Epica

We're obviously polar opposites. Which is cool. Just don't get me started on Sonata Arctica :P :LOL:

No need the great thing about music is always the different reactions!

Besides I think Epica are finally clicking with me. This new album might just be the best thing they have ever done!

• Like 2

They are a multi layered band. So I can see why someone who likes other bands in this genre but has a hard time getting into them. They give you a lot to take in with their albums.

My issue is I don't like Simone's voice and I can't stand the terrible growls either...

What don't you like about her voice?

Are you just upset because she's a better singer than that Cristina Scabbia you're always going on about :cool:

They are a multi layered band. So I can see why someone who likes other bands in this genre but has a hard time getting into them. They give you a lot to take in with their albums.

My issue is I don't like Simone's voice and I can't stand the terrible growls either...

Are you just upset because she's a better singer than that Cristina Scabbia you're always going on about :cool:

I don't think that's fair.

I just don't enjoy her voice and it's that simple. No big deal.

Geez I respect this band and I will praise them where I see fit. No need to compare and attack. We can discuss women in metal without having to constantly pit them against each other.

Geez I respect this band and I will praise them where I see fit. No need to compare and attack. We can discuss women in metal without having to constantly pit them against each other.

Did you notice the smiley there?

I was joking.

Did you notice the smiley there?

I was joking.

Sorry I posted in a bad mood haha

Also Cri and Simone are now both redheads!

In the grand scheme of things, who f^&%*ing cares what any of thus think? :codger:

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, who f^&%*ing cares what any of thus think? :codger:

Then let's get off the forum and just live in our own space

There is an energy to this album that is relentless and exciting.

I've never been this taken by an Epica album ever!

I see me falling hard...often it takes just one album with me to click with a band. After this I may be hearing the rest in a new light!

• Like 1

They've wasted no time playing a bunch a new songs already.

http://www.setlist.f...s-3bfdc4b8.html

Here's a metal band that gets it. There's nothing I hate more than when a band has a quality new release and they play little to nothing off it.

You noticed this too?

But to be fair fans of symphonic metal tend to really embrace the new. I've noticed most of these bands have fans lap up everything new.

It's trickier with thrash and other styles. Well I don't see why it is but it seems to be for the bands.

GIMME THE NEW!!

Then let's get off the forum and just live in our own space

You start. We're circle back here in say, 12 years?

... okay, he's gone. You can go back to praising your crummy band without his bitching.

You're welcome.

:outtahere:

They've wasted no time playing a bunch a new songs already.

http://www.setlist.f...s-3bfdc4b8.html

Here's a metal band that gets it. There's nothing I hate more than when a band has a quality new release and they play little to nothing off it.

This guy's got some reasonable videos from the show:

The new material got its live debut last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeg1Rb6YieI

I'm going to buy The Holographic Principle.

Good grief they done good on this new release! I even found myself really loving the vocals!

This is what I've been waiting for since the moment I saw an advert for The Divine Conspiracy in, I think, 2006.

Really enjoying the new release...one of the most exciting new releases of the last two years!

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I still haven't figured out where it stands. There are a couple of tracks that I'm not so keen on at the moment, so I think it's fitting in as my third favourite behind Design Your Universe and The Quantum Enigma. That might change down the line if I'm still listening to it as much in a year or two as I am to those two. The London gig might have an effect, too.

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I still haven't figured out where it stands. There are a couple of tracks that I'm not so keen on at the moment, so I think it's fitting in as my third favourite behind Design Your Universe and The Quantum Enigma. That might change down the line if I'm still listening to it as much in a year or two as I am to those two. The London gig might have an effect, too.

I'm gonna revisit those two.

Which album had the Kingdom Of Heaven songs? I love those tracks.

Ha, that's not so easy to answer. Kingdom of Heaven the song itself is on Design Your Universe, but it's Part V of 'A New Age Dawns', so if you mean the previous parts as well it goes:

Consign to Oblivion:

Hunab K'u (A New Age Dawns Prologue)

The Last Crusade (A New Age Dawns Pt 1)

Mother Of Light (A New Age Dawns Pt 2)

Consign To Oblivion (A New Age Dawns Pt 3)

Design Your Universe:

Resign to Surrender (A New Age Dawns Pt 4)

Kingdom of Heaven (A New Age Dawns Pt 5)

Design Your Universe (A New Age Dawns Pt 6)

Ha, that's not so easy to answer. Kingdom of Heaven the song itself is on Design Your Universe, but it's Part V of 'A New Age Dawns', so if you mean the previous parts as well it goes:

Consign to Oblivion:

Hunab K'u (A New Age Dawns Prologue)

The Last Crusade (A New Age Dawns Pt 1)

Mother Of Light (A New Age Dawns Pt 2)

Consign To Oblivion (A New Age Dawns Pt 3)

Design Your Universe:

Resign to Surrender (A New Age Dawns Pt 4)

Kingdom of Heaven (A New Age Dawns Pt 5)

Design Your Universe (A New Age Dawns Pt 6)

Oh wow haha!

I am pretty certain I'm referring to the tracks off Design Your Universe!

I'm still not jumping on this band right now. I'm going to live with this album a while and see if my enthusiasm remains.

I only buy albums now that I know I am going to enjoy for a long time. But I did really enjoy this last night.

Wise decision.

I will say though that Epica are definitely one of the greatest bands in this genre. Flip me they handle so many diverse elements really well...it should be a disorganised mess but I am hearing so much talent. Better than After Forever.

I will say they are at times better than Nightwish, especially when tackling the more metal side. But I don't have any of of emotional connection.

And Simone has a voice which is starting to endear itself to me. A lot of these lyrics are mind blowing!

Definitely appreciating them a heck of a lot more than ever before.

Even if they don't become anything particularly special, I enjoy more about them than I realised.

Agreed on the metal aspect. I think it's because they are to the heavier side that I like them more than, say, Nightwish (who I also like, but not quite as much). Probably because they were the first band I really listened to in the genre, as well.