43 replies to this topic

#21 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2005, 06:58 PM)
Rush can be very loud, but in a place like Radio City Music Hall, that volume is being pumped out of an extremely clean sound system. That means it doesn't hurt your ears as much (less distortion), and that makes for a very enjoyable show.

Yes, it does. smile.gif

Cheers to that!  trink39.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 RushGuru

RushGuru

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • Interests:Rush (duh), guitar, drums, going to concerts, Playing in my band, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Hockey, Football...

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:49 AM

Definetly the Kiss and Aerosmith tour a year or so ago. Aerosmith wasn't that bad but Kiss was mind boggling. My ears rang for a week after that. I never found Rush to be super loud. They were always just right when I saw them.

#23 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8125 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:56 AM

With Rush I think its a case of them being loud but with a clarity that means they don't seem quite as loud, if you get what I mean.  Part of the reason that Motorhead have seemed so loud to me is that the PA or backline is so distorted that there is little clarity, hence it seems louder.

With Rush, there has been very little distortion so it has not seemed quite so earsplitting.  The exception to this was the Signals tour - for some reason the sound was not up to their usual standard and did, therefore, seemed to be a bit louder.  

#24 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5382 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

I go to concerts quite regularly and I think Rush plays around the middle of the bell curve.....At the far left (quiet) was without question Dave Matthews...and the far right was Van Halen.  Nugent used to play loudly but the last time I saw him I'd say he cut back by 25%.  The last two times I saw Van Halen I swear my ears rang for 4 days....I won't see them again without ear plugs....

#25 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5382 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:14 PM

Oh and by the way Slaine....'tis a pity you photos won't go any slower.... trink39.gif  

#26 Pratt Boy

Pratt Boy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

I sat 7th row, on the side, staring at a stack of speakers at an Iron Maiden concert in the mid-80's. There was ringing in my ears for 3 days. If I'm not mistaken, they were the loudest band touring at the time. (circa 1984-85)
Van Halen was pretty freakin' loud, too.

But as far as RUSH, I think they go for sound rather than loudness.

#27 Uncle

Uncle

The Seeker

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Music, Hill Walking, Fencing and many others.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

I was on the first night of the Wembley gig (8th September) Crap seats, awesome show.

I think deep purple hold the world record for loudest concert ever.

#28 Spirit of the Radio

Spirit of the Radio

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

Yup, i've been to a motorhead concert, and yep, they're pretty loud, and the play in very small halls aswell.

If anyone's been to Colston Hall, that's where i saw them last time, and this november i'm seeing them in Cardiff Uni, 4 times as small........4 TIMES AS LOUD!!!!!

For me, Rush weren't too loud, but i was 20 metres(?) away from the stage to the right in the NEC, But it was a good kinda loud, where you can still hear what you're listening too

Funny that, even though motorhead are one of the loudest, i could hear everything that was played

confused13.gif  

#29 Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Uncle @ Apr 11 2005, 02:50 PM)
I was on the first night of the Wembley gig (8th September) Crap seats, awesome show.

I think deep purple hold the world record for loudest concert ever.

Wow me too! Small world huh? it was indeed an awsome show, however form where I was sitting the acoustic wern't all that good at the beginning, but the fixed by the time they got to Earthshine!

#30 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

For me the loudest concert I attended was Iron Maiden in 1984 on the World Slavery Tour.   2.gif is loud but the right level of loud.  It just sounds right to me...

#31 ALifeson85

ALifeson85

Mortal Kombatant

• Members
  • 1876 posts
  • Interests:Music, playing guitar, movies, video gaming, spending time with my son....

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

Rush has never been to loud for me. I would say the LOUDEST bands I have seen would be a tie between Metallica and AC/DC. Kiss was CLOSE, but not as loud. Every other band I have seen live had been perfect. Not TOO loud, not TOO quiet. They were all just loud loud enough for EVERYONE to hear them perfectly and able to hear everything clealy, but at the same time, didn't really have to SCREAM to the person right NEXT to you whenever you wanted to say something to each other, lol.  tongue.gif
Rush's sound has ALWAYS been perfect live...well, for all the show's I'VE seen, anyway. I would probably say that the Test for Echo tour was the loudest Rush tour for me though. It wasn't PAINFULLY loud...but...louder than any other time I have seen them in concert. but either way...Rush has ALWAYS put on some of the best live shows out there today.  yes.gif

-Matt

#32 Cato76

Cato76

The Seeker

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Mereas @ Apr 8 2005, 06:27 PM)
Ive been to 4-5 rockconcerts, but noone plays as loud as Rush. Anyone think so too?
Parts of Neils drumming almost vaporized me, it was heavy, wacko.gif
So what do you think, generaly, are Rush more loud than other bands...?

