Song Titles

Mr. Not

So few of them are good... Most are self explanatory or asspulls...

Good song titles give you more insight into song's story, gives you a perspective on it which you might not have had otherwise.

My favorite song title is The Mars Volta's "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore"... Not only does it meet the aforementioned requirements, but the title serves as a one-lined poem. Another example I can think of (since it's a song I just listened to) is Nirvana's "About a Girl" - not a great title, but good as there's no lyric within the song that goes "About a Girl" and it does slant your perspective on the song a bit. It's not about a friend, it's about a girl.

While a good song, Alice Cooper's song title "School's Out" sucks, it tells us nothing... But it can be argued that the simpler and more predictable the title the song is the better. You can find it with more ease if you missed the title of it on the radio. (btw, check out the "Soundhound" app if you don't know of it and often wish you "knew the title of that song")

Edited by Mr. Not

Off the top of my head, I think New Town Burnout (by Anima Collective) is a pretty good title to meet your requirements. It gives some perspective into what the song is about and it never is sung in the song.

Another one I really like for a title is Last Night at the Jetty (by Panda Bear). For one thing, it inspired me to look up what a jetty is (its a dock that juts out from land rather and be parallel to it.) The title describes the song perfectly and once again is never sung

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict (Floyd)

I'm The Walrus :smoke:

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1