The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath (2008)

12/15 Aberinkula

13/15 Metatron

14/15 Llyena

13/15 Wax Simulacra

15/15 Goliath

10/15 <Tourniquet Man>

12/15 Cavalettas

13/15 Agadez

15/15 *Askepios*

13/15 Ouroboros

11/15 Soothsayer

12/15 Conjugal Burns

Rating: E

A fantastic album to listen through, be warned however: it will only give you a couple of breaks to take a breath during! This album went all out and is very energetic. This is the first album (of the two) Thomas Pridgen drummed on, and his presence is made abundantly clear with his monstrous drumming (especially on the track Cavalettas! What a machine). Some songs may seem like they drag on for too long, but I assure you this is a sophomoric impression ;) the only one which does is Soothsayer.

My rating of the next TMV album: Octahedron (2009)

Edited by Mr. Not

Bruce Springsteen- Tunnel Of Love

1. <Ain't Got You> 12/15

2. Tougher Than The Rest 13/15

3. All That Heaven Will Allow 13/15

4. Spare Parts 13/15

5. Cautious Man 12/15

6. Walk Like A Man 13/15

7. Tunnel Of Love 15/15

8. Two Faces 12/15

9. *Brilliant Disguise* 15/15

10. One Step Up 14/15

11. When You're Alone 14/15

12. Valentine's Day 14/15

Average Rating: 13 (Rating D)

Another spot on average score, this is another Springsteen classic. When everyone expected a soppy set of love songs (Bruce recently married a model/actress), what the world instead got was a divorce album. Because listening to this album, you can tell that if he hasn't divorced yet, he will have to soon!

Brilliant Disguise is, as the title suggests, brilliant. As is the title track. Even the lowest scored songs are essential, and in all honesty, I find this to be the best work of The Boss in the eighties. Love it!

Bruce Springsteen- Human Touch

1. *Human Touch* 14/15

2. Soul Driver 12/15

3. 57 Channels (And Nothing On) 11/15

4. Cross My Heart 14/15

5. Gloria's Eyes 14/15

6. With Every Wish 13/15

7. Roll Of The Dice 12/15

8. <Real World> 11/15

9. All Or Nothin' At All 11/15

10. Man's Job 12/15

11. I Wish I Were Blind 12/15

12. The Long Goodbye 11/15

13. Real Man 13/15

14. Pony Boy 12/15

Average Score: 12 (Rating C)

A lot of fans and critics claim this is the worst of all Springsteen albums, that it is a set of weak, shoddy songs that, together with Lucky Town (released the same day) would have benefited from being cut into one solid album.

To heck with that! If Human Touch and Lucky Town had been released as a double album, it would be my favourite of the two! I really think this album if full of riches, with the least impressive songs still not bad enough to warrant being the bottom of the pile.

This is a very good album, that with a bit more thought could have been great. It is true that this is the first Springsteen release to not have a bona fide top-tier Boss classic. But the title track comes extremely close.

Bruce Springsteen- Lucky Town

1. Better Days 15/15

2. Lucky Town 14/15

3. Local Hero 14/15

4. *If I Should Fall Behind* 15/15

5. Leap Of Faith 14/15

6. The Big Muddy 14/15

7. <Living Proof> 13/15

8. Book Of Dreams 14/15

9. Souls Of The Departed 14/15

10. My Beautiful Reward 15/15

Average Score: 14 (Rating E)

This is more like it! I absolutely LOVE Lucky Town. One of the best collections of songs from The Boss, I think the songwriting on this release is stellar. Better Days, Lucky Town, My Beautiful Reward and The Big Muddy are glorious examples of The Boss having the right to say sacking the E Street Band was only a partial mistake. This album is really, really strong, and I believe it to be right near the top of his great achievements. Sure, it lacks the majesty of Born To Run, but it manages to match the depth of the deeper cuts off The River and is more entertaining on the whole than the splendid Tunnel Of Love.

And those wanting to hear a more refined version of The Boss' music would be wise to look here ahead of Born In The USA. This album lacks the in your face pomp that drives many away from his bigger hits.

And in If I Should Fall Behind, we have one of the greatest love songs ever written. Should have been massive!

Correct average for me once again!

