The Oldies Thread For TRF Old Timers!

Lorraine

It truly is amazing how many great tunes came out back in the day. :codger:

They will never come along again.

No, they won't. :(

Don't be sad,

We were there! :codger: :7up: :D

What do you think did them in?

My recollection of what did it is that it became really "not cool" to listen to music like that. Big rock bands took over, concert going became the thing to do, and all the "one hit wonders" were relegated to the dust bin. Music that wasn't "heavy" or "thought provoking", or music that couldn't be listened to enhance your drug taking experience, was laughed at.

• Like 1

Don't be sad,

My recollection of what did it is that it became really "not cool" to listen to music like that. Big rock bands took over, concert going became the thing to do, and all the "one hit wonders" were relegated to the dust bin. Music that wasn't "heavy" or "thought provoking", or music that couldn't be listened to enhance your drug taking experience, was laughed at.

Its the cuture,

And the changing times. Its really sad. But thats why we have this thread. To remember how lucky we were. :D

• Like 1

Don't be sad,

I was thinking about this this morning while I was listening to Frank Sinatra. The songs were mid-1950s vintage, and I thought to myself, you know, back during that time, when Sinatra was a heartthrob with young ladies all over the place...young men listened to him, too, and he just oozed cool. And then rock and roll came along- and by the mid-1960s, he played residencies at the Sands, in Vegas...but the music itself had already become a relic. The audiences at his live shows were the folks who were, by then, old enough to have enjoyed his music from the beginning. The young kids, by and large, weren't listening to him anymore.

Same thing happened with the early rock and roll acts, and all of the one hot wonders of the golden age of AM radio. The counterculture changed everything about appreciation of popular music- and also determined what was popular.

I'm young enough that I can look at each era like that as somewhat of a scholar of them. There are certain things about all of them that I love.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Don't be sad,

I was thinking about this this morning while I was listening to Frank Sinatra. The songs were mid-1950s vintage, and I thought to myself, you know, back during that time, when Sinatra was a heartthrob with young ladies all over the place...young men listened to him, too, and he just oozed cool. And then rock and roll came along- and by the mid-1960s, he played residencies at the Sands, in Vegas...but the music itself had already become a relic. The audiences at his live shows were the folks who were, by then, old enough to have enjoyed his music from the beginning. The young kids, by and large, weren't listening to him anymore.

Same thing happened with the early rock and roll acts, and all of the one hot wonders of the golden age of AM radio. The counterculture changed everything about appreciation of popular music- and also determined what was popular.

I'm young enough that I can look at each era like that as somewhat of a scholar of them. There are certain things about all of them that I love.

It's a pity we let ourselves be manipulated like that.