SteamPunk, baby!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Cool idea.

Sponsored Post

#22 Rushchick10

Rushchick10

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3322 posts
  • Interests:Rush, endurance cycling, Rush, weightlifting, Rush, music, Geddy Lee, hiking, Rush...oh, you get the idea!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

Ok, I'm starting to get sucked in!  In all my research while finding design ideas for my tattoo, I have come across some INCREDIBLE stuff!  Really, there are some AMAZING artists and do-it-yourself-ers out there!  If you have the time, check some of it out!  My husband and I already know what we are doing for Halloween, and I am considering a slightly "Steampunked" outfit for the Rush shows that I will be attending!  I'll be starting some craft projects of my own this weekend!

I'm hooked, what can I say!  laugh.gif  

#23 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 6 2011, 02:17 AM)
Ok, I'm starting to get sucked in!  In all my research while finding design ideas for my tattoo, I have come across some INCREDIBLE stuff!  Really, there are some AMAZING artists and do-it-yourself-ers out there!  If you have the time, check some of it out!  My husband and I already know what we are doing for Halloween, and I am considering a slightly "Steampunked" outfit for the Rush shows that I will be attending!  I'll be starting some craft projects of my own this weekend!

I'm hooked, what can I say!  laugh.gif

Yeah, there's some pretty cool stuff out there. Rush was either very lucky or very prescient in choosing steampunk as the theme for this tour.

I am still working on the Clockwork Angels necklace. I've got it mostly done but I need to add a few more cogs. I made clay beads to represent each of the guys based on the symbols in the lower right-hand corner of their pics in the tour book. They all have black backgrounds - Geddy's symbol is white (B&W like his bass), Alex's is gold (like most of his guitars) and Neil's is red (B&R being his favorite color combo). I strung one bead with gold spacer beads on a head pin (straight wire) and then attached that to a length of chain. The chain then has a bit of clock/steampunk piece hanging from it. There are 3 each of the bead sections and 7 sections of chain. The chain just looks kind of sparse so I want to add a couple small cogs to each section. My supplies should be here by Saturday and then I'll get it done. Describing it doesn't really get it across.....  eh.gif  

#24 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15612 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Dec 26 2010, 06:34 PM)
Well Steampunk is the mix of old and new ... so anything which has Victoriana/cogs/dirigibles/keys and you're set lol

Found a few nice pieces which might inspire a bit of your tatt ...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I like all these! biggrin.gif

#25 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15612 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Dec 26 2010, 06:34 PM)
user posted image

and of course, this one too! smile.gif

#26 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15612 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Dec 28 2010, 03:23 PM)
LOVE these

user posted image
user posted image

totally covet these

user posted image

Quite beautiful! smile.gif

#27 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

Here's a few shots of the work in progress Clockwork Angels necklace:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is Geddy's symbol:
user posted image

Alex's:
user posted image

Neil's:
user posted image

And these are the earrings:
user posted image

They hang like this:
user posted image

I'm waiting on my Hubby to make me a holder so that I can add the pieces to taut chain. It's a pain to do without the chain being held. Hopefully tomorrow night.....

#28 Ya_Big_Tree

Ya_Big_Tree

"I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!"

• Members *
  • 14818 posts
  • Interests:Anything that I find interesting obviously interests me.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 8 2011, 02:40 AM)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is Geddy's symbol:
user posted image

Alex's:
user posted image

Neil's:
user posted image

user posted image

They hang like this:
user posted image

I'm waiting on my Hubby to make me a holder so that I can add the pieces to taut chain. It's a pain to do without the chain being held. Hopefully tomorrow night.....

Those look SICK!!!   1022.gif

What metal are they made of?  

#29 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

The appear to be mostly brass, though there could be some "good stuff" hiding in there somewhere. A couple of pieces still have the jewels embedded in them, they look like rubies.  

#30 CMWriter

CMWriter

I am one to believe in magic

• Members
  • 3398 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, comics, science fiction, and this dumb band. ;)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 8 2011, 02:40 AM)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is Geddy's symbol:
user posted image

Alex's:
user posted image

Neil's:
user posted image

user posted image

They hang like this:
user posted image

Me gusta!
Y yo quisiera!! ♥

/fail Spanish

But those are really nice, even the WIPs.
I adoooore the necklace and the earrings. Especially the earrings, though.  