Bruce Springsteen- The Ghost Of Tom Joad

1. *The Ghost Of Tom Joad* 15/15

2. Straight Time 12/15

3. Highway 29 12/15

4. Youngstown 15/15

5. Sinaloa Cowboys 12/15

6. The Line 12/15

7. Balboa Park 12/15

8. Dry Lightning 14/15

9. The New Timer 12/15

10. Across The Border 12/15

11. Galveston Bay 12/15

12. My Best Was Good Enough 14/15

Average Rating: 12 (Rating C)

Don't expect me to join the throng of Springsteen devotees who proclaim this to be a shoddy revisit to the days of Nebraska, or a self-indulgent mess and proof The Boss lost it in the 90's. Because this album stands strong and really, really rewards the patient listener who desires more from a Springsteen album than the Greatest Hits anthems.

A masterful, courageous album, The Ghost Of Tom Joad is essential listening for the Springsteen faithful, and I think it is unfair to compare it to Nebraska. It is very different to that album, and I will be honest and say I play this album more often than that earlier lo-fi cult classic.

Bruce Springsteen- The Rising

1. Lonesome Day 14/15

2. Into The Fire 15/15

3. Waitin' On A Sunny Day 14/15

4. Nothing Man 13/15

5. Countin' On A Miracle 14/15

6. Empty Sky 15/15

7. World's Apart 13/15

8. <Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin)> 11/15

9. Further On (Up The Road) 11/15

10. The Fuse 11/15

11. Mary's Place 12/15

12. *You're Missing* 15/15

13. The Rising 15/15

14. Paradise 14/15

15. My City Of Ruins 15/15

This album is overlong. No, I won't make that complaint about The River or Human Touch (which has one less song than this), but I will for The Rising. because the best songs on this album are hindered by the awkward flow, which we can blame on the middle part of the album. Cut out tracks 8-11, and you would be left with an album verging on Born To Run greatness.

Written (mostly) in the aftermath of 9/11, this album could so easily have been a cheesy cash in on the crowds of people who at that time were in need of a relief. But Springsteen poured his heart and soul into this release, and came up with, if not the solution, a source of comfort for the masses of Springsteen fans who looked to him for empowerment (something they wouldn't have found on the previous four albums).

This is a return to the bombast of his glory days found on such albums as BTR, Darkness and Born In The USA, but with more heart and soul than any of those.

If the album has one issue, besides the weaker tracks, it is the early noughts production values. It sounds overly glossy, when all these songs needeed was the rawness and grit that helped make Darkness the masterpiece that it is.

Sadly, this would prove to be the best sounding Springsteen album of the millennium (but not necessarily his best album), at least until the release of 2012's mega-hit Wrecking Ball.

Edited by Segue Myles

Will skip Seeger Sessions and Devil's And Dust for now, because I am not massively familiar with them...which means a break in my streak of glowing praise!

Bruce Springsteen- Magic

1. Radio Nowhere 15/15

2. You'll Be Coming Home 14/15

3. Livin' In The Future 15/15

4. Your Own Worst Enemy 15/15

5. Gypsy Biker 14/15

6. *Girls In Their Summer Clothes* 15/15

7. I'll Work For Your Love 15/15

8. Magic 14/15

9. Last To Die 15/15

10. Long Walk Home 15/15

11. Devil's Arcade 15/15

12. Terry's Song 15/15

Average Rating: 15 (rounded up from 14.75) (Rating F)

My Rating: 10 (as in Top Ten)

I love this album, which has one flaw that I will get out of the way quickly: it suffers from hideous production, along the lines of Vapor Trails, made all the more unforgivable due to the fact Brendan O'Brien also produced the wonderful (in comparison) sounding The Rising.

Ok, now that is over all I can say is that Magic is a masterpiece. A freakin' huge classic of enormous balls and grace and heart and passion and I freakin' love every second of it.

That is my review. That is all I am going to say on the matter.

(I tried to avoid putting the whole album in italics, although it deserves it!)

