Songs that turned you onto your favorite bands

ILSnwdog

It's hard to say. The only one that really comes to mind for me is "owner of a lonely heart" by Yes.

Guess it was a different time. This song would have made me run the opposite direction. Always one to skip... :)

I would like to add one to this list since I really haven't...

Van Halen - Runnin' With The Devil

Mind blowing back in 1978 for a pimple faced senior in high school. I ran out and bought it before you could say Dance The Night Away :facepalm:

So then would "Jump" by Van Halen made you jump away from VH if you heard that one first? ;)

Well, I have 3 Van Halen albums. I, II and Women And Children First whatever that means...

Not keen on anything from 1984 onwards, but I don't hate the Hagar albums anymore!

1984 is one of the most disappointing album experiences I have ever had. Expected A LOT from it, but those first few albums...something else entirely!

• Like 2

It's hard to say. The only one that really comes to mind for me is "owner of a lonely heart" by Yes.

Guess it was a different time. This song would have made me run the opposite direction. Always one to skip... :)

Mind blowing back in 1978 for a pimple faced senior in high school. I ran out and bought it before you could say Dance The Night Away :facepalm:

So then would "Jump" by Van Halen made you jump away from VH if you heard that one first? ;)

Well, I have 3 Van Halen albums. I, II and Women And Children First whatever that means...

Not keen on anything from 1984 onwards, but I don't hate the Hagar albums anymore!

1984 is one of the most disappointing album experiences I have ever had. Expected A LOT from it, but those first few albums...something else entirely!

I think there is alot of really good mixed in throughout most of their eras but there alot of bad as well. Heck if you listen to VH II there is some handwriting on the wall already. It didn't take long unfortunately....
  • Like 1

I think there is alot of really good mixed in throughout most of their eras but there alot of bad as well. Heck if you listen to VH II there is some handwriting on the wall already. It didn't take long unfortunately....

Agreed haha but 1984 is the first album of theirs I just do not like.

I know I love cheese and pop...but it didn't impress me.

You should love that sh*t. Is this Segue and if not what have you done with him?... :)
  • Like 1

You should love that sh*t. Is this Segue and if not what have you done with him?... :)

It is!

But guys around here forget I used to be a big extreme metal, death metal, Goth metal nut! I like more than big hair and big choruses!

I LOVE MEHTAL!!

a lot less than I used too

I was sitting in the back of the Vista Cruiser circa 1975 ( I was 8 ) .. Mom and Dad in the front, and my sisters in the back ..

Mom is going thru the radio stations and pauses on Rock And Roll All Night ..... I immediately loved the song, and when I said LEAVE IT ON LEAVE IT ON, my sis says

"You know, it's that band that wears the makeup"

I had no idea at the time ... little did I realize my life would be forever changed

My older brother brings home Alive! I loved the album but it was Strutter that had me hooked (still love it). I was a Kiss freak for about a year. Did an art class project where I reproduced their first album with seeds and glue. It was good, wish I'd held onto that.

Anyway, they lost me with Rock and Roll Over but I'll always love Alive!

• Like 1

I was sitting in the back of the Vista Cruiser circa 1975 ( I was 8 ) .. Mom and Dad in the front, and my sisters in the back ..

Mom is going thru the radio stations and pauses on Rock And Roll All Night ..... I immediately loved the song, and when I said LEAVE IT ON LEAVE IT ON, my sis says

I had no idea at the time ... little did I realize my life would be forever changed

My older brother brings home Alive! I loved the album but it was Strutter that had me hooked (still love it). I was a Kiss freak for about a year. Did an art class project where I reproduced their first album with seeds and glue. It was good, wish I'd held onto that.

Anyway, they lost me with Rock and Roll Over but I'll always love Alive!

Have you heard this ??

