Selling Like Crazy

upstateNYfan

If you're standing next to someone in the aisle, in a 'non' - seat area, you are already breaking the boundaries of the person in the seat to your left/right.

The boundaries are crystal clear at concerts. You stay in your assigned seat. Period. :)

People who push those boundaries are what they are, but to try and justify stretching those boundaries isn't going to wash to any degree. You're breaking the rules and potentially ruffling feathers of fellow patrons.

It's really not rocket science.

And Goose already made his position clear. He said, 'The people who paid for the seats, need to lighten up.'

To which I would reply, the people who didn't pay for those seats, need to mind their manners. Or risk getting tossed out and missing the show entirely. Either I'll move 'em or I'll have security do it. :)

If it seems like I have a thing about moving up front without paying for it, I do. People like that need to hit general admission shows. Shows with reserved seating, you know what you ought to do and should respect protocol to serve the greater good of all.

What ever dude,

Your as pure as the driven snow. Your telling me you have never tried to get a closer view of a concert?

BTW, I have never once had a person give me a hard time about stolling down the aisle just to to get a closer view. Its not like I am wasted drunk off my a** causing trouble and end up in a fight or being thrown out. If security comes up to me and asks me to go to my seat I do.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

If you're standing next to someone in the aisle, in a 'non' - seat area, you are already breaking the boundaries of the person in the seat to your left/right.

The boundaries are crystal clear at concerts. You stay in your assigned seat. Period. :)

People who push those boundaries are what they are, but to try and justify stretching those boundaries isn't going to wash to any degree. You're breaking the rules and potentially ruffling feathers of fellow patrons.

It's really not rocket science.

And Goose already made his position clear. He said, 'The people who paid for the seats, need to lighten up.'

To which I would reply, the people who didn't pay for those seats, need to mind their manners. Or risk getting tossed out and missing the show entirely. Either I'll move 'em or I'll have security do it. :)

If it seems like I have a thing about moving up front without paying for it, I do. People like that need to hit general admission shows. Shows with reserved seating, you know what you ought to do and should respect protocol to serve the greater good of all.

What ever dude,

You're as pure as the driven snow. Your telling me you have never tried to get a closer view of a concert?

BTW, I have never once had a person give me a hard time about stolling down the aisle just to to get a closer view. Its not like I am wasted drunk off my a** causing trouble and end up in a fight or being thrown out. If security comes up to me and asks me to go to my seat I do.

That's great, man. So you're a 'nice' section crasher. It still makes you someone who's disrespecting others. Good for you.

Not even once have I tried to crash a section I didn't pay for. If I paid for a seat in the upper bowl or last terrace, I stay there and enjoy the show from afar. Once you pay for your level, that's where you resign yourself and prep yourself to attend in that manner. And me and my buddies, we've done that a million times, and watched from the nosebleeds and drank beer and had a great old time. We didn't try to sneak up. Not because we're pure as the driven snow, LOL. Because we know it ain't right. Other people paid more money - or got luckier - than we were willing or able to do. It was never worth pissing off others who are only there to enjoy quality tunes without interruption nor invasion, and it DEF wasn't worth getting thrown out by security.

Have I tried to get closer at a general admission show? Of course. Every time. Rush ain't one of those shows. Why do you think it is that they never have a GA pit up front?

You're saying you're an aisle person, sure, I know those guys. They try to get away with lax security 'letting it go,' and sometimes it works. That doesn't mean you're not irking people around you just because they don't say anything. And just because you've gotten away with it in the past doesn't mean it's okay.

LOL, some of you seriously need some concert etiquette refreshers, it seems. Go to general admission shows if you want free reign in your position. Otherwise, stay in your seat and think about others before yourself. Duh.

Edited by Van Squalen

Troutman,

Getting away with it does not justify it. You're in someone else's space (assuming seats are sold).

It is not whatever. It's common decency.

Exactly. It's pretty basic morality here. Some people think concerts are a free-for-all no matter what.

