Interesting article from a once Rush hater

BloodofTheZodiac

What is it with this never-ending trend of people deluding themselves into believing Rush is an exceptionally hated / underrated rock group?

Does it make Rush fans feel special?

I live in rural north georgia, so even stuff like led zeppelin isn't particularly well-liked by the general public. lynyrd skynyrd, AC/DC, bon jovi, .38 special - these are the groups that "speak" to my friends and neighbors. you know how movies make it seem like everyone in the 70s smoked weed before class and went to black sabbath concerts? talk to the older people around here - "ozzy who?"

and then most of the "serious music fans" in my area are into punk/indie/coffee house shit. to these types of people, rush represents everything wrong with rock music. three guys who aren't from new york who have the nerve to sing about something besides heroin and broken hearts? that's "pretentious." that "lacks soul."

rush still get played on the radio and every so often some older dude will come up and be like, "ah, man, a rush shirt? I saw the power windows tour, man, are those guys still around?" but they're not a particularly well-liked band. probably depends on where you live, who your friends are, etc.

Where I lived, and in my circle of friends, during my teen years in the seventies, they were very popular. I can't honestly remember anyone back then who didn't like them. But...this was the seventies, and I was in my teens... there is quite a bit of time there where the memories are a little fuzzy. Edited by Mr. JD

Changed my mind and didn't read...

I didn't read it either. Who cares?

The title was so over the top and silly and once I scrolled down and saw how long it is I figured I wouldn't bother. I may be bored but I still have my pride... :)

From the article:

I’d seen the newspaper ad for their latest album, “A Farewell to Kings.” I was intrigued by how dangerous the band members looked on the album cover

I lost interest in reading after that

Maybe he was mistakenly thinking of the liner notes. They look pretty damn dangerous in that picture!

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/afarewelltokings-1.jpg

In my high school I only went to for one year in Silver Springs MD I was sort of an outcast till graduation. I kept my love for RUSH to myself besides at that time I had not seen them live as yet. This was 77-1978 and the world of funk music ruled the day so I kind of just blended in with that crowd.