Stupidest things about "The Force Awakens" (SPOILERS!)

antiquark

AND ANOTHER THING... when Han tried Chewie's bowcaster, why did he act all surprised? Did he not ever use it once in the DECADES that they had been traveling together?

It just shows that the writers didn't really care about the original trilogy, if they think that Han and Chewie are just mere acquaintances,

Yes, he explicitly says that he's never tried it before. If you think that this shows a lack of care for the OT, you don't care about it yourself and are just looking for excuses to spread your hateraid.

AND ANOTHER THING... when Han tried Chewie's bowcaster, why did he act all surprised? Did he not ever use it once in the DECADES that they had been traveling together?

It just shows that the writers didn't really care about the original trilogy, if they think that Han and Chewie are just mere acquaintances,

Yes, he explicitly says that he's never tried it before. If you think that this shows a lack of care for the OT, you don't care about it yourself and are just looking for excuses to spread your hateraid.

Star Wars' Plot = implausible, but not impossible. Plausibility is the key to "verisimiltude". You can ask an audience to suspend disbelief and accept an alternate reality, but within that reality things should remain plausible. That's where Star Wars often falls short, I think. Most fantasy, actually, as it's hard to pull of that kind of consistency. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Star Wars' Plot = implausible, but not impossible. Plausibility is the key to "verisimiltude". You can ask an audience to suspend disbelief and accept an alternate reality, but within that reality things should remain plausible. That's where Star Wars often falls short, I think. Most fantasy, actually, as it's hard to pull of that kind of consistency.

The plots of 4 and 5 were implausible but largely internally coherent. 6 moved to the realm of impossible but was still close enough to be greatly enjoyed. The prequels made the story muddy and impossible. 7 is far more like 4 and 5 than the others.

• Like 1

The Force is stupid.

Well, if it does/did exist, how would people interact with it in a plausible way...and does Star Wars pull that off consistently?

(spoiler warning)

:no:

Star Wars' Plot = implausible, but not impossible. Plausibility is the key to "verisimiltude". You can ask an audience to suspend disbelief and accept an alternate reality, but within that reality things should remain plausible. That's where Star Wars often falls short, I think. Most fantasy, actually, as it's hard to pull of that kind of consistency.

The plots of 4 and 5 were implausible but largely internally coherent. 6 moved to the realm of impossible but was still close enough to be greatly enjoyed. The prequels made the story muddy and impossible. 7 is far more like 4 and 5 than the others.

I thought the original was fairly plausible. The Force was used minimally, and simply. It worked. But the more seriously the franchise started to take itself - Lucas in particular - the more ludicrous it became. Still entertaining, but a mess in terms of story line.

ETA: I think VII is pretty good entertainment.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I always thought "The Force" was in reference to "God" hence Star Wars is very Christian.

Everything is such a cliche. I don't think it's a big deal. Good VS. Evil. The Light VS. The Dark. Jedi VS Sith. God VS The Devil. The Devil used to be an Angel from the Heavens above.

Anakin was good and then went to the Dark Side. There is a major connection here at all levels. Perhaps the Devil still has some good in him.

I love Black Sabbath and Stryper.

So "STICK IT" Bible Thumpers!

Signed,

Great White

• Like 1

I always thought "The Force" was in reference to "God" hence Star Wars is very Christian.

Everything is such a cliche. I don't think it's a big deal. Good VS. Evil. The Light VS. The Dark. Jedi VS Sith. God VS The Devil. The Devil used to be an Angel from the Heavens above.

Anakin was good and then went to the Dark Side. There is a major connection here at all levels. Perhaps the Devil still has some good in him.

Signed,

Great White

It's just as good as a metaphor for God as a metaphor for a godless super natural power. It's great because it's simple and works within the confines of an exciting, suspenful, and humorous world/galaxy.

• Like 1

Signed,

Great White

It's just as good as a metaphor for God as a metaphor for a godless super natural power. It's great because it's simple and works within the confines of an exciting, suspenful, and humorous world/galaxy.

Dude!

YOU NAILED IT!

Funny, internet talk about "God."

Anyway, re The Force, I read somewhere that Alec Guinness initially thought it a pleasant/quaint metaphor, if not exactly for God (Contingent/dependent vs Non-Contingent/self-subsistent Being), at least for a spiritual dimension or reality, despite its obvious (ontological) Dualism (the earliest "heresy" with which Judaism and orthodox Christianity contended, and still alive and well; safe to say most people tend to think in dualistic terms). Then Lucas said he wanted to start his own religion and Guinness, the devout R. Catholic, said that if he continues with that nonsense he will cut all ties with the work so Lucas decided not to pull his own L. Ron Hubbard. Thank "God."