They're wrong. Unless they're at Coachella, or some other festival where it literally is a free-for-all.

I can't stand mass GA shows. So I'm always good with reserved seating through and through. It makes for a more flowing and cohesive sensory experience. :)

Edited by Van Squalen

Not at all. The problem is the people who actually paid for seats there.

I agree that the problem is people who paid for those seats. They need to lighten up.

I had front row and some dudes poached the space between. They were cool, I could still see. The only guy that was douchey was a security guy who deliberately stood right in front of me to block my view. I flashed my pass and he moved, but it was still a dick move at that point in the show.

I say uou get the first half of the show in peace, but when the lights go down the second time, there's gotta be leeway. It's rock and roll, after all.

Your 'leeway' is another man's douchebag.

Basically you're saying "I'm too cheap to pony for up front, but I'll gladly try and bully, weasel, or mooch my way up there on somebody else's coattails."

Rock and roll has nothing to do with it. You're either a scab, or you're not.

Seat crashers are the worst kind of concert scum. Worse than stage rushers.

I see it in sporting events quite a bit. Of course in Baseball/Football there are often a lot of empty seats, even when sold out.

Empty seats are different. Squeezing in occupied spaces just because of 'hey, it's a concert, relax' mentality (translation: I'm a cheap f**k and I could give a red rat's ass about respecting your place) invites hostility.

Which I'm happy to reciprocate in fashion accordingly if need be. I always feel sorry for the folks who cave and slide over. It ruins the whole show for folks. :(

I don't believe Goose is implying its ok to be rude and steal a seat. I know I would never do such a thing.

I might want to get a closer look but it would be some thing like walking down the aisle and trying to hang out until security said some thing to me.

It's exactly what he's implying. Seen it thousands of times. If it's not general admission, protocol says you stay where you got your seat.

If it's GA, it's no holds barred and you can try and get as close as you want. If it's not GA, you didn't pay to be up close in a reserved seat, so it's not nice to mooch a free view when all the people in that section paid for that view. Furthermore, you're disrupting those paying folks' concert experience by being where you're not supposed to be. It's distracting, and more often than not, it's rude and presumptuous.

Sigh, I just don't get people who think they can have something for free that others had to purchase. And that they'd show so little respect for fellow concert attendees. Testing the bounds of security or fan tolerance is the same thing as: "I don't care about these other people at the show and how I might interfere with their experience, I'm in this for myself."

So, because you're chump that overpaid for a seat, you should control the entire venue, aisles and stage area included. Man, when did RUSH fans turn into such spoiled :pussy: :pussy: .

When I'm up front and people crash, I give them a high five and keep keepin' on. If they block my view, I give them a tap on the shoulder and they move a bit. I can't believe this is such a big deal for you.

• Like 1

Whether the bank robber screams & yells or says please & thank you; it's still a robbery....

:facepalm:

I guess it's just a matter of a few posts until someone moving forward for the second set is compared to Hitler's Anschluss.

:eyeroll:

• Like 1

Troutman,

Getting away with it does not justify it. You're in someone else's space (assuming seats are sold).

Exactly. It's pretty basic morality here. Some people think concerts are a free-for-all no matter what.

They're wrong. Unless they're at Coachella, or some other festival where it literally is a free-for-all.

I can't stand mass GA shows. So I'm always good with reserved seating through and through. It makes for a more flowing and cohesive sensory experience. :)

Either you two didn't read my posts or your :smoke: :LOL: Did I say I took some ones seat or was a "section crasher"? No I didn't. Your putting every one in the same catagory. There is a big difference between some drunk a**hole trying to move in on some ones seat and me just walking down the aisle to get a closer look. You should lighten up or go to the opera!!

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Whether the bank robber screams & yells or says please & thank you; it's still a robbery....

I guess it's just a matter of a few posts until someone moving forward for the second set is compared to Hitler's Anschluss.

Now you're just being stupid. It's simple really; you take something you didn't pay for, it's stealing.