ABBA- Ring, Ring

1. *Ring Ring* 13/15

2. Another Town, Another Train 9/15

3. Disillusion 6/15

4. People Need Love 12/15

5. <I Saw It In The Mirror> 2/15

6. Nina Pretty Ballerina 8/15

7. Love Isn't Easy (Bit It Sure Is Hard Enough) 13/15

8. Me And Bobby And Bobby's Brother 3/15

9. He Is Your Brother 12/15

10. She's My Kind Of Girl 3/15

11. I Am Just A Girl 2/15

12. Rock 'n' Roll Band 8/15

Average Rating: 7.5 (Mediocre)

A good little album in its own right, you can definitely hear the bands core influences on this humble little set of songs: Glam rock (Ring Ring), country (Another Town, Another Train), folk (People Need Love, He Is Your Brother), and flirtations with Beach Boys style harmonies throughout.

One thing that really stands out is the dominant use of male vocals, which doesn't really benefit this release at all. I Saw It In The Mirror is one of the worst songs the band ever released, and this is largely due to the fact it isn't a strong song to begin with, but also because the male vocals just don't sound right.

But a few of the songs on this album are staple ABBA favourites: the title track comes shockingly close to matching the best of ABBA's catalogue, and one truly can believe that this is the same group that would go onto rule the music world a few short years later with such famous hits like Dancing Queen or Take A Chance On Me. But it would be a lie to say the rest of the album comes close. None do. But a couple of songs are lovely, if you are a fan of this band. People Need Love, a small European hit, is really sweet, and He Is Your Brother and Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) have terrific hooks and well executed vocals.

This is not a good album overall. But it is a solid start...

Edited by Segue Myles

ABBA- Waterloo

1. Waterloo 12/15

2. <Sitting In The Palmtree> 4/15

3. King Kong Song 4/15

4. Hasta Manana 11/15

5. My Mama Said 13/15

6. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) 15/15

7. Honey, Honey 14/15

8. Watch Out 13/15

9. What About Livingstone? 10/15

10. *Gonna Sing You My Lovesong* 15/15

11. Suzy-Hang-Around 10/15

Average Rating: 11 (Rating B)

A significant step up from the often woefully inept Ring Ring, Waterloo is the album that helped break the band onto the wider scene. Sure, the title track was the bands first smash hit, winning the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest. But if you ask me, it isn't one of the bands strongest hits. It is merely good with an interesting hook.

While nothing here quite matches the worst of Ring Ring, Sitting In A Palmtree and King Kong Song have simply awful lyrics, whilst musically the songs are just bizarre, like a strange mashup of reggae, glam rock and Motown blended to form...crud.

But the second side of the album contains the bands first classic songs, and also two of the bands most underrated. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) is shimmering Europop splendour, and for me the albums shining moment is the early attempt at a power ballad Gonna Sing You My Lovesong, which sets the template for future efforts such as Knowing Me, Knowing You and the criminally underrated One Man, One Woman. But GSYML features a stunning lead vocal from Anni-Frid Lyngstad, and the build up to the final chorus, as predictable as it may be, still has a way of tugging on the heartstrings.

It saddens me that Dance and Lovesong remain largely forgotten. But other "hits" off the album, Honey, Honey and Hasta Manana are worthy of the attention they have received. Elsewhere, the moody rnb swells of My Mama Said impress, and in Watch Out we have ABBA's most impressive stab at rock music, with a classic cheesy blues-metal guitar line. Really fun, and despite the trashy lyrics, the growling male vocals and banshee female backing vocals make it a real scream!

With Waterloo, the ABBA sound is still yet to be perfected, but it is a massive step up from Ring Ring, and a huge leap forward for the band, both artistically and commercially.

Edited by Segue Myles

ABBA- ABBA

1. Mamma Mia 15/15

2. Hey, Hey Helen 12/15

3. Tropical Loveland 11/15

4. SOS 15/15

5. Man In The Middle 9/15

6. Bang-A-Boomerang 12/15

7. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do 11/15

8. <Rock Me> 1/15

9. Intermezzo No. 1 (Instrumental) 13/15

10. *I've Been Waiting For You* 15/15

11. So Long 14/15

Average Rating: 11 (Rating B)

I think this album is wonderful, dragged down by the odd embarrassing stumble in the songwriting department. The bands most recognisable hits here are the irresistibly catchy Mamma Mia and the beautiful SOS. But I've Been Waiting For You is drippy ballad perfection, and So Long is a contagious rocker dominated (at last) by the ladies!

