Time Stand Still.. studios the best... hands down

nicky6

I suppose it's the best off of Hold Your Fire, and I like it okay, but Hold Your Fire is my second least favorite album, so that's not saying much. The album is okay, just REALLY boring for me.

I don't understand how anyone can find it boring, there's so much going on in this record both lyrically and musically!

The production is bland, the guitar tone sounds like something out of a 90s jingle. Speaking of the guitar, the idea of guitar in this album is a random chord strum every so often. The songs all sound kind of the same. It's just really boring to me.

Time Stand Still was the first ever Rush song I heard, so it's quite special to me. Aside from that, the song itself is brilliant, I listen to it a lot when I'm out and about. I agree the studio version is perfect, although I am a big fan of the Show of Hands version. I always wondered why Geddy sang the lyric 'I'm not looking back but I want to look around me now' so high when performing it live, when in the studio, it's sung much lower. It would have saved his voice a lot, especially on the Time Machine Tour. He really struggled a bit there, with respect to Ged.

As for Big Generator, being a huge Yes fan, I love this album too. Shoot High, Aim Low is one of my all-time favorite songs by that band. Rabin's guitar solo is majestic.

+1 on Geddy's strange choice of an octave jump there. I never quite understood that, especially given the studio recording doesn't do that.

I don't understand how anyone can find it boring, there's so much going on in this record both lyrically and musically!

The production is bland, the guitar tone sounds like something out of a 90s jingle. Speaking of the guitar, the idea of guitar in this album is a random chord strum every so often. The songs all sound kind of the same. It's just really boring to me.

Your analysis of the guitar playing on HYF couldn't be more wrong.

To me the guitar tone and parts in the synth albums is quite mediocre by Rush standards.

To me the guitar tone and parts in the synth albums is quite mediocre by Rush standards.

That's fine, but that is not at all what you said

Listen to Hemispheres, 2112, Xanadu, etc. Listen to the intricate complex guitar work and creative use of tones. Now go listen to Hold Your Fire. Tell me the guitar in Hold Your Fire can compare to that.

Listen to Hemispheres, 2112, Xanadu, etc. Listen to the intricate complex guitar work and creative use of tones. Now go listen to Hold Your Fire. Tell me the guitar in Hold Your Fire can compare to that.

There's a lot of guitar work from the 70s that is absolutely amazing, but I can honestly say that the guitar work on HYF (or really the whole synth era) features an Alex that has a very thorough understanding of how the instrument operates. Alex has always been a master, but his arpeggiated chord progressions and all-around rhythm guitar playing in the 80s is as inventive as it got in that time. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

There's a lot of guitar work from the 70s that is absolutely amazing, but I can honestly say that the guitar work on HYF (or really the whole synth era) features an Alex that has a very thorough understanding of how the instrument operates. Alex has always been a master, but his arpeggiated chord progressions and all-around rhythm guitar playing in the 80s is as inventive as it got in that time.

I can't see that though. To me, it's limited to a few chord strums. Sure, there's some cool progressions, but it's not nearly enough to match the genius in the Rush prog days. The guitar took side stage in the synth albums. It was kind of in the background. You'd hear a chord strum here and there, but you didn't hear the outstanding riffs and melodies in the 70s and even in later Rush albums.

It would have been cool if they had Aimee Mann on stage singing her part live.

Yeah and Geddy and Aimee could fly around the stage, hooked up to wires :facepalm:

Now THAT is funny. Hope I didn't just wake up the wife and daughter laughing at that one!