It is the soundboard take from the Alive! recordings

They sound amazing - no piped in crowd noise ... Strutter is fantastic - Ace is on fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwBhWs4C6PI

• Like 1

My top three fav bands:

Queen--Killer Queen (from Guitar Hero) --> Bohemian Rhapsody (from classic rock radio, then YouTube, and finally that magical day when I got their best greatest hits album from my best friend, at which point every song on that album turned me into a humongous Queen fan and the rest became history)

Rush--Closer To The Heart (from my dad's ringtone) --> 2112 (first on Pandora, but quickly followed by purchasing the album on iTunes, soon after which I also bought...) --> the entire Clockwork Angels album (got excited and bought it because it just came out and I had just gotten into Rush, the rest is history)

Muse (this one's less chronological cause I got exposed to a bunch of songs all at once by a kind person on the Internet)--Uprising (guitar hero) --> Time Is Running Out, Survival, Hysteria, Feeling Good, Map Of The Problematique, Stockholm Syndrome (mainly that friend from the interwebs) --> the entire The Resistance album (recommended from that dude online who knew I loved Queen, so I went for it) --> Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station (bought The 2nd Law next) --> New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Micro Cuts (other tracks actually didn't stand out to me at first, which doesn't make a lot of sense concerning Citizen Erased, but obviously I bought Origin of Symmetry next, and having established a love of both old and new Muse, the rest became history)

A few other random instances of this happening with bands/artists I was temporarily infatuated with and still love:

Jimi Hendrix--Star Spangled Banner (Live at Woodstock), All Along The Watchtower, Castles Made Of Sand, Purple Haze, Fire (in roughly chronological order spanning from somewhere over a year or two ago to very recently with those last few and an awesome realization of how epic Jimi is, all from the greatest hits album my friend gave me, now looking into getting some studio albums)

Foo Fighters--These Days (heard on radio, loved it, Dad and I disagreed over how many singers were in the recording, got the album, loved it even more) --> the rest of Wasting Light --> rest is basically history, going something like Monkey Wrench into Learn To Fly into Best Of You into All My Life into The Pretender into My Hero into In Your Honor into No Way Back into (finally) Everlong into the rest and the new album (I wouldn't trust the order of that too much, though it did take me a long while to finally like Everlong more than quite moderately).

Coldplay--light public familiarity with the titles and melodies of the big hits --> The Scientist (Pandora I think) --> Viva La Vida (in my band's pep book) --> a greater focus on learning the hits --> Shiver (guitar hero, just a beautiful song) --> the full A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Mylo Xyloto albums, which I bought simultaneously and became very emotionally attached to, especially the former

Imagine Dragons--Radioactive (public exposure/awesome music video) --> Demons (YouTube) --> It's Time (YouTube) --> Hear Me (iHeart Radio station, in an experiment to decide if I might like a Imagine Dragons or not by making a station for them and paying attention to the deeper cuts) --> Night Visions album (had to had to had to buy it; band had just started to become well known to the general public, was only getting more and more popular, and I wanted desperately to be a part of it before it ended, since bands don't become that big that fast that often, especially not ones that I like)

There are others, but I'll stop now.

"1984 is one of the most disappointing album experiences I have ever had. Expected A LOT from it, but those first few albums...something else entirely!" <<<<< VH

I agree, if 1984 was your first intro to Van Halen,,,,, barf all over the dance floor....... 1 & 2 are the only albums worth the price of them....

Also another sell out band was ZZ TOP..... pre Eliminator is good... after that shit they called music (Eliminator and beyond) more barf on the dance floor......

Haha. You are Hyde from That 70's Show!! I knew it:)

Rush- Subdivisions

Iron Maiden - the Clairvoyant or Wasted Years

Yes- Owner of a Lonely Heart

Elvis Costello - Watching the Detectives

Black Sabbath - WASP:Wall of Sleep/Bassically/NIB

Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man

Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak

Peter Hammill - Disengage (actually a song by Robert Fripp on Exposure but that's what turned me onto him)

It's funny, I first heard about Peter Hammill because of VDGG but I actually had some of his solo stuff before I had anything by the band. For most of the prog stuff I like, since prog isn't really known for their singles let alone hits, it was usually full albums and not songs. For classic rock stuff or just about anything else it's a different story much of the time.
  • Like 1