Animate

barney_rebel

Discuss.

Just a random song I pulled off the top of my head.

At first when I bought CP, I didn't think highly of it. I thought it was catchy and all, but after seeing it live, and watching Geddy go nuts on the bass on RiR DVD, I havea new-found love for it. The way the keyboards just keep flowing at the end of the song while the other instruments just stop... downright amazing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 8 2004, 03:42 PM)
Discuss.

Just a random song I pulled off the top of my head.

At first when I bought CP, I didn't think highly of it. I thought it was catchy and all, but after seeing it live, and watching Geddy go nuts on the bass on RiR DVD, I havea new-found love for it. The way the keyboards just keep flowing at the end of the song while the other instruments just stop... downright amazing.

totally love the song. i liked it at first, but also really didnt appreciate it as much until i heard it live....love the first line of the first verse, though, really strikes a chord in my Pagan Soul... Goddess in my Garden, sister in my soul....

I am one of those people who totally fell in love with Counterparts the day I bought it (I remember standing outside Mike Lloyd Music in Hanley on the day of release waiting for 45 minutes for the place to open and nearly missing my first lecture of the day). Not having a CD player with me at the time, I bought it on cassette and, of course, had taken my walkman with me.

As soon as I was out of the shop, I popped it in and was totally blown away by Animate.

I can't say exactly what it is I like about it, I just know that I love it

Holy crap - duh... I meant to say "Leave that thing alone"... duh... Ok well now it's Animate:

The drumming is really good in this song. The cymbals are amazing. Bass is simplistic, yet really catchy.

I liked the fact that a lot of people think it's about male domination. I've heard of some women's groups complaining. Is that true?

I've not heard that personally butcan well believe it. When I first heard it, I thought the line 'A man must learn to gently dominate' was a little dubious. However, upon considering the rest of the lyrics, I came to the conclusion its abour reconciling the masculine and feminine side of one's personality - as typified by the Yin-Yang philosophy

I'm with Slain. I taped the album from the radio during a prerelease Rockline special. I was blown away immediately, and was hooked on every song before CP was even released. I actually begged the girl behind the counter at the record store to let me have it a day early because it was scheduled to be released the day after my birthday. She had a crush on me, so she did it. Hi Vicky bekloppt.gif What can I say? I have that effect on women. cool.gif HAHA and my wife knows who she is. I'll have to bring her up tonight at dinner.

Animate is amazing! I remember the radio show where Geddy explained the recording process and how they were using a young guy in the business to give things a fresh approach. A great story about this song - they literally found a broken bass amp in the trash outside of the studio. The wired it up and blasted it into the mic. That's what they used to record Animate. Listen to the bass on that song. Raunchy and in the dirt. They set out to kick your ass with this CD, and man do they ever.

I really got into the live performance also. The live video footage they used blew me away. Animate live has an energy to it that puts me 50 feet off the ground. The Different Stages cut is legendary. The way they end the song is the BEST. You did it again Barney - I have both CP and DS in the car. Animate gets BLASTED tonight on the way home. I'll use cruise control so I don't wind up doing 80 in a 40. biggrin.gif

The funny thing was some of the 'fans' were still bitching about how soft the last few albums were. They set out to blow us away with CP and they did it just fine. They wanted to flow a bit with the grunge movement and went with it. Only great bands like Rush, The Stones, The Who, Zeppelin can pull it off smile.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 8 2004, 04:29 PM)
The funny thing was some of the 'fans' were still bitching about how soft the last few albums were. They set out to blow us away with CP and they did it just fine. They wanted to flow a bit with the grunge movement and went with it. Only great bands like Rush, The Stones, The Who, Zeppelin can pull it off smile.gif

Yeah - Geddy was saying how with RTB and Presto (which sound awesome) being produced by Rupert Hines, the softer songs sounded better than the more aggressive songs.

Bringing Peter Collins back for Counterparts (and T4E) was done with the purpose of drying up the sound and getting more aggressive again.

Alex, for the first time in ages, got out of the control room to record his guitars. He finally went back into the studio, plugged into an amp instead of a mixing board, cranked it up, and played the shit of the music.

1022.gif

When I first decided to buy Counterparts, the only song I had heard from it was a tiny snippet of Leave That Thing Alone. Animate was just one of those songs that immediatly pulled me in, but the rest of the album took a bit of time growing used to. Animate to me just sounds like it has an unreal amount of emotional conviction in it, to me it just blows me away every time I hear it like a sledgehammer to the face. I get chills down my spine especially when Geddy belts out "sister to the boy Inside OOOFF me" on the studio version, just amazing.

