Rotate Your Stock!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my upcoming birthday my loving wife indulged my beer drinking with a surprise 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam (I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago and she saw some at the liquor store). I have read some glowing reviews of it and I'm halfway through my first glass right now.

The aroma is something else: tons of citrus and grapefruit and mango. As the name implies it has a very strong hoppy, bitter finish but not as raw as, say, Ruination IPA by Stone Brewery.

It must have a high booze content because after about 6 ounces I'm all warm and fuzzy and all is right with the world.

Clearly this is a world class IPA but I don't think I could rate it higher than the 3 Floyds Dreadnaught I've had previously. There is a limited supply of Hopslam and it is damned expensive at $18.99 for a six pack (hell, I remember when I could get 4 cases of Natty Light for 20 bucks).

Great brew from one of the best breweries so if you see one at your store try it.

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/hopslam.jpg

Brought home a couple of Sierra Nevada brews: Hoptimum & Northern Hemisphere Harvest

And a six pack of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale.

So far the Hoptimum has been disappointing. It's like the SA Pale Ale with some bitter hops aftertaste...not that great. Haven't hit the NH Harvest yet or the Bell's.

Have fajitas on the way so I think I'll break out the Bell's for that. I'm thinking spicy should go with the hops. We'll see.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 4 2011, 06:32 PM)
For my upcoming birthday my loving wife indulged my beer drinking with a surprise 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam (I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago and she saw some at the liquor store). I have read some glowing reviews of it and I'm halfway through my first glass right now.

The aroma is something else: tons of citrus and grapefruit and mango. As the name implies it has a very strong hoppy, bitter finish but not as raw as, say, Ruination IPA by Stone Brewery.

It must have a high booze content because after about 6 ounces I'm all warm and fuzzy and all is right with the world.

Clearly this is a world class IPA but I don't think I could rate it higher than the 3 Floyds Dreadnaught I've had previously. There is a limited supply of Hopslam and it is damned expensive at $18.99 for a six pack (hell, I remember when I could get 4 cases of Natty Light for 20 bucks).

Great brew from one of the best breweries so if you see one at your store try it.

Added to the list. That beer is right up my alley.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2011, 02:13 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 4 2011, 06:32 PM)

Added to the list. That beer is right up my alley.

Yeah, great stuff.

The Two-Hearted Ale is excellent also, like a scaled down version of the Hopslam. Probably my favorite non-Imperial IPA. I think it's going to move into the starting rotation.

I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the SA Hoptimum. Not very rich, a raw bitter aftertaste, not much aroma.

Just opened the SA Northern Hemisphere Harvest.

Gotta say I'm a little let down by SA in the two brews I tried this weekend. It's not bad by any stretch but it just doesn't have any flavors that stand out. It's almost too clean; mild aroma, smooth tasting and clean finish...nothing spectacular or outstanding.

Much prefer their Pale Ale.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 13 2011, 03:15 PM)

Gotta say I'm a little let down by SA in the two brews I tried this weekend. It's not bad by any stretch but it just doesn't have any flavors that stand out. It's almost too clean; mild aroma, smooth tasting and clean finish...nothing spectacular or outstanding.

I haven't tried this year's batch yet, but the Harvest Ales I've tried on numerous occasions were practically bursting with flavor. Did they have a misstep this year, I wonder.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2011, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 13 2011, 03:15 PM)

I haven't tried this year's batch yet, but the Harvest Ales I've tried on numerous occasions were practically bursting with flavor. Did they have a misstep this year, I wonder.

Could be. Also...I had a Two-Hearted Ale before so maybe I had palate fatigue because that is damn near my favorite everyday ale.

Usually a big fan of SA brews...their usual stuff: Pale Ale, Porter and Stouts but the Hoptimum and N.H. Harvest are kind of blah.

Made a run to the beer store and made up a six pack of the following (for some serious America IPA taste testing):

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Stone PA

Stone IPA

Stone Ruination IPA

Dogfish 60 Minute IPA

Dogfish 90 Minute IPA

A six pack of Hopslam!

And upon recommendation from the manager I picked up a lager and a porter from the Okocim Brewery in Poland. She said their porter is the best she's ever had (and who knew Poland produced porters?) and their lager was very nice, crisp and refreshing.

Well I went 0 for 2 last night on the taste testing:

Okocim Porter: tasted more like a stout, a lack of carbonation for my taste and not nearly the mouthfeel I enjoy from a Sam Smith Taddy Porter. Blech. At least I can say I've had a Polish porter.

90 Minute IPA: disappointing after hearing nothing but good things. Not much of an aroma and just a bitter hop taste with a few malts here and there. Could really taste the booze. Not a fan. Hopefully the 60 Minute will be better.

60 Minute IPA: eh...let's just say I'm not a fan of Dogfish IPA's and leave it at that.

Really enjoyed the Stone IPA and Ruination, also the Bell's Two Hearted Ale is excellent very much similar to the Stone IPA. They all have that nice orange color with hop citrus aromas and good rich flavors.

I forgot that I picked up a bottle of Mad Hatter's IPA...could be the worst beer I've ever tried. Smelled like ass and tasted worse.

Stone: Yes

Bell's: Yes

Dogfish: No

Okicim: No

Mad Hatter: Hell No. Never again. Nobody should buy this beer.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Feb 20 2011, 11:31 AM)
60 Minute IPA: eh...let's just say I'm not a fan of Dogfish IPA's and leave it at that.

Really enjoyed the Stone IPA and Ruination, also the Bell's Two Hearted Ale is excellent very much similar to the Stone IPA. They all have that nice orange color with hop citrus aromas and good rich flavors.

I forgot that I picked up a bottle of Mad Hatter's IPA...could be the worst beer I've ever tried. Smelled like ass and tasted worse.

Stone: Yes
Bell's: Yes
Dogfish: No
Okicim: No
Mad Hatter: Hell No. Never again. Nobody should buy this beer.

I'm pretty sure I saw Mad Hatter in the store recently, and wondered about it. *scratches it off wish list*

I think Stone IPA is my go-to IPA. It is consistently awesome. And you had a good point a while back -- the west coast really does make the best IPAs.

===========

I think I'm going to pin this thread and unpin the "What are we drinking tonight" one, which isn't busy enough anymore to be pin-worthy.

Time to revive this thread. This time of year I'm into dark brews such as the porters and stouts:

SA Porter (can't go wrong with this one)

Sam Smith Taddy Porter (always great)

Founder's Breakfast Stout

and.....drumroll....

3 Floyds Alpha Claus Christmas Porter!

http://sixpacktech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Alpha-Klaus-logo.jpg

I've been holding to my "go to" porters by Samuel Smith & SA but have added Founder's Breakfast Stout which is nothing short of phenomenal: great mouth-feel, rich and creamy with perfect carbonation and a decent amount of booze which is well covered. A nice one to sit by the fire with.

Tonight I dip into the Alpha Claus for the first time and I just can't wait to taste it.

trink38.gif