grateful dead

rushgoober

ok, i know i end up coming off as a hippie for loving them, but well, if the shoe fits...

highlights:

antem of the sun (1968) - one of the top ten greatest psychedelic albums ever

workingman's dead & american beauty (1970) - most of their classic songs come from these two albums - on these two they dropped the psychedelic sound completely in exchange for laid back california good time hippie music - stone cold classics

wake of the flood (1973) - an underrated masterpiece - groovy, beautiful stuff

that's about it as far as consisent great studio albums, but they're really known more as a live band anyway. coming from the dead school, i find it very weird indeed that rush would play the same songs in the same order for the length of an entire tour, as the grateful dead played a completely different set every night, and even they didn't know what they were going to play when they started a show, not to mention the fact that each time they played a song it was different as they improvised and jammed endlessly and would have one song flow into another, sometimes playing even an hour of continuous music - such a vastly different feel than a group like rush. they're both great, but for vastly different reasons.

ok, so anyone else a fan? anyone?

(ducks in anticipation of projectile verbal weapons and heinous laughter)

i guess it would be a reach for me to expect any rush fans to be into the dead, as musically they have next to nothing in common.

my path from one to the other was that i was a big heavy metal fan in the early 80's, including rush (rush being the only group i still listen to actively from that era). i was then introduced in the mid-80's to more classic rock, and specificaly late 60's/early 70's psychedelic music when i began hanging around deadheads who insisted on forcing live dead tapes into any environment i was in. it took me awhile, but i eventually learned to like and then love them. i couldn't expect though that any other rush fan had the same musical evolvement though...

What are you talking about, I think the Grateful Dead are great. I've not heard a great deal by them (American Beauty, In the Dark and a bootleg from 1976.

A lot of this comes from my sister who lives with a complete and utter Dead. She was actually going to take him over to the States to see them on the nearest tour to his 40th Birthday when, sadly, Jerry garcia died.

What are you talking about, I think the Grateful Dead are great. I've not heard a great deal by them (American Beauty, In the Dark and a bootleg from 1976.

cool beans, slaine, glad to hear it. if you get a chance to hear 1968's anthem of the sun (really, a fantastic psychedelic achievement, and INCREDIBLY different than the titles you mention above), please let me know what you think of it. as a psychedelic fanatic, it's definitely one of the ten best ever, and for me the second best to come out of san francisco behind jefferson airplane's "after bathing at baxter's."

Don't listen them that much these days but back in the eighties when I was a tie-dyed freak they were the band of choice ( other than Rush of course ) and I have seen about 10-12 shows, starting at Duke in 1982 through the late 80's.

They were an incredible group with very good lyrics.

QUOTE (bardan @ Aug 14 2005, 06:01 PM)
I guess you could say I'm a little bit of a fan. I saw them live about 140 times. biggrin.gif

ONLY the 140 shows, huh? ohmy.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

gald to know there are other heads on the rush board!

btw, super cool and groovy avatar!!! common001.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 14 2005, 11:36 PM)
I saw The Dead 24 times, and the Jerry Garcia Band 16 times.  I was a Rush fan first.  Rush and The Dead are apples and oranges.

Last Tuesday was the tenth anniversary of Jerry's death. sad.gif

Yeah, I heard that - wow, 10 years already, huh?

R.I.P. Jerry, you're still missed...

http://www.sohoweeklynews.com/Book/Music/jerry_garcia_std.jpg

http://www.in-the-spirit.com/images/jg4_blk.jpg

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 15 2005, 03:36 AM)
I saw The Dead 24 times, and the Jerry Garcia Band 16 times. I was a Rush fan first. Rush and The Dead are apples and oranges.

Last Tuesday was the tenth anniversary of Jerry's death. sad.gif

OMG it's been 10 years already???? Wow. sad.gif

Archived