Rush didnt start for me until 2112!

nicky6

Does anyone know if all the new 2112 vinyl coming out on March 17 is the Hologram Edition? I was going to pre-order mine from amazon, but they do not mention it is the hologram edition.I am assuming it is, but I want to make sure.

Yes it is. I got an email about it last night.

The first two albums have their moments (the debut especially is good), CoS is a masterful mess (in a good way), 2112 is uneven with the highest of highs, and generously sized lows.

Then we have AFTK, a masterpiece. Perfection. Hems is perhaps superior but it doesn't move me like I feel it should.

Then the eighties arrive with a streak of seven classic albums, that in my opinion are absolute gold.

So from CoS to Presto, we have what I like to think as the greatest album streak in the history of rock and metal.

2112 is great, but CoS is almost its equal.

I like the way you think (well for a bit) If CoS and 2112 were a double album set, and they eliminated I think I'm Going Bald, Lessons, Tears, and Twilight Zone, I think we'd have a winner! hahaha!!!

See my other post about the early stuff...

I have to disagree with your other part, though (just my opinion on it)... I loved up through Moving Pictures...LIKED Signals a lot, and thought GuP was a VERY interesting album...but Power Windows through Roll the Bones really lost me..(Power Windows had moments...HATED HYF except for Turn the Page, Didn't like Presto, and only liked Dreamline on RtB...ok, the Instrumental was good live) I thought they came back with a nice album with Counterparts...and Test for Echo only had Driven that made me go ape sh*t...the rest...eh! (and VT was a nice comeback, thought S&A was amazing, and CA is still growing on me)

I agree with 99% of what you said except if 2112 and CoS were doubles I would keep lessons and the twilight zone. Also you have the same opinions on all their post Mp albums. (:

Does anyone know if all the new 2112 vinyl coming out on March 17 is the Hologram Edition? I was going to pre-order mine from amazon, but they do not mention it is the hologram edition.I am assuming it is, but I want to make sure.

Yes it is. I got an email about it last night.

Thanks!!!

A Show of Hands really did it for me.

I thought nothing could ever surpass Zep and Floyd bur ASOH album really blew my mind. It still does.

Then I discovered the back catalog.

The first two albums have their moments (the debut especially is good), CoS is a masterful mess (in a good way), 2112 is uneven with the highest of highs, and generously sized lows.

Then we have AFTK, a masterpiece. Perfection. Hems is perhaps superior but it doesn't move me like I feel it should.

Then the eighties arrive with a streak of seven classic albums, that in my opinion are absolute gold.

So from CoS to Presto, we have what I like to think as the greatest album streak in the history of rock and metal.

2112 is great, but CoS is almost its equal.

I like the way you think (well for a bit) If CoS and 2112 were a double album set, and they eliminated I think I'm Going Bald, Lessons, Tears, and Twilight Zone, I think we'd have a winner! hahaha!!!

See my other post about the early stuff...

I have to disagree with your other part, though (just my opinion on it)... I loved up through Moving Pictures...LIKED Signals a lot, and thought GuP was a VERY interesting album...but Power Windows through Roll the Bones really lost me..(Power Windows had moments...HATED HYF except for Turn the Page, Didn't like Presto, and only liked Dreamline on RtB...ok, the Instrumental was good live) I thought they came back with a nice album with Counterparts...and Test for Echo only had Driven that made me go ape sh*t...the rest...eh! (and VT was a nice comeback, thought S&A was amazing, and CA is still growing on me)

I agree with 99% of what you said except if 2112 and CoS were doubles I would keep lessons and the twilight zone. Also you have the same opinions on all their post Mp albums. (:

I would never ever eliminate Lessons from anything ever. May be the most underrated song they ever did. Awesome in my view....
  • Like 1

Oh, oh, oh none of side 2 of 2112 should have alterations of any kind. It is perfection as is, mmhmm. Ambassadress out!
  • Like 1

Oh, oh, oh none of side 2 of 2112 should have alterations of any kind. It is perfection as is, mmhmm. Ambassadress out!

:dweez: .... Well played
  • Like 1

AFTK doesn't move me like it should, lol Over a decade and i still feel nothing for it.

Mick

Really? I didn't know that.

I don't understand how one can listen to that album and not be moved, significantly. Even when he is a 30-year OLD man. :LOL:

To each his or her own, though.

• Like 3

Signals for me.

I had heard Rush before then, of course. Grew up in St. Louis. K-SHE played a lot of Rush (Working Man, Fly By Night, Anthem, Bastille Day, 2112, CTTH, LVS, all the MP stuff, etc.), but I never really paid attention.

In January, 1983, though, I was tied to a school shooting. I knew the shooter. His brother was a neighborhood friend. My world turned upside down. I was angry, sad, confused.... lost. I went from being a normal kid to the "friend of that crazy kid". I felt it happen immediately within the social circle... parents in the neighborhood... at local restaurants... everywhere. One day shortly after it, I got annoyed with everything. I just got up and walked out of school. I trudged through the snow and ice down to a large main street a mile or two from school. I walked into a record store. There was a display for Signals. Not entirely sure why, but I felt I needed to buy the album. Trudged all the way home through the snow. Got to my room. Dropped the record on the turntable. Put on some headphones. The opening song, of course, is Subdivisions... I felt so much less alone.... I knew there were others out there who understood... who would not judge... a Rush fan was born.

Middle school and high school were a tough time for me. I was a hellion up until my last year of high school, going through the stages of grief and recovery. I have wonderful parents. I had a couple of great teachers and an assistant principal who I now realize was a very wise, compassionate man and an incredible educator who let me stay involved in various things like sports and other extra-curriculars despite my awful behavior because he knew it kept me at school and within the bounds of people who cared. They all did what they could to help. I eventually healed as best I could in that time. Many of the other kids tied to that tragedy didn't fare as well. I am lucky to have been as successful as I have in life... it could have gone a much different direction.

As cheesy as it is, while I credit my parents and others, I also credit my Rush fandom. After the initial discovery, I went backwards in the catalog and stayed with them forward. The band and the lyrics came to me at a critical juncture in my life. I am very grateful and appreciate everything they have done. If this is indeed the last tour, I won't complain... they gave me more than I can ever express in words.

PS I still have that original copy of Signals. It sat in my classroom when I was a teacher. In my office when I was a principal. Now in my office in the second career. It is my touchstone reminder that you never really truly know a person's story, what they have faced, what they are dealing with.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

^^^This is a very touching story. Thank you very much for sharing it here :). Edited by geddylennon

Although it was not Rush at the time (could easily have been though), music played a similar role in my teen years. I was your typical no-fit outcast with not many friends. Music was something I got into fast and hard from around age 14 on. I was seen around my school almost constantly hooked into a set of cheap headphones and my Discman. It helped me feel connected to some sort of beauty bigger than myself, something that seemed very transcendent. It still does that today, and is why I believe when a band hits a resonating note with me, I latch on swiftly and never let go :). Edited by geddylennon

I listened to their debut album again, and i feel like that album is a little overlooked, its a great debut album.

Didnt start Rush for me, but i think its a very solid album.

Agreed. I also listened to it last week for the first time in quite awhile.

For all the Zeppelin comparisons that first album gets, I have to say...right now I'd rather listen to it than most of Led Zeppelin's albums (maybe except Presence. I LOVE Presence). And I have loved Zeppelin over the years.

But I love Rush more.