Loud

Mereas

Ive been to 4-5 rockconcerts, but noone plays as loud as Rush. Anyone think so too?

Parts of Neils drumming almost vaporized me, it was heavy, wacko.gif

So what do you think, generaly, are Rush more loud than other bands...?

I've only been to one 2.gif concert, and was blown away. I was in the pit at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, for those of you who aren't upstate New York hicks like myself) and was blown away. Granted, the acoustics at SPAC are made for the ballets and plays that play there, so that added a ton of overhead resonance, but they were still screamingly loud. I went to The (Grateful) Dead, Phish, & Dave Matthews last year as well as 2.gif, but they got blown out of the water

The loudest show I ever attended was Van Halen in 1980 (Women and Children First tour) at Nassau Coliseum in NY. That little hockey rink couldn't handle the wattage Eddie & Co. was putting out, and it was tough to tell what song they were playng half the time until Dave started singing. Great show.

Rush can be very loud, but in a place like Radio City Music Hall, that volume is being pumped out of an extremely clean sound system. That means it doesn't hurt your ears as much (less distortion), and that makes for a very enjoyable show.

Loudest concert I went to was Metallica. It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Apr 8 2005, 06:59 PM)
Loudest concert I went to was Metallica. It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

Metallica was my loudest too, and I loved every second of it 1022.gif

I think Motorhead used to hold the record for loudest concert, but that may have been an urban legend.

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Apr 8 2005, 08:13 PM)
Loudest concert I went to was Metallica.  It was so loud, I literally couldn't see straight, and I cried all the way home because of the extreme headache I got, even with ear plugs.

Metallica was my loudest too, and I loved every second of it 1022.gif

I think Motorhead used to hold the record for loudest concert, but that may have been an urban legend.

I never saw Ted Nugent, but he was up there. Before a show, he would ask his sound guy how many watts they'd need to push a hall. After Ted got his answer, he would say, "Good. Double it."

The loudest concert I was ever at (and I've been to MANY concerts) was Kiss Lick It Up tour at Radio City Music Hall. I was in the mezz section so no issue there. It was just LOUD. OMG - Thunderously loud. The most Painfully loud show I ever saw was when my band opened for Quiet Riot at a local night club. Their sound system could handle a small arena, and here they are turning up to 11 for a night club. The mid range sounds and ESPECIALLY the vocals made your ears bleed. People were running to the bar and rest rooms for napkins to shove in their ears.

BTW - I have never found Rush to be overly loud. I'm not sure why people think so.

I think the loudest band I have ever seen has got to be Motorhead. When I saw them at Sheffield City Hall on the No Remorse tour, their backline was almost as loud as most band's PA systems. As Lemmy put it once, on stage, Motorhead have a sound you can lean on.

I was at the very back of wembly for the R30 tour and I still found it to be up there in loudness with metallica and maiden when I saw them cool.gif

The way it should be.

It depends on the venue, too. I've seen Rush at the Tweeter Center in Camden, MSG, twice at the Meadowlands and twice at the PNC Bank Arts center and the Arts Center had my ears ringing for days. Not so with the other venues.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 8 2005, 08:49 PM)
It depends on the venue, too. I've seen Rush at the Tweeter Center in Camden, MSG, twice at the Meadowlands and twice at the PNC Bank Arts center and the Arts Center had my ears ringing for days. Not so with the other venues.

Hey you and I see them at the same places!! But I've never been to the Tweeter Center.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2005, 06:58 PM)
Rush can be very loud, but in a place like Radio City Music Hall, that volume is being pumped out of an extremely clean sound system. That means it doesn't hurt your ears as much (less distortion), and that makes for a very enjoyable show.

Yes, it does. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2005, 06:55 PM)

Yes, it does. smile.gif

I concur with our illustrious admins.... yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 8 2005, 09:13 PM)
Hey you and I see them at the same places!! But I've never been to the Tweeter Center.

Not anymore, I'm afraid. While I used to live about 2 miles away from PNC, I now live in VT. I won't be making treks to NJ for concerts anymore. Now it'll be more like Boston, Hartford, Albany - or anywhere nearby. It really sucks not having a venue near you.

I went to the Metallica show on their St. Anger tour and I thought Rush played MUCH louder during the R30 show that I went to. I don't think anyone can beat 2.gif live. They are so amazing.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2005, 09:55 PM)

Yes, it does. smile.gif

Cheers to that! trink39.gif

Definetly the Kiss and Aerosmith tour a year or so ago. Aerosmith wasn't that bad but Kiss was mind boggling. My ears rang for a week after that. I never found Rush to be super loud. They were always just right when I saw them.

With Rush I think its a case of them being loud but with a clarity that means they don't seem quite as loud, if you get what I mean. Part of the reason that Motorhead have seemed so loud to me is that the PA or backline is so distorted that there is little clarity, hence it seems louder.

With Rush, there has been very little distortion so it has not seemed quite so earsplitting. The exception to this was the Signals tour - for some reason the sound was not up to their usual standard and did, therefore, seemed to be a bit louder.

I go to concerts quite regularly and I think Rush plays around the middle of the bell curve.....At the far left (quiet) was without question Dave Matthews...and the far right was Van Halen. Nugent used to play loudly but the last time I saw him I'd say he cut back by 25%. The last two times I saw Van Halen I swear my ears rang for 4 days....I won't see them again without ear plugs....

Archived