Rate Storm Corrosion

What Do YOU think of it after 1st listen?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Do YOU think of it after 1st listen?

• 1. Awesome
    • 2. Almost Awesome
    • 3. Great
    • 4. Pretty Good
    • 5. Don't really like it.
    • 6. Will never listen to it again.

I have listened to this album several times in its entirety and I can say that many of you metal heads WILL not like this at all. There isn't the slightest bit of metal anywhere.

That said, I think this album is awesome in its own right. There is nothing out there that sounds like this. It is very mellow, haunting and beautifully ambient.

Edited by friendlyfloridian

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 7 2012, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2012, 09:01 PM)
I can't yet, my copy is still in the mail and it's a holiday so no post!

wacko.gif

Yup, mine's out there somewhere, it left the batcave last Friday.

Mine was Thursday according to the email I got from Play.com...

th1245.gif

I gave it an Almost Awesome, could be promoted to full on Awesome with enough time.

I have to say, after seeing the video for Drag Ropes, I wasn't overly impressed. However, after hearing the entire album on a good system (opposed to tiny computer speakers), I've changed my mind completely.

I'm not even sure what you'd call this music, but I like it a lot. There are some incredibly intricate guitar parts throughout. Not sure what else to say about it right now other than it's going to take some time to digest it.

I can't wait to hear it in 5.1. Hope my delivery gets here today!!

I gave it an almost awesome. For what it is, I am overly impressed, but like some, I have to be in the right mood/mindset to listen to it. It's got like a Fall/Winter feeling to me. My only gripe is that when I listened to it, the source I had was a pretty lossy MP3 given by Roadrunner (my Limited Edition just shipped out late last night) as a freebie to those who pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition of the album (sold out), so that doesn't really do the album justice. I'm pretty sure I'll like the album more in 5.1

Maybe I will have to go back and listen again. I just don't see the excitement over droning ambient music. Maybe I need some cool10.gif

I heard a few min from each song and i did not hear one f-n drum beat confused13.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 8 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 8 2012, 02:41 PM)
I heard a few min from each song and i did not hear one f-n drum beat confused13.gif

They warned us.

I know but someone on this forum said that was not true , they would have some drums. Oh well , it does not have to be Heavy but it Has to have Drums biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 8 2012, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 8 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 8 2012, 02:41 PM)

They warned us.

I know but someone on this forum said that was not true , they would have some drums. Oh well , it does not have to be Heavy but it Has to have Drums biggrin.gif

Actually there are drums on one song but it is very strange. It is Gavin and he is freaking pounding the drums for about 1 minute.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2012, 03:16 PM)
Still no album yet...

sad.gif ohmy.gif angry.gif wacko.gif

Update: I've just discovered the Corrosion parcel at the potted plant end of my porch, that postman must have fired it through the letterbox with an air compressor to get it there!

ohmy.gif 1022.gif

I just finally listened to this just and finished a few minutes ago.... and on a good system (albiet a bit old)...

I liked it, it might take a few more spins to get me to love it, but I really enjoyed this CD. There is some very subtle beauty on this record, and some amazing guitar work. "Happy" and "Lock Howl" are two good standouts IMO.

I think it is unfair to categorize this is simply ambient/drone bassed music (al la Bass Communion) because it is much more technical and dynamic than that style of music... If I were to place a label on it , I would almost categorize it as pseudo-krautrock in some ways, far from what you would expect of Wilson/Akerfeldt but still very good.

I will say this of the album however, it is one of the most non-passive albums I have heard in a good long while.. I do the vast majority of my music listening while driving, working, or cooking..etc And hardly ever have time to properly sit down and listen to a CD.. Most of which is not a problem, it may not be of the best quality, but you can enjoy music while in a passive state while driving and still take in the music you are listening to in great extent...... Not this album however.... I cannot really see myself putting this on in the car (maybe if I have a long drive with little traffic ahead of me...lol), or while cooking... "Storm Corrosion" is an album that requires attention by actually sitting down and listening to it properly. Even the two Steven Wilson solo releases I enjoy immensely in a passive state of listening... I don't see the the same applying for the Strom Corrosion CD....not a negative attribute, but just the nature of the beast.

I got my "official" version in the mail on Tuesday (day of release). I was finally able to listen to the 5.1 disc last night. I echo what Owl said about the amazing guitar work. There are some really great guitar passages all over this album. It sounds fantastic in 5.1, I had no doubt about that, considering the artists involved.

I've come a long way since first hearing Drag Ropes in that I feel like I could listen to this album at any time. OK, sure there are times when I crave a good dose of \m/ but this album really stands out from just about any other style of music I've listened to. It seems to defy classification.

I also agree with what Owl said about passive listening (though I did indeed listen to it on the drive to work this morning). It does require your full attention to take it all in. I think, once the music has sunk in a bit, it'll make fine background music to mundane tasks (driving, cooking, sitting at your desk at work...). However, to be fully appreciated, it needs that extra level of attention.

I listened to this album for a second time in my car on my commute home.

I think it's a beautiful record yet I wanted to blow my head off too.

The haunting guitars remind me of typical Opeth.

I think Steven and Mikel are a good combo.

The two bonus tracks on the Japanese release are demos.

Looking forward to hearing them.

I think the album is excellent. I don't think of it as mellow or ambient, it's powerful. I don't notice the almost total absence of drums and therefore I don't miss them. It's hard to see how they'd fit with this music. My only complaint is there's not enough Akefeldt vocals.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2012, 01:44 PM)
I think the album is excellent. I don't think of it as mellow or ambient, it's powerful. I don't notice the almost total absence of drums and therefore I don't miss them. It's hard to see how they'd fit with this music. My only complaint is there's not enough Akefeldt vocals.

I agree with you on all counts here TD!

I believe I'll upgrade my initial vote!

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 11 2012, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2012, 01:44 PM)

I agree with you on all counts here TD!

I believe I'll upgrade my initial vote!

trink39.gif

Favourite song at the moment is Drag Ropes. I suppose I'd like this album better if it continued more in this vein, but it mostly goes off on more of a Wilson-dominated direction. I'm not complaining though that direction is really good too, and it's still early days in my appraisal yet anyway.

trink38.gif