But the album also has some rather heavy low points. The funk pop of Man In The Middle has little going for it (but somehow remains utterly listenable), whilst Rock Me is just a ridiculously crass attempt at sexy man rock swagger. So awful, I actually hate it.

But the worst song lyrically in the bubbly, bright and brilliant Bang-A-Boomerang, so bad it is actually a minor ABBA classic! Want fun pop? Look no further!

ABBA's third album is not quite the classic I would like it to be, but it is the bands finest effort at light rock pop, continuing the sound of the previous two albums whilst pushing the quality levels a lot higher. The choruses, when they are good, are world class. And vocally Agnetha Faltskog smashes it with the gorgeous, gorgeous ballad I've Been Waiting For You and the anthemic SOS. Anni-Frid gets a chance to shine on Tropical Loveland, but this is Agnetha's show!

ABBA emerge as legends, and with this album they proved they were not just another Eurovision one hit wonder, with two top ten UK hits and blooming success in Australia and across the rest of Europe.

Edited by Segue Myles

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)

1. Wildest Dreams 09/15

2. Rainmaker 12/15

3. No More Lies 10/15

4. Montségur 11/15

5. Dance of Death 13/15

6. Gates of Tomorrow 08/15

7. New Frontier 08/15

8. *Paschendale* 15/15

9. Face in the Sand 10/15

10. <Age of Innocence> 08/15

11. Journeyman 11/15

Overall rating: 11

After the great return done with BNW (more on that one later), Dance of Death does not reach the same level of quality in spite of the fact that it has at least one song that is better than any on BNW (Pascendale). A little bit like Fear of the Dark, this album has a few very good to great songs, an amazing one but also some fillers (No More Lies is just a Clansman rip-off, New Frontier is fun because it's the first song ever written by the drummer but still an average song, Age of Innocence even if musically it's not that bad, the lyrics seem to have been written by a 5 year old kid), so in the end, just a nice album if you choose the right songs to listen to but as a whole it's a little bit disappointing.

ABBA- Arrival

1. When I Kissed The Teacher 15/15

2. *Dancing Queen* 15/15

3. My Love, My Life 13/15

4. Dum Dum Diddle 12/15

5. Knowing Me, Knowing You 15/15

6. Money, Money, Money 11/15

7. <That's Me> 10/15

8. Why Did It Have To Be Me? 13/15

9. Tiger 14/15

10. Arrival 15/15

My rating: E

At last ABBA releases a truly great pop album! The amazing this about this album is that even the lesser songs come close to matching the best, with Money, Money, Money being another major worldwide hit, and That's Me floating along wonderfully, bogged down only by the rather mundane lyrics.

But Dancing Queen, When I Kissed The Teacher, Knowing Me, Knowing You and the stunning title track are without a doubt amongst the greatest pop songs in history, and in Dancing Queen you have the single most timeless song in history. Nearly forty years old, it still sounds ahead of its time, whilst many pop hits from five years ago sound like fossils in comparison.

ABBA struck major gold with this album, and whilst it is true I am not completely enthralled with every individual song, as a whole this album is as great as the best of its songs, and no pop music fan should be without this triumph. This is why I disagree with the average score. This is close to being one of my all-time favourite albums.

ABBA- The Album

1. Eagle 15/15

2. Take A Chance On Me 15/15

3. One Man, One Woman 14/15

4. *The Name Of The Game* 15/15

5. Move On 13/15

6. <Hole In Your Soul> 12/15

7. Thank You For The Music 15/15

8. I Wonder (Departure) 14/15

9. I'm A Marionette 14/15

My Rating: E

A genuine classic, this came out the same year as the stunning Fleetwood Mac masterpiece Rumours, and in terms of greatness, this isn't a massive step down from that jewel.

Side one is one of the finest in pop music history, with The Name Of The Game and Eagle benefiting from almost prog levels of complexity. Here, the band takes on an almost American flavour to proceedings, and with the widescreen sheen of the haunting I'm A Marionette and the flirtatious nature of Take A Chance On Me, we have another ABBA album deserving of a place on any music lovers shelf. Sure, the second side doesn't quite live up to the high standards of the first, but Thank You For The Music is a classic singalong whilst Frida Lyngstad once again shines on I Wonder (and she does spiffingly good on the near-perfect One Man, One Woman).

