E.L.O.

Tick

iv'e been listening to e.l.o. lately, and realizing how great this band was. does anyone else think so ? inquiring ticks want to know.

Believe this or not (some don't) but in the late 70's I saw them play in Detriot. Well about half way through the show all hell broke loose because the tape machine that they were lip syncing too malfunctioned!! No kidding. The place went nuts and they refunded all our money. I assume the band ended up paying for more than that because it was never made public.

True story!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 10 2006, 08:48 PM)
Believe this or not (some don't) but in the late 70's I saw them play in Detriot. Well about half way through the show all hell broke loose because the tape machine that they were lip syncing too malfunctioned!! No kidding. The place went nuts and they refunded all our money. I assume the band ended up paying for more than that because it was never made public.
True story!

ohmy.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 10 2006, 08:48 PM)
True story!

Man, that's a great story! In hindsight, very funny. At the time, I imagine, not so much. wink.gif

ELO has some decent material, nothing I'd consider essential to my music catalog. But Ace Frehley does a kickin' cover version of "Do Ya". yes.gif

Not a huge ELO fan...they have some OK stuff but nothing really great.

Launchpad, that story is hilarious! People who are making a big deal about pop singers doing it now should hear that story...lip synching is nothing new apparently.

ok i can tell your not onboard, but listen, new world record is classic. trust me applaudit.gif

I love ElO ... the album "A New World Record" and out of the blue are GREAT albums ... I have seen them live a few times and they were great, backing track or not ... REMEMBER ... Rush plays to tracks on a few songs and uses triggers for the rest which is basically the same thing.

anyway ... the ring leader, Jeff Lynne, is a musical genius who went on to produce MANY artists of the 80s and 90s ... including the traveling Wilburys of which he was a member.

They were my first ever concert. MSG ,1978. Out of the blue is a classic!

I still remember the ship on the stage.

Turn to Stone...Evil Woman...Fire on High.

John Lennon called them "Son of Beatles".

I like em.

....but they lost me on "Xanadu". dazed025.gif

QUOTE (nebbish @ Jan 11 2006, 03:34 PM)
yes.gif worth getting Out of the Blue  yes.gif

...otherwise get their Greatest Hits (Double CD)...some good stuff there

I agree...what were they thinking with Xanadu  ph34r.gif

They were thinking about getting it on with ONJ drool1.gif rofl3.gif

They were one of my fave bands in 1978/9. I own New World Record on vinyl and Out of the Blue/Discovery on CD.

Some good songs, and I still like to listen to them now and again.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 10 2006, 09:59 PM)
I love ElO ... the album "A New World Record" and out of the blue are GREAT albums ... I have seen them live a few times and they were great, backing track or not ... REMEMBER ... Rush plays to tracks on a few songs and uses triggers for the rest which is basically the same thing.

anyway ... the ring leader, Jeff Lynne, is a musical genius who went on to produce MANY artists of the 80s and 90s ... including the traveling Wilburys of which he was a member.

can you believe a tour was planned in 2001, and was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales, that blew my mind. i really wanted to see these guys ,would have been awesome.

There is a Jeff Lynne-less version of ELO on tour in Britain. They're called ELO2 (probably for legal reasons). Haven't heard any reviews or anything tho. I like there music but one thing that really bothers me is the complete lack of drum rolls. I don't think there is a single one on any of there tunes, may as well have a bloody drum machine.

Big E.L.O. fan! I had always heard 'em and liked 'em, but what got me into them was the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", who used Mr. Blue Sky. I had never heard the song before, and loved it! Actually, just got the greatest hits last week. Very good yes.gif

Another band that passed me by. I think part of the trouble was that i was such a yes/ELP snob when I was a teen in school that we "real" music fans gave them a wide berth seeing as how they had released "singles" ughh.

Saying that we had their greatest hits on iTunes in work recently and I didn't like it much then either.

Archived