The ANTI Toto Thread

I have some wonderful chats with the guys at Rock Candy records. They really know their stuff and they love to share what they know! Excellent label. The best in my opinion.

I will start with the Toto albums. Possibly Turn Back as that has the worst sound of my CD's. It's a great album too!

Chats?

I emailed them and asked for info and to tell them how much I loved the essays. They recommended me other bands some not on the label. Really nice guys!

Yeah which ones?

Was it Dante Bonutto or Derek Oliver?

Derek Oliver. My Strangeways Native Sons features his 5K rated Kerrang review and I love his passion and he is an awesome guy! It's been a while since I looked at the website.

They have some new ones coming out in July. Not ones I'm interested in but you might be.

Ooh OK I will take a look!

I have used the website as a sort of wishlist. I have yet to listen to anything the label has chosen and not like it.

Angel was another awesome discovery through them. And Starcastle.

I might need to get the debut Danger, Danger album. It features the mighty Andy Timmons. :notworthy:

That was one of the first albums that caught my eye! The artwork grabbed me...I read the write up and...erm...I found a mediafire download.

Yes I must get that album! I like the next couple they did as well (YouTube was to thank for that!).

Were they well known back in the eighties?

I vaguely heard of them but no not really, they were eclipsed by bands like GnR and Winger and Poison and even White Lion and Great White.

I was raised on grunge and never thought that era could be taken seriously.

Thank goodness I joined this forum I like all I have heard of these bands! Not a big GnR fan though.

I never liked grunge. When the grunge thing was happening I was still into the same bands and for a while in the 90's I became a jazz snob.

It was all I knew for like ten years from the age of like four to fourteen. By the time I was 12 I thought Nirvana invented rock and by 15 I was embarrassed by my stupidity.

Again I grew up in a posh area so my liking grunge at all was the equivalent of an earl nineties church burning black metalled in an Amish community.

You should have seen my neighbours faces the first time I played Ghost Reveries...

Anyway I digress. I am glad this forum introduced me to eighties metal beyond thrash and Maiden. It's still fascinating me! It's like a whole other world never mind decade, at least to me haha

What music do posh kids listen to?

I have some wonderful chats with the guys at Rock Candy records. They really know their stuff and they love to share what they know! Excellent label. The best in my opinion.

I will start with the Toto albums. Possibly Turn Back as that has the worst sound of my CD's. It's a great album too!

Chats?

I emailed them and asked for info and to tell them how much I loved the essays. They recommended me other bands some not on the label. Really nice guys!

Yeah which ones?

Derek Oliver. My Strangeways Native Sons features his 5K rated Kerrang review and I love his passion and he is an awesome guy! It's been a while since I looked at the website.

They have some new ones coming out in July. Not ones I'm interested in but you might be.

I have used the website as a sort of wishlist. I have yet to listen to anything the label has chosen and not like it.

I might need to get the debut Danger, Danger album. It features the mighty Andy Timmons. :notworthy:

That was one of the first albums that caught my eye! The artwork grabbed me...I read the write up and...erm...I found a mediafire download.

Yes I must get that album! I like the next couple they did as well (YouTube was to thank for that!).

I vaguely heard of them but no not really, they were eclipsed by bands like GnR and Winger and Poison and even White Lion and Great White.

Thank goodness I joined this forum I like all I have heard of these bands! Not a big GnR fan though.

I never liked grunge. When the grunge thing was happening I was still into the same bands and for a while in the 90's I became a jazz snob.

It was all I knew for like ten years from the age of like four to fourteen. By the time I was 12 I thought Nirvana invented rock and by 15 I was embarrassed by my stupidity.

Again I grew up in a posh area so my liking grunge at all was the equivalent of an earl nineties church burning black metalled in an Amish community.

You should have seen my neighbours faces the first time I played Ghost Reveries...

Anyway I digress. I am glad this forum introduced me to eighties metal beyond thrash and Maiden. It's still fascinating me! It's like a whole other world never mind decade, at least to me haha

Rock equals Stone Roses at its heaviest. Jazz is strictly Nora Jones. Classical music starts and ends with Classic FM. Metal?