Hole In Your Soul kind of comes across as a cheesy sitcom theme tune, but it has a rocking beat and some truly stratospheric vocals from Agnetha, who shows the most improvement from album to album of any of the band members. The fact she was a major sex symbol and star icon of the seventies should come as no surprise to anybody, and along side her ABBA counterpart Anni-Frid, she is the equal of Stevie Nicks, and if comparing voices alone, both the ABBA ladies could sing Nicks under the table.

This is a phenomenal album, and for side one alone this gets a near perfect score! Again, the average score is not as high as my personal rating. This album is much greater than sum of its parts (noting in particular the slightly shaky second side).

Note my personal rating is higher than the actual average score for the album.

ABBA- Voulez Vous

1. As Good As New 15/15

2. Voulez Vous 15/15

3. I Have A Dream 14/15

4. Angeleyes 15/15

5. The King Has Lost His Crown 14/15

6. <Does Your Mother Know> 11/15

7. *If It Wasn't For The Nights* 15/15

8. Chiquitita 12/15

9. Lovers (Live A Little Longer) 13/15

10. Kisses Of Fire 14/15

Average Rating: 13.8 (Rounded up to 14) (Rating E)

My Rating: F

This is one of my all-time favourite albums, another classic ABBA release, and for me one of only two disco albums worth owning (the other being the addictive Saturday Night Fever soundtrack). ABBA are often dumped lazily into the disco genre, but truth be told, the closest they ever got to pure disco is with this album, and even then only a handful of the songs truly deserve that label.

The weakest songs for me are the two biggest hits: Does Your Mother Know, which some across as a better remake of the abysmal earlier rocker Rock Me, and the overrated Chiquitita, which sounds like a saccharine sequel to the far superior Fernando (which sadly never found home on an official ABBA studio album).

But those two songs aside, and they are very good songs to be fair, the rest of the album is killer! As Good As New opens with a seductive, faux-classical string arrangement before erupting into the disco-tastic, and almost hysterical, vocals of Agnetha. It is worth mentioning right now that the best moments of this album are owned by her.

The title track is addictive, and whilst I feel the album dips slightly with the Christmasy ballad I Have A Dream, side one fines its 15/15 footing with the adorably sweet (but lyrically sad) Angeleyes. The King Has Lost His Crown is surprisingly complex, with a distinctly offbeat chorus and marvellous vocals from Anni-Frid.

But my favourite track off the album is If It Wasn't For The Nights, which is a glorious ABBA masterpiece in the same vein as Dancing Queen or Take A Chance On Me. Rumoured to be the albums final single release, it is a great shame that it was destined to remain an album only track, as I am certain ABBA would have finally had another UK number one, and another major US smash (only Dancing Queen ever managed to hit the top spot in the USA).

The album closes with two rather ordinary, but excellently executed, disco numbers: Lovers (Live A Little Longer) and the sexy Kisses Of Fire (Agnetha must have been the soundtrack to many a wet dream in the seventies).

All in all, a major classic, and second only to Tusk as my favourite pop album of the seventies (although one could argue that Tusk, Fleetwood Mac's defining moment for me, is art-rock).

ABBA- Super Trouper

1. Super Trouper 15/15

2. *The Winner Takes It All* 15/15

3. On And On And On 14/15

4. Andante, Andante 14/15

5. Me And I 15/15

6. Happy New Year 14/15

7. Our Last Summer 15/15

8. The Piper 14/15

9. Lay All Your Love On Me 15/15

10. The Way Old Friends Do (live) 15/15

Average Rating: 14.6 (Rating E)

Actual Rating: F

Another splendid ABBA album, I think it is safe to say that by now, ABBA were masters of their own sound, and so far ahead of the game popstars today are still catching up. This is a beautiful sounding album, with crystal clear production and some of ABBA's most distinguished hits.

The Winner Takes It All is the best ballad ever written, by ABBA or anybody else, whilst elswhere the latin-pop inflected The Piper leaves a big impression, whilst the ultra-slick disco extravaganza Lay All Your Love On Me ranks as one of ABBA's best ever singles.

