can't! It isn't! (and I'm not talking vocals...)  The fact that Rush is still playing, and there are people TRYING to emulate them, to me is ridiculous.  I'd actually respect the cover bands more if they played stuff that Rush DIDN'T play anymore, and not try the stuff the band is still playing. (and I'm not just picking on YOUR band, I"m talking all of them)

I get it..people enjoy it, knock yourselves out....but wouldn't you feel better making your OWN music, and not trying to be someone else?

Wow. Pretty hostile, eh?

We do play the stuff Rush doesn't play anymore... Bangkok, Bastille Day, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Circumstances, Jacob's Ladder, etc. When putting a demo together which you saw, you put the familiar ones out there. It's used to book gigs, not impress die hards.

I wrote and performed originals when I was younger. Wasn't a great songwriter. So by your logic, sell all my stuff cause everything else is stupid and pointless? How sad.

I feel sorry for you, Jaminbenb. How lonely it must be up there.

Money where your mouth is? Got a clip we can all hear?

Edited by KennyLee, 18 March 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#59 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?  I listened, I offered my opinion, and gave you examples of why my opinion is what it is, and you're trying pick a fight.

Get over it...I'm not a fan of Rush tribute bands, (and other band's tribute acts) I never will be.

#60 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 18 March 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?  I listened, I offered my opinion, and gave you examples of why my opinion is what it is, and you're trying pick a fight.

Get over it...I'm not a fan of Rush tribute bands, (and other band's tribute acts) I never will be.

Not at all. I really do feel sorry for you. I was curious to hear you play. No hard feelings at all.

A respect and appreciate your opinion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users