Jump to content


Trevor Rabin talks ARW and playing with Geddy


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Trevor mentions Ged at the end of the interview...

http://ultimateclass...interview-2017/

Sponsored Post

#2 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6023 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

I'm seeing ARW for the second time this tour tomorrow evening.  The last show was fantastic and all three members sound great.

I read and interview with Jon and he mentions that ARW are going to record and release new music in 2018.   Should be interesting.

#3 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Seems to be taking a long time but I am looking forward to it. I have seen some YouTube videos and they sound great live.

It was nice to hear Rabin speak highly of Ged.

#4 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

Always thought of Rabin as the guy who turned Yes into "Whatever" . . . but I do like a lot of the tunes he wrote or co-wrote.

#5 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 26 September 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Always thought of Rabin as the guy who turned Yes into "Whatever" . . . but I do like a lot of the tunes he wrote or co-wrote.

I like all incarnations of Yes so the Howe/Rabin debate was never a problem to me. However I do think now that Squire has passed, ARW is more akin to Yes now for me. The current official Yes means less to me.

#6 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6023 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Big Generator is my favorite Rabin/YES album.   Solid music.

#7 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 791 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

I like that he called Ged's bass playing was like unleashing a wild animal. Rowwwr!

#8 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me.  I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time.  That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays?  To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

#9 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostRelayer2112, on 27 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me.  I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time.  
Many, yes.  The story of the album coming together as a YES effort is interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90125

#10 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostRelayer2112, on 27 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me.  I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time.  That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays?  To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

Yes in general is a strange beast. I think at this juncture most of the guys past and present have a deep respect for the body of work. And Rabin played pre-90125 songs on the tour for that album, so how would this be different?

As for Squire convincing Rabin to join Yes, the group actually started as a project called Cinema. Then the record company and Chris brought Jon Anderson into it and then the idea of resurrecting Yes came into the conversation. I know Rabin resisted it for a long time. He has said it took some time to become comfortable with the idea, not because he did not want to be in Yes, but because he did not want to be seen as the replacement for Steve Howe.

#11 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

View PostWil1972, on 27 September 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 27 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me.  I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time.  That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays?  To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

Yes in general is a strange beast. I think at this juncture most of the guys past and present have a deep respect for the body of work. And Rabin played pre-90125 songs on the tour for that album, so how would this be different?

As for Squire convincing Rabin to join Yes, the group actually started as a project called Cinema. Then the record company and Chris brought Jon Anderson into it and then the idea of resurrecting Yes came into the conversation. I know Rabin resisted it for a long time. He has said it took some time to become comfortable with the idea, not because he did not want to be in Yes, but because he did not want to be seen as the replacement for Steve Howe.

I'm sure it was the "Trevor, you'll save millions of dollars in promoting the new album if you'll just let us release it as Yes." argument. It would have worked on me also.

This many years later, though, I just don't see why he'd still want to play older Yes stuff.  Trevor is a great guitarist in his own way but, to a Steve Howe fan, it's kind of like watching Schroeder from Peanuts try to play Karn Evil 9.

All in all, I'm still going to see ARW tomorrow night.  I've heard that the set list isn't all that interesting, but I'm not going to look ahead of time.  For Trevor's sake, I'm hoping they concentrate on his time period with the band.

#12 Syrinx

Syrinx

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Saw them a couple of weeks ago at Massey Hall in Toronto.  Great show!

#13 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostSyrinx, on 27 September 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Saw them a couple of weeks ago at Massey Hall in Toronto.  Great show!

I heard Jon's voice has been great.  I was impressed with his performance at the HOF induction.

#14 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 27 September 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 27 September 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 27 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me.  I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time.  That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays?  To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

Yes in general is a strange beast. I think at this juncture most of the guys past and present have a deep respect for the body of work. And Rabin played pre-90125 songs on the tour for that album, so how would this be different?

As for Squire convincing Rabin to join Yes, the group actually started as a project called Cinema. Then the record company and Chris brought Jon Anderson into it and then the idea of resurrecting Yes came into the conversation. I know Rabin resisted it for a long time. He has said it took some time to become comfortable with the idea, not because he did not want to be in Yes, but because he did not want to be seen as the replacement for Steve Howe.

I'm sure it was the "Trevor, you'll save millions of dollars in promoting the new album if you'll just let us release it as Yes." argument. It would have worked on me also.

This many years later, though, I just don't see why he'd still want to play older Yes stuff.  Trevor is a great guitarist in his own way but, to a Steve Howe fan, it's kind of like watching Schroeder from Peanuts try to play Karn Evil 9.

All in all, I'm still going to see ARW tomorrow night.  I've heard that the set list isn't all that interesting, but I'm not going to look ahead of time.  For Trevor's sake, I'm hoping they concentrate on his time period with the band.

Howe and Rabin are two different styles. So I think it's unfair to compare them.

#15 clem

clem

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 407 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Any lovers of the Yes album 'Talk' that came out around 1994?  The thing flopped, and I thought it was one of the best things Yes ever did (even from the Howe days).  I don't even think it's in print anywhere.

Looking forward to new ARW music.  When I saw them in concert, I was surprised how much they gelled.  Great show.

Clem

#16 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

View Postclem, on 06 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Any lovers of the Yes album 'Talk' that came out around 1994?  The thing flopped, and I thought it was one of the best things Yes ever did (even from the Howe days).  I don't even think it's in print anywhere.

Looking forward to new ARW music.  When I saw them in concert, I was surprised how much they gelled.  Great show.

Clem

I still have a copy and I like it. It is IMO an extremely uneven album - some really good stuff and some really drab stuff. The Calling, State of Play, Walls and Endless Dream are all really strong. I think it lacks some of Chris' signature bass moments. But I think that is because it was more a Trevor and Jon album. I think I read that Trevor even recorded a lot of the bass - and synths - himself.

#17 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

View Postclem, on 06 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Any lovers of the Yes album 'Talk' that came out around 1994?  The thing flopped, and I thought it was one of the best things Yes ever did (even from the Howe days).  I don't even think it's in print anywhere.

Looking forward to new ARW music.  When I saw them in concert, I was surprised how much they gelled.  Great show.

Clem
  Talk is an Outstanding album.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users