Closest you will get to metal is the odd Linkin Park radio hit.

Majority of it is white indie rock sung by Oxford toffs and rich kids.

I was forever stuck in that zone until I ditched the fancy kids for the metal heads in my year.

It was bleak. Was a very formal upbringing but it took its toll on me...very rigid and if you rebel it's not easy

Edited by Segue Myles

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

Rock equals Stone Roses at its heaviest. Jazz is strictly Nora Jones. Classical music starts and ends with Classic FM. Metal?

I was forever stuck in that zone until I ditched the fancy kids for the metal heads in my year

What does your mum think?

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

I was forever stuck in that zone until I ditched the fancy kids for the metal heads in my year

Both my mum n dad were horrified until they started to hear the playing.

They actually couldn't believe bands like Opeth and Mastodon could sound so intricate and heavy. So in the end I won them over.

It's why my taste is all over the place...honestly Bon Jovi is like Ozzy Osbourne to my peers around here (with exceptions of my closest friends)

Edited by Segue Myles

Boy, this thread deviated from the norm.

Oh, and Toto rules. Suck it, OP!

Discussing toto remasters lead to eighties rock and metal...fairly fluid!

Toto does rule!

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

They actually couldn't believe bands like Opeth and Mastodon could sound so intricate and heavy. So in the end I won them over.

It's why my taste is all over the place...honestly Bon Jovi is like Ozzy Osbourne to my peers around here (with exceptions of my closest friends)

Do the posh girls dig the rough headbangers?

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

The posh girls dig One Direction. Amd considering my upbringing it is them I most closely resemble...

I've said before I have been to metal gigs looking like I just walked out a pop video shoot...it's been awkward haha (I was not particularly welcome when I saw Opeth live...in fact despite the fact I was with my long term girlfriend I had homophobic abuse hurled at me).

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

The posh girls dig One Direction. Amd considering my upbringing it is them I most closely resemble...

I've said before I have been to metal gigs looking like I just walked out a pop video shoot...it's been awkward haha (I was not particularly welcome when I saw Opeth live...in fact despite the fact I was with my long term girlfriend I had homophobic abuse hurled at me).

:LOL:

You're probably used to that though! :P

• Like 1

Chats?

Yeah which ones?

:LOL:

You're probably used to that though! :P

Erm...

Not really... (says a lot about the guys in my area).

Seriously I love so much about my life but being born into a fancy family has made me softer than melted butter.

OK they aren't ultra fancy. But...well...yeaaah...

It's not just your upbringing that makes you what you are it's what's in your heart and your gut.

Yeah exactly.

I'm messed up in many ways and it's all down to music!

It's been great!

It's not just your upbringing that makes you what you are it's what's in your heart and your gut.

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

What did your girlfriend think of Opeth?

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

She was hugely into them. Arch Enemy supported and we both loved Carcass, At The Gates and the gig was just fantastic! We were together for a long time.

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

She was hugely into them. Arch Enemy supported and we both loved Carcass, At The Gates and the gig was just fantastic! We were together for a long time.

She's posh isn't she?? Shouldn't she be into Nora Jones??

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

Nah she was one of the kids I fell in with.

And they were the friends my fancy family approved of the most haha!

We nearly got married but life got in the way. We are still close now. And love the same stuff!

She's into prog now as well because of me haha

My next girlfriend for three years tried to make me an indie boy...nearly married her too.

We'll this thread is like truth serum tonight.

You are a good therapist haha

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

We nearly got married but life got in the way. We are still close now. And love the same stuff!

My next girlfriend for three years tried to make me an indie boy...nearly married her too.

You're only about 15 aren't you? What age were you getting married at 12??

Yeah exactly.

It's been great!

You're only about 15 aren't you? What age were you getting married at 12??

I am 25.

And after two big relationships single for three years.

And after two big relationships single for three years.

Voluntarily?

Nah my health went crazy.

Let's get back to the TOTO ROCK CANDYS!!!!!!!!

Disappointed The Seventh One doesn't have the self titled bonus track.

That's my only caveat!