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Funny, internet talk about "God."

Anyway, re The Force, I read somewhere that Alec Guinness initially thought it a pleasant/quaint metaphor, if not exactly for God (Contingent/dependent vs Non-Contingent/self-subsistent Being), at least for a spiritual dimension or reality, despite its obvious (ontological) Dualism (the earliest "heresy" with which Judaism and orthodox Christianity contended, and still alive and well; safe to say most people tend to think in dualistic terms). Then Lucas said he wanted to start his own religion and Guinness, the devout R. Catholic, said that if he continues with that nonsense he will cut all ties with the work so Lucas decided not to pull his own L. Ron Hubbard. Thank "God."

Well stated!

Signed,

Great White

Your typical hardcore Christian is not going to see these parallels IMO. The force is like magic and uses powers and forces that traditional Christians will find a chord in spiritism and demonism and won't accept that their can be good magic.

• Like 1

It's impossible to have a reasonable conversation with some of the force awakens fans. Other people not liking everything about it CAN'T take away from your enjoyment if you don't let it. Finn is established in the movie as a janitor who went into action once and couldn't do the job he was trained for. This is from the movie and is not some theory of what might be true.

Rey might be special. I like the character. Luke needed training to be as effective as she is in combat and Anakin was one of the strongest with the force and couldnt even defeat obi wan. This means they a re setting it up that an untrained Rey is more powerful than Anakin or Luke. Why shouldn't this be questioned now by fans of the series?

Your first paragraph is false and the second doesn't make any sense at all.

For the first paragraph to be false it can never be true. Which means you're saying that all fans of the force awakens are reasonable which I doubt. You're also saying it is possible for another persons issues with the movie to cause another to have less enjoyment. Clearly you are wrong.

The second paragraph simply states that there is enough differences between what was established in the original series and this movie regarding the training of force users for fans to question why this is the case. Did that synopsis help you at all to make sense?

Well thought out replies receive non-condescending answers while you can see what condescending replies get.

It's impossible to have a reasonable conversation with some of the force awakens fans. Other people not liking everything about it CAN'T take away from your enjoyment if you don't let it. Finn is established in the movie as a janitor who went into action once and couldn't do the job he was trained for. This is from the movie and is not some theory of what might be true.

Rey might be special. I like the character. Luke needed training to be as effective as she is in combat and Anakin was one of the strongest with the force and couldnt even defeat obi wan. This means they a re setting it up that an untrained Rey is more powerful than Anakin or Luke. Why shouldn't this be questioned now by fans of the series?

Your first paragraph is false and the second doesn't make any sense at all.

For the first paragraph to be false it can never be true. Which means you're saying that all fans of the force awakens are reasonable which I doubt. You're also saying it is possible for another persons issues with the movie to cause another to have less enjoyment. Clearly you are wrong.

The second paragraph simply states that there is enough differences between what was established in the original series and this movie regarding the training of force users for fans to question why this is the case. Did that synopsis help you at all to make sense?

Well thought out replies receive non-condescending answers while you can see what condescending replies get.

You said Finn is established as a janitor who went into action once and couldn't do the job he was trained for. This is false.

Your second paragraph doesn't make sense because you jump to extreme positions with very little to back it up and a lot which explicitly contradicts it.

Signed,

Great White

Your typical hardcore Christian is not going to see these parallels IMO. The force is like magic and uses powers and forces that traditional Christians will find a chord in spiritism and demonism and won't accept that their can be good magic.

Excellent buddy. I totally get it! BINGO FOR GODO!

Even the kids are mocking the movie now... (see picture)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/9ac536398746b17aa819227887e8616f/tumblr_o0ga6hSG1I1rawlg9o1_400.jpg

:laughing guy:

Even the kids are mocking the movie now... (see picture)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/9ac536398746b17aa819227887e8616f/tumblr_o0ga6hSG1I1rawlg9o1_400.jpg

What makes it worse is that Kylo Ren started off as such a f***ing badass too!!

I mean freezing blaster shots in the air? Knocking dudes out with his mind??

Hopefully Grandmaster CGI Snokes begins his training with "First things first: NEVER take your helmet off again, you puss!"

• Like 1