No Satellite Kit for Neil This Tour

kevind2112

Not sure if this has been posted already. In this interview with Lorne, he mentions there will be no satellite kit this tour, and the riser will not be rotating. Just thought that was interesting....

http://youtu.be/l5FbN_FhX3M

Wouldn't it be great if he Brought Back his old (Moving Pictures) Drum set with the Chimes and all?

•  
    http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/neil_80s_2.jpg

Yes, it was the original post and what the thread was started for. I agree with you. I hope he brings back all of the acoustic percussion. It would be awesome and it always has sounded better than the electronic stuff.

Not sure if this has been posted already. In this interview with Lorne, he mentions there will be no satellite kit this tour, and the riser will not be rotating. Just thought that was interesting....

http://youtu.be/l5FbN_FhX3M

Wouldn't it be great if he Brought Back his old (Moving Pictures) Drum set with the Chimes and all?

• http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/neil_80s_2.jpg

Yes, it was the original post and what the thread was started for. I agree with you. I hope he brings back all of the acoustic percussion. It would be awesome and it always has sounded better than the electronic stuff.

It would be such a treat to watch him play all those percussion again!

• Like 1

What he ought to do is stop this "no satellite kit" BS and bring back the old Simmons SDSV hexagon pads.

The Simmons pads were hell on elbows! They need to stay in the archives. V-drums (which he still has in his kit) are much more user friendly.

I have heard that several drummers from New Wave bands do suffer from arthritis due to those pads....And it really is a shame, the Simmons looked the coolest, and they had an absolutely thunderous sound. I really do think that Guitar Center/Simmons really should look into making a Simmons SDSV reissue with better material, totally digital and programmable so you can make it sound like rock drums, jazz drums, or orchestral drum corps sounds, and of course you have the option to use the original famous Simmons fake drum sounds, the "DZZSH, DZZSH" sound.

What he ought to do is stop this "no satellite kit" BS and bring back the old Simmons SDSV hexagon pads.

The Simmons pads were hell on elbows! They need to stay in the archives. V-drums (which he still has in his kit) are much more user friendly.

Absolutely, the Simmons pads may have looked cool, but they were horrible to play. Hard rubber with no give, they do a hell of a job on your wrists and elbows. I'm using Alesis pads with real heads on them. SOOOO much better. Plus, the controller has some old school Simmons samples in it, so I can still recreate all those cool sounds!

Also, If anything, they should re-issue them just for nostalgic value. I mean, at least when I picture electronic drums in my head, the first thing that comes to my mind is these mo'fo's right here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Simmons_SDS_5_Electric_Drum,_Deutsches_Museum.jpg

The riser looks like the same size as previous tours, not enough my space to accommodate any additional percussion instruments IMHO. I think Neil's going to finish his RUSH career BUDDY RICH STYLE.

I think its awesome we consider this kit to be "stripped down" :) :) Buddy Rich's set?

http://www.petersondesign.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/buddy-rich/buddy_rich08.jpg

• Like 1

About time really. Now bring back the double bass drums.

For Neil's application, double bass no longer required. This is all you need:http://www.rainbowguitars.com/imagesproduct/dw/dwcp9002pc-xl.jpg

• Like 1

As a drummer, double bass pedal is so much easier. It's hard to find the space in a club for a double bass kit. I have a small, 5 piece kit and barely have room to set all that up. The double pedal makes it so much easier - set up, micing, tuning - all in one!

I'm ok with no electronics. Never been a huge fan. They don't have the same feel or sound and I want to hear acoustics! He has pads and triggers, which he can use to make them sample whatever he wants. he's 60 freakin years old! Scaling back isn't a big deal to me. His acoustic setup is exactly what it's been since VT tour.

I can't wait! Wish I could jsutify $1500 for one of those snares! That along with Ludwig's Twisted Salesmen and Black Beauty are my dream snares!

A little buyer's remorse right after I hit order but that quickly passed. I've wanted to get one of his DW snares since they started offering them. I'll just have to decide if I'm actually going to play it once it arrives!

As a drummer, double bass pedal is so much easier. It's hard to find the space in a club for a double bass kit. I have a small, 5 piece kit and barely have room to set all that up. The double pedal makes it so much easier - set up, micing, tuning - all in one!

I'm ok with no electronics. Never been a huge fan. They don't have the same feel or sound and I want to hear acoustics! He has pads and triggers, which he can use to make them sample whatever he wants. he's 60 freakin years old! Scaling back isn't a big deal to me. His acoustic setup is exactly what it's been since VT tour.

I can't wait! Wish I could jsutify $1500 for one of those snares! That along with Ludwig's Twisted Salesmen and Black Beauty are my dream snares!

And also, his electronic drums (at least the Rolands) looked too acoustic. With the Simmons, you had something that looked radical, different, and downright AWESOME.

And also, his electronic drums (at least the Rolands) looked too acoustic. With the Simmons, you had something that looked radical, different, and downright AWESOME.

I get what you're saying, but my preference would be to have something that more resembles an acoustic kit. Pearl actually has something like that now. It's an electronic kit, but if you were to look at it, it had shells that replicated an acoustic kit. I've never been a fan of electric drums. I wouldn't mind having a set to keep at home so I can practice without annoying my family, and then I could keep my acoustic kit set up in our rehearsal space - but that's not gonna happen. That money is going to day care, diapers, and formula - lol

I get what you're saying, but my preference would be to have something that more resembles an acoustic kit. Pearl actually has something like that now. It's an electronic kit, but if you were to look at it, it had shells that replicated an acoustic kit. I've never been a fan of electric drums. I wouldn't mind having a set to keep at home so I can practice without annoying my family, and then I could keep my acoustic kit set up in our rehearsal space - but that's not gonna happen. That money is going to day care, diapers, and formula - lol

I guess when you like other types of music other than rock and metal, you begin to love the sounds of different instruments. I mean, I LOVE 1980s new wave/disco music which is why I adore the famous "DZZSH" tom-tom sound.

I guess when you like other types of music other than rock and metal, you begin to love the sounds of different instruments. I mean, I LOVE 1980s new wave/disco music which is why I adore the famous "DZZSH" tom-tom sound.

You make a great point. And I like all types of music - HUGE fan of the 80's stuff (as cheesy as it is), and not a huge metal fan (I dont' consider the hair band stuff really as metal - which I like a lot), but that's what a couple of pads and triggers could replicate. Nothing better than turning on my ipod and having a Gene Krupa tune followed up with Van Halen, followed by James Taylor, Nelly, Pearl Jam, Bob Marley, Jason Aldean, and Pentatonix (and of course Rush - that goes without saying). I get the appeal of electronic drums - they offer so much in terms of different sounds and unique things they can do. Just not my cup of tea. I prefer the tone of acoustics.