Hugh Syme tells his 11 favourite album covers

Hemispheres4Echo

I think it's easier just to name the albums as they come to mind, and that they come to mind roughly in the order of most liked to least liked (who, when asked to list their top 10 favorite anything, first thinks of the least favorite things that will be that list? -- I think we tend to think of things we like best and work "down" from there). If they happen to be in somewhat chronological order, that's a pretty cool coincidence.

I think it's easier just to name the albums as they come to mind, and that they come to mind roughly in the order of most liked to least liked (who, when asked to list their top 10 favorite anything, first thinks of the least favorite things that will be that list? -- I think we tend to think of things we like best and work "down" from there). If they happen to be in somewhat chronological order, that's a pretty cool coincidence.

When I rank the albums, I put CoS on top and S&A and CP on bottom and then work from there, and with virtually nothing I rank would the order in which I think of them be my final ranking (music, video games, baseball players, quarterbacks, etc.)

Again, you could be right, and certainly everyone's thought processes are different. It just doesn't seem as believable to me as my theory.

When I rank the albums, I put CoS on top and S&A and CP on bottom and then work from there, and with virtually nothing I rank would the order in which I think of them be my final ranking (music, video games, baseball players, quarterbacks, etc.)

Again, you could be right, and certainly everyone's thought processes are different. It just doesn't seem as believable to me as my theory.

And likewise, my theory is more believable to me. I think he listed them as they came to him. Certainly the AFTK afterthought suggests that that was the case.

When I rank the albums, I put CoS on top and S&A and CP on bottom and then work from there

Let's test that claim. Please list your top 3 Rush albums. :)

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

And likewise, my theory is more believable to me. I think he listed them as they came to him. Certainly the AFTK afterthought suggests that that was the case.

Interesting, the AFTK listing suggests to me the opposite. More like: my best work was from MP on, so I'll go with those. Yes, yes, yes, yes, whoops, forgot one that's a yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes. AFTK doesn't really belong, but it holds a special place in my heart, so I'm going to list it anyway. f**k it. *Send*

I have a hard time believing that he didn't think of either 2112 or PeW (just based on how important those albums are to the public and to the band) and reject them as not being as good as the work that he considers from his best period of output (1981-2012).

Anyway, this is a lot of words on an unimportant point on which we are speaking ignorantly on our opinion of someone else's opinion, so it probably makes sense to end this conversation :D

Edited by LedRush

2112 cover....meh....love the album...but eh?

Permanent Waves...one of my all time favs...

Moving Pictures....just great...iconic...

Farewell to Kings..better than Hemispheres...but I was never freaked by a dudes butt....Id been to museums quite a bit and took it as artistic liberty....now I understand its got some pretense to it...

Roll the Bones...was simply a great cover....much better than Presto which felt like a PW rehash in a weird way....

Grace Under Pressure still love its dystopian theme....still like it better than Windows artwork

Signals...loved it immediately....many in my high school hated it immediately....it was clean and fresh...I see the Twin Peaks reference...or at least David Lynch since Peaks was like 1990....

I still love Exit Stage Left....sure its a mashup...but Rush never before had done that....so it came across as cool...especially at the time...remember buying it at NRM monroeville mall.....

Clockwork Angels and Snakes have better artwork in the lyric books than the front cover itself....Clockwork being by far a better cover though...

HYF...still don't like it...same with "Rush" other than the nostalgic classic font which I do like...but the cover?