savagegrace26

Are these songs good?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is Red Tide a good song?

2. 2. Is Available Light a good song?

3. 3. Is Different Strings a good song?

0/3 for me.

You crazy?

No. They just aren't good songs. DS I'll give a little love to. Available Light is Rush doing Air Supply.

I never listened to Presto ever until a couple months ago. I actually like 7 out of the 11 songs. Available Light draws me in for some reason. I must have dug some Air Supply back in the day. All Out Of Love is Air Supply isn't it? I think that was their big one.... :huh:

Lol. I love how I got air supply into this. I like Presto, I like songs 1-7, the others not so much. I dont think theyre horrible songs, I just think theyre that good. I freaked when they played Presto live. I even like Superconductor, a close second to Time Stand Still as the worst video ever made.

Lol. I love how I got air supply into this. I like Presto, I like songs 1-7, the others not so much. I dont think theyre horrible songs, I just think theyre that good. I freaked when they played Presto live. I even like Superconductor, a close second to Time Stand Still as the worst video ever made.

I'm still convinced it's "bad on purpose" - they want it to be perceived as totally cheesy. It's ironic; I think it goes hand-in-hand with the lyrical message. It's a shot at consumer/tabloid culture, the excesses of the 80s. I see the audience as a bunch of people responding to a call - "come and be in a music video - your 15 seconds of fame!" - and the director saying "okay, now go wild! Show your love for this band!" It's all deliberately fake. It's the only rationale I can come up with for a video that seems so blatantly corny.

• Like 2

Since brute honesty seems to be the new tone here (so much for the "let's be positive" crowd), Available Light stinks.

You be one swell gal, I loves ya!

But you say that ever again I will force feed you mouldy, cockroachy, rat tailly, vomit iced, crap based cupcakes.

Available Light is one of my top ten Rush songs.

Better than The Weapon And Xanadu (okay, you know this is a lie, but fancy hyperbole suits my movie villian mystique)

• Like 1

I like Available Light and Red Tide Ok? There an old school fan like me said it!!.... :codger:

Edit: I underline like....

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3

I like Available Light and Red Tide Ok? There an old school fan like me said it!!.... :codger: :ph34r:

Good!

And I now like Presto more now I realise it is their Air Supply moment...

...revisiting Air Supply. Me loves them! Full fat cheese, the way I like it!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I like Available Light and Red Tide Ok? There an old school fan like me said it!!.... :codger: :ph34r:

Good!

And I now like Presto more now I realise it is their Air Supply moment...

...revisiting Air Supply. Me loves them! Full fat cheese, the way I like it!

You are simply amazing Mr Cupcake. You probably love musical theater as well.... :)
  • Like 1

Since brute honesty seems to be the new tone here (so much for the "let's be positive" crowd), Available Light stinks.

But you say that ever again I will force feed you mouldy, cockroachy, rat tailly, vomit iced, crap based cupcakes.

Better than The Weapon And Xanadu (okay, you know this is a lie, but fancy hyperbole suits my movie villian mystique)

Just make sure you put a cream cheese frosting on the cupcakes. I don't like chocolate.

Edited by Lorraine

Just make sure you put a cream cheese frosting on the cupcakes.

Ok.

I will make the cheese once i am done milking the bull

• Like 1

I'm going to give Available Light another spin right now...

Geddy performs at the peak of his eighties powers.

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Its very catchy in my view. Stylistically its very similar to Chain Lightning as well. If you like one its hard to not like the other. Just my opinion....
  • Like 1

Its very catchy in my view. Stylistically its very similar to Chain Lightning as well. If you like one its hard to not like the other. Just my opinion....

Chain Lightning, alongside Limelight, Witch Hunt, Marathon and Distant Early Warning, is a top five favourite. AL is at sixth.

Chain Lightning, alongside Limelight, Witch Hunt, Marathon and Distant Early Warning, is a top five favourite. AL is at sixth.

I couldn't even mention it in the same sentence as the others you mentioned. A different league altogether....
  • Like 1

That was a fast five minutes.

Yes, it is a catchy tune.

If you can come around to enjoying Available Light, I should be able to come around to at least tolerating that one part of the song I don't like (play of light, a photograph). For some reason that part bugs the crap out of me.

If you can come around to enjoying Available Light, I should be able to come around to at least tolerating that one part of the song I don't like (play of light, a photograph). For some reason that part bugs the crap out of me.

And the part in the song that bothers me is when he sings "available light."

Is that a real piano in some of these songs or is it one of those things that can be made to sound like a piano?

I couldn't even mention it in the same sentence as the others you mentioned. A different league altogether....

CL is possibly my favourite Rush song. I have always loved it, it really cheers me!

CL is possibly my favourite Rush song. I have always loved it, it really cheers me!

And we all love Segue when he is cheery! :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Is that a real piano in some of these songs or is it one of those things that can be made to sound like a piano?

Interesting - isn't that the very part that lots of people like best? :coy:

It kinda sounds like a real piano - especially that bit in Hand Over Fist - but all it says on the album credits is "synthesizer."

Edited by toymaker

It kinda sounds like a real piano - especially that bit in Hand Over Fist - but all it says on the album credits is "synthesizer."

Is it?

Segue - what is it about Chain Lightning that you like so much? Because I can't seem to get over my initial reaction to it, which was that I was thinking it was a pretty promising tune until the "sun dogs" bit, which I just thought was completely insipid. I know that this is completely a subjective thing, but it'd be cool to know what you dig about it.

Is it?

A poll would probably prove me wrong. Not that I need to be proven wrong, because often I just am!