#31 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanks CM! I don't do Spanish either. unsure.gif

I have loads of those little cogs. Enough to make more earrings for the New World Women. Let me get the necklace done first and then we'll talk about making all of our ears match!  wink.gif  

#32 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Beautiful, Tery! That's gonna be one gorgeous set!

I got the blue trees Time Machine shirt with the copper symbols on it, and now I'm wanting some shiny copper jewelry to go with it...must look...

#33 Rushchick10

Rushchick10

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3322 posts
  • Interests:Rush, endurance cycling, Rush, weightlifting, Rush, music, Geddy Lee, hiking, Rush...oh, you get the idea!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 8 2011, 09:22 PM)

I got the blue trees Time Machine shirt with the copper symbols on it, and now I'm wanting some shiny copper jewelry to go with it...must look...

And, here I am, wishing that I still had small enough holes in my ears to wear that stuff!  I have gauged my earring holes up to at least 12 or 14 gauge.  And, I am working on my lower holes being a 2 gauge to accommodate my new Steampunk plugs!  I'll post pics when I have then!  biggrin.gif

Edited by Rushchick10, 08 January 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#34 CMWriter

CMWriter

I am one to believe in magic

• Members
  • 3398 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, comics, science fiction, and this dumb band. ;)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 8 2011, 08:22 PM)

Aaawww, just occurred to me that shirt would PERFECT with the aforementioned jewelry sets!
Unfortunately I'm not about to pay forty bucks and then shipping for one of the shirts. They're really cool but I've already got a TM t-shirt (the black lightning one; got that one at the concert) and the windbreaker (cleeearance!).

#35 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 8 2011, 07:22 PM)

Fire Mountain Gems has good prices and a wide variety of copper stuff:

copper jewelry

This is pretty cool:

user posted image

cool.gif  

Edited by HowItIs, 09 January 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#36 Rushchick10

Rushchick10

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3322 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Ok, I think I have collected enough material to hand over to the hubby.  Now, to tell him I want a likeness of Geddy Lee on my left arm...  ph34r.gif

I can always show him a picture of my friend Petie's Geddy tattoo, and say, "hey, it could be worse..."  tongue.gif

I have mentioned this before...hubby has a bit of an "issue" with my Geddy crush.   eyesre4.gif  

#37 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 9 2011, 05:30 PM)
Ok, I think I have collected enough material to hand over to the hubby.  Now, to tell him I want a likeness of Geddy Lee on my left arm...  ph34r.gif

I can always show him a picture of my friend Petie's Geddy tattoo, and say, "hey, it could be worse..."  tongue.gif

I have mentioned this before...hubby has a bit of an "issue" with my Geddy crush.   eyesre4.gif

J, I just looked at your hubby's tattoo portfolio - he is really talented!  I can't wait to see how this comes out! biggrin.gif

#38 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 9 2011, 12:48 AM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 8 2011, 07:22 PM)

Fire Mountain Gems has good prices and a wide variety of copper stuff:

copper jewelry

This is pretty cool:

user posted image

cool.gif

Oooh, thanks! I found a necklace that's perfect and need to decide between a couple bracelets! Copper isn't a color I really would have thought to wear if it weren't for that shirt, but now it's all new territory  smile.gif

#39 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

So now you've all got me intrigued in Steampunk style....check out this person's Etsy page.  Some cool stuff!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/edmdesigns

I especially like this necklace:

user posted image

Edited by LakesideMaiden, 09 January 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#40 Rushchick10

Rushchick10

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3322 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jan 9 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 9 2011, 05:30 PM)
Ok, I think I have collected enough material to hand over to the hubby.  Now, to tell him I want a likeness of Geddy Lee on my left arm...  ph34r.gif

I can always show him a picture of my friend Petie's Geddy tattoo, and say, "hey, it could be worse..."  tongue.gif

I have mentioned this before...hubby has a bit of an "issue" with my Geddy crush.   eyesre4.gif

J, I just looked at your hubby's tattoo portfolio - he is really talented!  I can't wait to see how this comes out! biggrin.gif

Oh yes, he is very talented.  If you look at my photos on Facebook, there's a picture of me where you can see my right arm.  He did the koi/water scene for me this last summer.  wink.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users