• Like 1

Now you're just being stupid. It's simple really; you take something you didn't pay for, it's stealing.

I am assuming none of you own any bootlegs, or partake in any form of royalty - free forms of listening to music, for that matter?

Insightfully nuanced take on rock concert etiquette.

Way, way, way back in the day, I used to do some venue security work.

There were a couple of general rules we followed that I think many people would question in the name of "fairness" because they don't necessarily see the bigger picture.

One, hard drugs and booze were confiscated, pot was ignored. The reason? Hard drugs lead to chaos.... EMTs, CPR, and all sorts of stuff. Alcohol not only usually makes people violent, but many of the containers were glass and could easily be converted into a weapon. Oh yeah, the venues also sold beer, so it did not look kindly upon folks sneaking in competition. Pot was ignored for two reasons: it was everywhere, thus nearly impossible to mitigate, and pot generally mellowed the crowd.

Two, seat crashers were ignored so long as they were in an empty seat, not blocking or preventing others from the show, and not causing a scene. The reason? There were too many of them to manage, and to try to manage all of them would have taken our eyes off the other more pressing issues, and possibly led to major safety issues.

In both situations, security was making some decisions based upon the larger, wider safety needs. To quote many cops who I worked with at these venues. Their job is law and order, but at a concert, order always supercedes law.

Are their going to be seat crashers? Yeah, of course. Society is full of people who do such things.

All that said, in the years since, venues have done a much better job of running security. There is noticeably more staff, a much more strict policy on contraband, and overall a much better and safer experience.

Still, I don't imagine the old construct of order over law has changed. Concerts are still, fundamentally, a safety risk. Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

So, because you're chump that overpaid for a seat, you should control the entire venue, aisles and stage area included. Man, when did RUSH fans turn into such spoiled :pussy: :pussy: .

When I'm up front and people crash, I give them a high five and keep keepin' on. If they block my view, I give them a tap on the shoulder and they move a bit. I can't believe this is such a big deal for you.

Who says anything about controlling the venue? It's my seat, not yours. How tough is this to figure out? You don't get to cheat. Sorry. Maybe you should be hitting GA shows, not Rush shows. Maybe Rush is a little too highbrow for scabs.

Scab. :)

It's not anyone else's fault other people make more money than you and you want to ride their coattails without their permission. That's on you. It's just like stealing or shoplifting.

Edited by Van Squalen

Troutman,

Either you two didn't read my posts or your :smoke: :LOL: Did I say I took some ones seat or was a "section crasher"? No I didn't. Your putting every one in the same catagory. There is a big difference between some drunk a**hole trying to move in on some ones seat and me just walking down the aisle to get a closer look. You should lighten up or go to the opera!!

Conversely, maybe you guys should lighten up and go to a Crue show. Maybe Rush is a little too highbrow for you. :)

Walking down the aisle IS crashing a section, smart guy. You're moving to a section you didn't pay for. It's scab behavior. If you don't like the label, don't do the crime.

Yup. It's really not rocket science. It's theft.

But they're justifying it by using the old 'hey man it's a concert lighten up' excuse.

LOL, those guys and gals are a dime a dozen.

Riding someone else's dime and disregarding everyone around you. Awesome etiquette. Good news is, most Rush fans are respectful. But there's always those one or two people at any show, LOL..............

Insightfully nuanced take on rock concert etiquette.

Geez, you must be a kid. Kids are always more prone to that kind of crap. I never was. My crew never was. But we saw it plenty.

Edited by Van Squalen

Not at all. The problem is the people who actually paid for seats there.

I agree that the problem is people who paid for those seats. They need to lighten up.

I had front row and some dudes poached the space between. They were cool, I could still see. The only guy that was douchey was a security guy who deliberately stood right in front of me to block my view. I flashed my pass and he moved, but it was still a dick move at that point in the show.

I say uou get the first half of the show in peace, but when the lights go down the second time, there's gotta be leeway. It's rock and roll, after all.