Once I learned how to play the song on bass, I dunno, but I think I could feel the emotional fervor they must have had while recording the song. It is not one with much highly complex bass lines, but the bass definatly has a ferocious intensity to it. Its hard to play the bass line after during the "my counterpart, my foolish heart" segment of the song without feeling so swept up that I have to throw my guitar at the wall.

Very very very good song yes.gif and I was very happy they brought it back for the R30 tour. I just wish they played it later in the evening, because the songs in the beginning of the show just dont seem to have the same intensity after the sun has set and its all dark.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 8 2004, 09:46 PM)
When I first decided to buy Counterparts, the only song I had heard from it was a tiny snippet of Leave That Thing Alone. Animate was just one of those songs that immediatly pulled me in, but the rest of the album took a bit of time growing used to. Animate to me just sounds like it has an unreal amount of emotional conviction in it, to me it just blows me away every time I hear it like a sledgehammer to the face. I get chills down my spine especially when Geddy belts out "sister to the boy Inside OOOFF me" on the studio version, just amazing.

Once I learned how to play the song on bass, I dunno, but I think I could feel the emotional fervor they must have had while recording the song. It is not one with much highly complex bass lines, but the bass definatly has a ferocious intensity to it. Its hard to play the bass line after during the "my counterpart, my foolish heart" segment of the song without feeling so swept up that I have to throw my guitar at the wall.

Very very very good song yes.gif and I was very happy they brought it back for the R30 tour. I just wish they played it later in the evening, because the songs in the beginning of the show just dont seem to have the same intensity after the sun has set and its all dark.

Luckily we in Britain didn't have that problem as they played indoor gigs

I LOVE Animate smile.gif....it ROCKS, man...it just...ROCKS!!!

I have a version that my spouse made that doubles the opening drum sequence, as well as a little bass riff in the middle...but anyway, that opening, when you hear Neil counting it down ("one, two, three, four, one, two...") and then LAUNCHING into the drums... I loves it some lots.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 8 2004, 04:44 PM)
I've got admit that I think Peter Collins did some of the best production work for Rush I've heard

Agreed - 100%.

I love Animate, its one of my top 10 favorite Rush songs ever. The song blew me away too the first time I heard it and to this day it still does. Lyrics wise it is an absolutely stunning piece of work. Kudos to Neil for writing it!!

I've always liked "Animate." Neil's countoff was kind of a cool way of announcing right off the bat that CP was going to be a more organic album. I heard the radio premiere of CP just prior to its release and Neil talked about the anima/animus tie in (from Carl Jung's theories of psychology), so I knew even before I heard the song for the first time where the lyrics were coming from.

I love CP. I did a degree with the Open University in the early to mid '90s, and always had exams in October. My tradition was to buy a present for myself on the day the exam finished. In '93, I bought CP, and left it sitting untouched and unheard for two days. The day of the exam, when I was finished I went home, stuck in a casssette into the recorder, put on the headphones and Animate came on.

"That'll do", I thought to myself, and to this day, Animate still sums up that feeling of accomplishment and relief that it did on the day of my '93 economics exam.

BTW - I gotta tell you.... playing Different Stages - Disc I - Tracks 4, 5, then 6 which are Bravado, Animate, then Show Don't Tell -- has got to be a pinnacle for all live albums ever recorded.

Talk about that adrenaline surge!!! WOW. 1022.gif

These guys are just masters. F'ing masters.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 8 2004, 11:36 PM)
BTW - I gotta tell you.... playing Different Stages - Disc I - Tracks 4, 5, then 6 which are Bravado, Animate, then Show Don't Tell -- has got to be a pinnacle for all live albums ever recorded.

Talk about that adrenaline surge!!! WOW. 1022.gif

These guys are just masters. F'ing masters.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

Ironic, that is exactly the CD in my car right now, but my favorite rotation is Dreamline, Bravado, Natural Science, Leave That Thing Alone

Same as Rush In Rio right now smile.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 8 2004, 11:36 PM)

Talk about that adrenaline surge!!! WOW.  1022.gif

These guys are just masters.  F'ing masters.

2.gif  AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  2.gif

yes.gif

And didn't love those songs till I heard them live.......

How much I would pay for an all live VT........... fists crying.gif

I must admit, and I'm probably going to get lynched here, that that is the way I feel about Signals. There's nothing wrong with the songs, just that the production seems to leech most of the energy (and the guitar) away. When they'r played live though...

Archived