Steely Dan

Lorraine

Stoopid, not only is it their masterpiece, but it is a high end audio reference album. There is stuff on there that is pure gold for a person with great ears!

Most of their albums qualify for that distinction. My Gaucho DVD-A has seen its fair share of time playing through my studio monitors. It's impeccable.

That's because their producer was the best!

it wasn't so much the producer as it was the Engineer. The Producer gets all the credit for helping them achieve what they wanted to musically, but Roger Nichols just makes everything sound so crystal clear and amazing. Right from the start. Great team.

A lot of people lump production, engineering, recording, mixing, etc. into one general description. I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

Treeduck had me listening to Larry Carlton yesterday. I had never heard of him, but the first song I listened to, I immediately thought to myself how Steely Dan he sounded. Then I found out that he had played on The Royal Scam album.
  • Like 3

Why is this dragging? Doesn't have the oomph like the album cut.

age?

I mostly stick to albums when it comes to nostalgia bands now.

unless there's the rare case of them still having it.

Mick

• Like 1

Due for a Steely Dan marathon. :codger:

Well, maybe not an actual marathon of the kind some of you (looking at you, ReGor and Mick both of whom seem to own every album/cd/dvd in the existence of music :unsure: ) are able to have, but as much of a Dan marathon I can have with what I have. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Treeduck had me listening to Larry Carlton yesterday. I had never heard of him, but the first song I listened to, I immediately thought to myself how Steely Dan he sounded. Then I found out that he had played on The Royal Scam album.

Yep, he's all over that record. His solo on Kid Charlemagne.. Oh my god....

I know that AJA is a towering achivement in music as well as sonic production (and I love it too), but ROYAL SCAM is still my favorite Dan record :wub:

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

Due for a Steely Dan marathon. :codger:

Well, maybe not an actual marathon of the kind some of you (looking at you, ReGor and Mick both of whom seem to own every album/cd/dvd in the existence of music :unsure: ) are able to have, but as much of a Dan marathon I can have with what I have. :)

Well you flatter me. I don't know about EVERY album. just the ones that matter, lol

i'm due For a dan marathon too.

if my friend Segue sees this. you are still dead wrong about this band. This is not opinion anymore bud it's a fact......you are wrong, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Steely Dan slowly moves up my list of all time faves each year... They are definitely top 10 for me. Katy Lied is my favorite album by them. While their two reunion albums have some interesting stuff on them, they are not in the same league as their original run. I would also throw in Fagen's The Nightfly album. Great run of records. Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

Steely Dan slowly moves up my list of all time faves each year... They are definitely top 10 for me. Katy Lied is my favorite album by them. While their two reunion albums have some interesting stuff on them, they are not in the same league as their original run. I would also throw in Fagen's The Nightfly album. Great run of records.

Steely is in my top ten of all time list easily.

the original run they had through Gaucho was pretty special.

The royal scam being my fav

Mick

• Like 3

I like the songs on Gaucho, but I do NOT like the production. It's the first time the Dan used a drum machine/samples... and it just sounds too stiff and sterile.

i always say the drums sound like they're beating on a bucket of mashed potato's, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I like the songs on Gaucho, but I do NOT like the production. It's the first time the Dan used a drum machine/samples... and it just sounds too stiff and sterile.

Actually, I need to revise this... Show Biz Kids uses a tape loop for the rhythm section, at least the drums... but it sounds warmer than "Hey Nineteen", "Time Out of Mind" etc....

• Like 1

It is so hard to say what my favorite album by them is, but I went with Aja. Deacon Blues has always been my favorite song by them, the album just seems so timeless for me I love it.

I know there are some here that don't care for Aja, but I absolutely love it. And I agree about Deacon Blues, the song that contains one of my all-time favorite lyrics:

They got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

It is so hard to say what my favorite album by them is, but I went with Aja. Deacon Blues has always been my favorite song by them, the album just seems so timeless for me I love it.

I know there are some here that don't care for Aja, but I absolutely love it. And I agree about Deacon Blues, the song that contains of my all-time favorite lyrics:

Being from Alabama and a fan of the Crimson Tide, I am partial to that tune as well.

• Like 5

I know there are some here that don't care for Aja, but I absolutely love it. And I agree about Deacon Blues, the song that contains of my all-time favorite lyrics:

i still believe Aja is ever so slightly overhyped. However Deacon Blues is my fav song by the guys.

Mick

• Like 2