Kid Gloves vs Karma Chameleon

fraroc

31 members have voted

1. 1. Kid Gloves or Karma Chameleon

• Kid Gloves (Rush)
    • Karma Chameleon (Culture Club)

A lot of the old music loses is hard to appreciate out of its context in time. I think that's why most of the younger members here do not appreciate the Rush of the seventies.

Speaking only for myself, I am grateful that I was on the scene when it was all happening. I wouldn't want to be young today and going through an entire catalog of music from any band at one time.

I think you're right. I kind of wonder how I would feel hearing 2112 or Hemispheres for the first time if I were young now. It really can make a difference hearing something in the context of the time it was released. You have a lot of things to take into consideration. They were young then and you looked at them as a young band, and there were only a few albums yet. It would be hard to listen to them for the first time today knowing what they had done over the 40 years they've been out there and not compare. I guess what I'm saying is that it's one thing to live the evolution of a band, and another to just sit down and listen to it after the fact. If all of that makes sense.

• Like 1

I was in my 20s during the eighties and saw Rush become very 'pop' particularly with HYF but i loved all their eighties albums .GUP and PoW just crapped on a lot of so called 'music'of the time.I remember Rolling Stone raved that PoW was the missing link between the Sex Pistols and Yes(more the later me think).Yes had gone poppish but had still had their foot in prog same as Rush.Kid Gloves is great example of Alex's progressive and forward thinking guitar playing.

A lot of the old music loses is hard to appreciate out of its context in time. I think that's why most of the younger members here do not appreciate the Rush of the seventies.

Speaking only for myself, I am grateful that I was on the scene when it was all happening. I wouldn't want to be young today and going through an entire catalog of music from any band at one time.

I think you're right. I kind of wonder how I would feel hearing 2112 or Hemispheres for the first time if I were young now. It really can make a difference hearing something in the context of the time it was released. You have a lot of things to take into consideration. They were young then and you looked at them as a young band, and there were only a few albums yet. It would be hard to listen to them for the first time today knowing what they had done over the 40 years they've been out there and not compare. I guess what I'm saying is that it's one thing to live the evolution of a band, and another to just sit down and listen to it after the fact. If all of that makes sense.

Yes, it does, because that is what I was trying to say! :D

Yes, it does, because that is what I was trying to say! :D

You're right, it was. I guess I was just typing out my thoughts and came around to the same conclusion. :D

I remember that GUP was the first Rush album that critics actually liked because it had leanings toward these young upstarts of the so called new wave (those haircuts and suits did it).They lost a lot of the Metal crowd though.David Lee Roth said once'that the reason why critics like Elvis Costello is because they look like Elvis Costello'.
  • Like 1

I have followed the evolution of the band from Hemisheres on.I kept on thinking after each album how are they going to top this one.At the time of HYF i thought they had gone as far as they could and feared they would either breakup or start adding members to cope with the bigger sound.Thank heavens for grunge and thrash metal to strip things back a bit(and getting rid of hair metal)

I thought i would never see the day when Culture Club and Rush would be mentioned in the same breath let alone on a Rush forum and poll.Hell back in the day (before internet) you wouldn't find them in the same magazine.
  • Like 1

My three favorite albums of the 80's would probably be Moving Pictures, King Crimson's Absent Lovers (recorded live in 1984, released as an archive release 1997, therefore it's an 80's live album), and GUP. Then again, I wasn't alive in the 80's (or the 90's!), so I can't really speak from the perspective of someone who has...

http://www.topnews.in/files/images/Boy-George_1.preview.jpg

http://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/eyebleach2.jpg

Age was not kind to him....

Ya but funny thing is; it probably doesn't bother him. You have to give him that I guess..