FOOD

Janie

Some of you may or may not know, I like to bake... I'm looking for some Spring cakes or pies that would be good to try.

I know it being Spring and all that berries are always a good choice, cause they are fresh and plump. Also anything with vanilla and light is considered to be good for Spring time.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 17 2010, 05:44 PM)
Some of you may or may not know, I like to bake... I'm looking for some Spring cakes or pies that would be good to try.

I know it being Spring and all that berries are always a good choice, cause they are fresh and plump. Also anything with vanilla and light is considered to be good for Spring time.

I'd like to feed you grapes Chrissie!!

trink38.gif

Great "teriyaki" style marinade/sauce I made last night. (works for chicken/pork/steak)

Cut the meat into cubes and throw in a big Ziploc bag. In a bowl mix:

- 1 C soy sauce

- 1/2 C diced onion

- 1/4 C oyster sauce

- 1/4 C cooking sherry

- 1/4 C honey

- 2 TB rice wine (or apple cider) vinegar

- 1 TB garlic

- 2 tsp fresh ginger

- 1/4 tsp Sriracha

Let it marinade for 20 minutes (long enough to chop the veggies if making a stir fry).

Pull out the meat, reserve the liquid, and cook until done. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Then add the veggies and cook until veggies are desired tenderness.

LIX, you reminded me of a sauce that I make occasionally. I learned it from a friend many years ago. She called it Guam Sauce and made it with pork for serving over rice. But it could go with beef, chicken, fish... I don't have the exact measurements because I learned it by eyeballing how she made it but I'll try to approximate.

1 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup. packed brown sugar

1/2 tablespoon ginger (minced fresh is best but powdered is okay)

1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard

Mix together in a sauce pan and bring to a low boil. Add 1 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch to 1/4 cup of water. Add to the sauce a little at a time until it thickens to your liking. Now add cooked cut-up pork, chicken, beef, fish, whatever. You can add stir-fry veggies too, if you like. Serve over white rice.