Closing number The Way Old Friends Do (recorded live at Wembley Stadium, 1979) serves as a stunning farewell to the happy ABBA sound, rounding off the classic ABBA years with a melancholy turn that warms many a pop fans heart.

But, although this is a stunning pop album, and the best work of the band to date, there remains one, final, superior album that, although isn't chock full of ABBA standards, had the potential to redefine the ABBA sound for a more mature turn in the new decade...

ABBA- The Visitors

1. *The Visitors* 15/15

2. Head Over Heels 14/15

3. When All Is Said And Done 15/15

4. Soldiers 15/15

5. I Let The Music Speak 15/15

6. One Of Us 15/15

7. <Two For The Price Of One> 14/15

8. Slipping Through My Fingers 15/15

9. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room 15/15

Average Rating: 14.7 (rounded up to 16) (Rating 10)

ABBA's masterpiece, the ABBA album to end all ABBA albums, is a dark, melancholy collection of downbeat ballads and strange, experimental ventures into almost Disintegration-era The Cure level songwriting.

Oh, and a bonkers song about a man looking to hook up with a woman, only to be told her mum came as part of the package, to then end in a barmy marching band stomp. And a "happy" ABBA song that actually sounds close to morbid (Head Over Heels, Thank You For The Music's Goth cousin).

It all works together to form a truly amazing album experience. Opening track The Visitors resembles in its chorus the classic disco single Summer Night City (a Greatest Hits only number), but the verses are sinister, gothic, ghostly and Anni-Frid herself later revealed she attempted to sing as closely as possible in a manner that sounds like a sitar. A great classic, that actually saw ABBA banned in Russia (the lyrics were a subtle attack on The Soviet Union).

Elsewhere, ABBA reveals their Broadway ambitions on the gloriously downbeat I Let The Music Speak (could be off the Les Miserables OST and no one would bat an eyelid), and the truly sombre closing number Like An Angel Passing Through My Room that sounds like Death personified.

Lead single, and only hit, One Of Us see's Agnetha nearly topping her vocal work on The Winner Takes It All, and she does a sterling job on Slipping Through My Fingers, an ode to the passing of time when children seem to grow faster than their parents can fathom.

But Anni-Frid owns this album. The Visitors, When All Is Said And Done (this should have been the lead single), I Let The Music Speak and Like An Angel Passing Through My Room proving to be the best tracks on the album.

However, a great lost ABBA single remains a hidden gem in the crown of great ABBA songs: Soldiers. A truly beautiful, snowy melody is as crisp sounding as the feeling of ice under the feet during a blizzard. Pitch perfect vocals, and a bizarre chorus that sounds at once cryptic but ultimately unforgettable.

ABBA have released many great albums, a myriad stunning non-album singles, and a hoard of classic b-sides (often better than the a-sides!), but this is their masterpiece.

The world remembers Dancing Queen, and rightly so. But this is the ultimate ABBA experience. And a stunning end to a solid gold recording career. Nine years on from the forgettable Ring Ring, ABBA released a pop album that, in my most humble opinion, not even The Beatles or Kate Bush have come close to topping.

Yeah, there is a minor glitch in the rating system where an average will never come out to 16, but honestly a 10 rated album should have something other than just exemplary songs to push it over the top (like with each of yours) so it all works out in the end :D

Yeah, there is a minor glitch in the rating system where an average will never come out to 16, but honestly a 10 rated album should have something other than just exemplary songs to push it over the top (like with each of yours) so it all works out in the end :D

I meant 15!

And sometimes we favour albums that on paper sound weak, but to us are perfect.

Take Springsteen's Magic. The production is terrible. But I love the songs, and the album itself, enough to favour it above many of his more standard classics.

No other reason than what my heart tells me!

• Like 1

Oh. Yeah, I totally goofed that album rating up.

A*

bit late for that now :P

Unless I can get an admin to help me with it...

Yeah... Oh well, it's whatever ;)

I've always thought it'd be nice if there wasn't a limited time frame for edits. Most other forums don't restrict this, and it's not something that's abused (...even by those as insane as me!)

• Like 1