Your 'leeway' is another man's douchebag.

Basically you're saying "I'm too cheap to pony for up front, but I'll gladly try and bully, weasel, or mooch my way up there on somebody else's coattails."

Rock and roll has nothing to do with it. You're either a scab, or you're not.

Seat crashers are the worst kind of concert scum. Worse than stage rushers.

I see it in sporting events quite a bit. Of course in Baseball/Football there are often a lot of empty seats, even when sold out.

Empty seats are different. Squeezing in occupied spaces just because of 'hey, it's a concert, relax' mentality (translation: I'm a cheap f**k and I could give a red rat's ass about respecting your place) invites hostility.

Which I'm happy to reciprocate in fashion accordingly if need be. I always feel sorry for the folks who cave and slide over. It ruins the whole show for folks. :(

I don't believe Goose is implying its ok to be rude and steal a seat. I know I would never do such a thing.

I might want to get a closer look but it would be some thing like walking down the aisle and trying to hang out until security said some thing to me.

It's exactly what he's implying. Seen it thousands of times. If it's not general admission, protocol says you stay where you got your seat.

If it's GA, it's no holds barred and you can try and get as close as you want. If it's not GA, you didn't pay to be up close in a reserved seat, so it's not nice to mooch a free view when all the people in that section paid for that view. Furthermore, you're disrupting those paying folks' concert experience by being where you're not supposed to be. It's distracting, and more often than not, it's rude and presumptuous.

Sigh, I just don't get people who think they can have something for free that others had to purchase. And that they'd show so little respect for fellow concert attendees. Testing the bounds of security or fan tolerance is the same thing as: "I don't care about these other people at the show and how I might interfere with their experience, I'm in this for myself."

Think about your behavior, Goose. No one wants to "control the entire venue". It's about crowding, barging in and not paying your way.

Yeah, some people simply don't care.

I never understood it, really. It implies either a total lack of empathy, or outright jealousy that other people got luckier or have more money to spend on concert tickets.

Either way, doesn't justify ruining someone else's experience. You don't get to make the decision for them to 'share' their space independently. That's why it's scab behavior. You're making a choice that affects others directly, not just yourself.

• Like 1

Troutman,

Conversely, maybe you guys should lighten up and go to a Crue show. Maybe Rush is a little too highbrow for you. :)

Walking down the aisle IS crashing a section, smart guy. You're moving to a section you didn't pay for. It's scab behavior. If you don't like the label, don't do the crime.

Your insane!! :LOL:

I bet your a fu***** riot to hang out with. ;)

Who said I moved to a section I didn't pay for?

Edited by troutman

I clicked on this thread to see how the venues were selling...

The title read...'Selling like crazy'...

More like...'Crazy is selling fast'...

Get back on topic...lets see if we can actually tell how the venues are selling, with so many tickets in scalper limbo.

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER
  • Like 1

Troutman,

YOU did, dude. And I'm a blast, btw. :)

You said moving up to an aisle position from your original spot is okay.

It's not. You didn't pay for that section (aisle or seat) and you're almost certainly blocking someone's view by standing in the aisle where BEFORE you were there, someone had a less obstructed view.

Geez, you guys aren't very aware of how you might affect others in your 'free reign etiquette.' Let me know next time you're front row so I can come up and stand in front of you for free...and you're all good with it. :)

Troutman,

YOU did, dude. And I'm a blast, btw. :)

You said moving up to an aisle position from your original spot is okay.

It's not. You didn't pay for that section (aisle or seat) and you're almost certainly blocking someone's view by standing in the aisle where BEFORE you were there, someone had a less obstructed view.

Geez, you guys aren't very aware of how you might affect others in your 'free reign etiquette.' Let me know next time you're front row so I can come up and stand in front of you for free...and you're all good with it. :)

Wrong again pal,

Where in any of my posts did I say I would move up to a spot to get a closer view with out going back to my assigned seat.

Your assumptions are baseless!!

Edited by troutman