I thought Kiss and Molly Hatchet were extremely loud, but, then again, that's the way I like it. laugh.gif  

#33 fountain of lamnEthan

fountain of lamnEthan

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

Ever seen the ramones? its just this wall of sound that hits you. its insane!

#34 rushstarboy37

rushstarboy37

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

I haven't been to one but everybody always says that ac/dc is the loudest band they've ever heard.

#35 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34619 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 13 2005, 12:45 AM)
I haven't been to one but everybody always says that ac/dc is the loudest band they've ever heard.

I've heard the same thing. AC/DC and Motorhead will make your ears bleed. Cool.  cool.gif  

#36 rushstarboy37

rushstarboy37

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 13 2005, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 13 2005, 12:45 AM)

I've heard the same thing. AC/DC and Motorhead will make your ears bleed. Cool.  cool.gif

Just the way I like it 1287.gif  icon_alienjig.gif  common001.gif

#37 Oberon

Oberon

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading (in English and French), learning other languages (I'm at four right now, starting one more next year), movies, good humour (Monty Python et al.), travel

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:17 AM

I think Manowar holds the record for loudest.

#38 Oberon

Oberon

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading (in English and French), learning other languages (I'm at four right now, starting one more next year), movies, good humour (Monty Python et al.), travel

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:19 AM

Manowar.

user posted image

#39 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4212 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:50 AM

A typical rock concert ranges from between 110 to 125 decibels. The loudest on record is The Who, at 126db. Man-O-War claims to have reached 129.5 in 1994 and says Guinness refused to list it because they didn't want to encourage people to try and break it -- a quick check of the Guinness website confirms they have no listing for loudest rock concert.

I seem to have read somewhere that the current unofficial record is something sick, like 146db. Can't confirm this obviously.

A bit of background on sound:

The average conversation typically has a sound level of about 50 decibels. Your vacuum cleaner or blender brings the sound level up to about 70 decibels. A typical electric shaver reaches about 85 decibels. If you're imagining the loudness in your head and it doesn't seem like a linear progression - you are catching on quickly. For every 10 decibels, the loudness actually increases twofold. Therefore, 50 decibels is twice as loud as 40, 60 is four times as loud as 40, and so on.

The level an electric shaver reaches - 85 decibels - is widely agreed upon by doctors as the lower threshhold at which damage can begin occurring. At this level, several hours of exposure in a day can cause irreversible damage to the ears, especially if exposed on a regular basis.

For more reference - hearing a jet take off from 500 meters away reaches an approximate level of 100 decibels - 32 times as loud as your typical office, and more strikingly, 4 times louder than a freight train.

Damage starts slowly at 85, and rapidly increases as sound levels go up. It takes only two hours of exposure in a day at 100 decibels to do permanent damage to a person's hearing.

At 110 decibels, that time decreases to only 30 minutes. At 130? A mere 3 minutes and 45 seconds of exposure can cause permanent hearing loss.

What did you say...??? confused13.gif

Edited by launchpad67a, 13 April 2005 - 02:50 AM.

#40 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8125 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

Just looking at the Guiness World Records.  No entry for a loudest band (I always thought it was The Who), but there is the following entry:

Loudest Drummer

A peak reading of 109.1 decibels was recorded during a show by the French one-man show The Jerome Experience (aka drummer Jéróme Dehèdin) at the Celtic Warriors 10th Birthday Bash at Woodgreen Animal Shelter, Cambridgeshire, UK on April 12, 2003.

A peak-level sound meter was used to record Dehèdin's drumming, which peaked at a volume equivalent to a propeller plane taking off and louder than a pneumatic drill from 3 m (10 ft) away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users