Loud

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Mereas

Mereas

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Music, first of all RUSH...driving Mini-z car (radiocontrolled)

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

Ive been to 4-5 rockconcerts, but noone plays as loud as Rush. Anyone think so too?
Parts of Neils drumming almost vaporized me, it was heavy, wacko.gif
So what do you think, generaly, are Rush more loud than other bands...?

Sponsored Post

#2 thestand

thestand

Chapman Stickman

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:44 PM

I've only been to one 2.gif concert, and was blown away. I was in the pit at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, for those of you who aren't upstate New York hicks like myself) and was blown away. Granted, the acoustics at SPAC are made for the ballets and plays that play there, so that added a ton of overhead resonance, but they were still screamingly loud. I went to The (Grateful) Dead, Phish, & Dave Matthews last year as well as 2.gif, but they got blown out of the water

#3 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34619 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

The loudest show I ever attended was Van Halen in 1980 (Women and Children First tour) at Nassau Coliseum in NY. That little hockey rink couldn't handle the wattage Eddie & Co. was putting out, and it was tough to tell what song they were playng half the time until Dave started singing. Great show.

Rush can be very loud, but in a place like Radio City Music Hall, that volume is being pumped out of an extremely clean sound system. That means it doesn't hurt your ears as much (less distortion), and that makes for a very enjoyable show.

#4 Alsgalpal

Alsgalpal

Mermaid of the Lunar Sea

• Members *
  • 16288 posts
  • Interests:Music, sportbikes, photography and horses...

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

Loudest concert I went to was Metallica.  It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

#5 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:10 PM

Sometimes it depends on where you sit. The acoustics etc ...  

#6 Bastille Night

Bastille Night

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2407 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Apr 8 2005, 06:59 PM)
Loudest concert I went to was Metallica.  It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

Metallica was my loudest too, and I loved every second of it 1022.gif

I think Motorhead used to hold the record for loudest concert, but that may have been an urban legend.

#7 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34619 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Apr 8 2005, 08:13 PM)
Loudest concert I went to was Metallica.  It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

Metallica was my loudest too, and I loved every second of it 1022.gif

I think Motorhead used to hold the record for loudest concert, but that may have been an urban legend.

I never saw Ted Nugent, but he was up there. Before a show, he would ask his sound guy how many watts they'd need to push a hall. After Ted got his answer, he would say, "Good. Double it."

#8 Dweezil

Dweezil

Alien Among Us

• Members *
  • 20339 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

Ted Nugent!
rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

unsure.gif Sorry. Don't like his politiks

#9 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

The loudest concert I was ever at (and I've been to MANY concerts) was Kiss Lick It Up tour at Radio City Music Hall.  I was in the mezz section so no issue there.  It was just LOUD.  OMG - Thunderously loud.  The most Painfully loud show I ever saw was when my band opened for Quiet Riot at a local night club.  Their sound system could handle a small arena, and here they are turning up to 11 for a night club.  The mid range sounds and ESPECIALLY the vocals made your ears bleed.  People were running to the bar and rest rooms for napkins to shove in their ears.

BTW - I have never found Rush to be overly loud.  I'm not sure why people think so.

#10 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 07:21 PM)
Ted Nugent!

Well, I have one thing to say ...

WANGO TANGO!!!  

#11 Cygnus

Cygnus

The Barista of Boobies

• Members *
  • 14662 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 08:21 PM)
Ted Nugent!

Ted's my mentor

#12 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8125 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

I think the loudest band I have ever seen has got to be Motorhead.  When I saw them at Sheffield City Hall on the No Remorse tour, their backline was almost as loud as most band's PA systems.  As Lemmy put it once, on stage, Motorhead have a sound you can lean on.

#13 Uncle

Uncle

The Seeker

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Music, Hill Walking, Fencing and many others.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

I was at the very back of wembly for the R30 tour and I still found it to be up there in loudness with metallica and maiden when I saw them cool.gif

The way it should be.

#14 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8125 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

Which night at Wembley?

I was there on the 9th (Second Night) up in the gods and looking down onto Ged's keyboard set up

#15 kbomb106

kbomb106

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1774 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

It depends on the venue, too.  I've seen Rush at the Tweeter Center in Camden, MSG, twice at the Meadowlands and twice at the PNC Bank Arts center and the Arts Center had my ears ringing for days.  Not so with the other venues.

#16 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 8 2005, 08:49 PM)
It depends on the venue, too.  I've seen Rush at the Tweeter Center in Camden, MSG, twice at the Meadowlands and twice at the PNC Bank Arts center and the Arts Center had my ears ringing for days.  Not so with the other venues.

Hey you and I see them at the same places!! But I've never been to the Tweeter Center.

#17 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2005, 06:58 PM)
Rush can be very loud, but in a place like Radio City Music Hall, that volume is being pumped out of an extremely clean sound system. That means it doesn't hurt your ears as much (less distortion), and that makes for a very enjoyable show.

Yes, it does. smile.gif

#18 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2005, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2005, 06:58 PM)

Yes, it does. smile.gif

I concur with our illustrious admins.... yes.gif  yes.gif  

#19 kbomb106

kbomb106

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1774 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 8 2005, 09:13 PM)
Hey you and I see them at the same places!! But I've never been to the Tweeter Center.

Not anymore, I'm afraid.  While I used to live about 2 miles away from PNC, I now live in VT.  I won't be making treks to NJ for concerts anymore.  Now it'll be more like Boston, Hartford, Albany - or anywhere nearby.  It really sucks not having a venue near you.

#20 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protg

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:02 AM

I went to the Metallica show on their St. Anger tour and I thought Rush played MUCH louder during the R30 show that I went to.  I don't think anyone can beat  2.gif live.  They are so amazing.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users