Thank god iam a rush fan.

nicky6

Back to Rush, though, I have to admit that as much as I can enjoy the music in a solitary sort of way, with headphones on or whatever, there is something very cool about having someone else to share it with. You need to have somebody to grin at sometimes, someone who gets it. I think every first listen to a Rush album should be shared with a friend.
  • Like 1

When I was very young I always thought I knew a secret that others didn't. I sort of feel the same today only to a much lesser extent...

True story.... One day, hanging out having a few beverages in college, I was debating a guy who was a bit of a music snob who rambled off all the blah, blah, blah negative things so many said about Rush and he contended that I was in a "very small minority of people who actually like, let alone listen to, Rush." I chuckled and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, right, me and about a dozen guys buy 10,000 copies of their albums every week just to keep them on the sales charts." He kind of hemmed and hawed and.... then. something. magical. happened. The dude's girlfriend got up.... went to a closet in the place... pulled out about half a dozen CDs... and dumped them on the floor. They were all Rush titles. And they were THAT DUDE'S CDs.

I distinctly remember saying, "Dude, your girlfriend is *HOT*!" to kind of take the pressure off the guy and get the room to laugh it off... but damn it... really? Dude was a Rush fan talking trash about Rush because he didn't want people to know he liked Rush?

Sadly, I think that was more common than not for a very long time.

I never ran into anyone like that, but I do remember not knowing much about them. I still have my issue of Guitar Player with Alex on the cover (Geddy had an interview in it as well) from June of 1980. I remember reading it at the time and being so excited to find out something about them. Even though it was mostly about gear, there was some stuff in there about them personally. It wasn't like it is today where information was so easily accessible.

Totally agree. I know I became much more aware of the three as people (their interests, background, etc.) in the 1990s. One of the very first web sites I ever went to was the National Midnight Star webpage. I want to say that was late in my college days (the campus had public three computers linked to the web and it took 10 minutes to download a single page, thankfully the lab monitor was clueless about the various beverages I brought with me)... sometime in late 1992 or early 1993.

I remember those days. :) I guess one thing that has always been in their favor is that people didn't know much about them. They didn't get in trouble and trash hotel rooms, they weren't in the news. The focus was always on their music only and not about their personal lives. How different those times were than it is today. The music industry has made an entire 360° turn.

These guys weren't writing simple power chords and singing about booze, boobs, and the devil.

Hey Rush still has topics to sing about. These are three good ones

Didn't they cover these topics on the first three albums?

Popular opinion is that they at least did on the debut. The way it gets ragged on and that is one of the reasons given. Just too simple and straightforward R&R for some. I mean how dare they "hey baby its a quarter to eight".... :codger:

In the Mood is definitely the closest they ever got to a trashy sex song. Even then, it was still pretty polite. Geddy even admitted he was not going to be honest and made his intentions quite clear. Ever the Canadian creeper.

• Like 1

Sounds kinda funny to thank God for Rush..

When I was very young I always thought I knew a secret that others didn't. I sort of feel the same today only to a much lesser extent...

True story.... One day, hanging out having a few beverages in college, I was debating a guy who was a bit of a music snob who rambled off all the blah, blah, blah negative things so many said about Rush and he contended that I was in a "very small minority of people who actually like, let alone listen to, Rush." I chuckled and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, right, me and about a dozen guys buy 10,000 copies of their albums every week just to keep them on the sales charts." He kind of hemmed and hawed and.... then. something. magical. happened. The dude's girlfriend got up.... went to a closet in the place... pulled out about half a dozen CDs... and dumped them on the floor. They were all Rush titles. And they were THAT DUDE'S CDs.

I distinctly remember saying, "Dude, your girlfriend is *HOT*!" to kind of take the pressure off the guy and get the room to laugh it off... but damn it... really? Dude was a Rush fan talking trash about Rush because he didn't want people to know he liked Rush?

Sadly, I think that was more common than not for a very long time.

I went to a historically black college in VA Hampton Institute (name to fame basketball home of Rick "the Prick" Mahorn played ball with him and made him party tapes after he got drafted by the Bullets) and in my off campus apartment I had one of those huge murials of RUSH in green my favorite color. So being a DJ and having parties there all the time, even Super Bowl parties in my bedroom. This being from 82-85', They would ask who in hell is RUSH? I would take a deep breath and explain the history of the band then nervously pull out at the time GUP, MP or Signals on vynil. They would tell me nah man that ain't going to work....8 would hate the music but I would get 2 that would say that ain't too bad but that lead singer needs some bass in his voice. I would just tell them that's what first attracted me to the band. They would then tell me you are truly different and weird.....that's why we love you....you have a totally odd mindset.

Most of the time I would just keep my love of the band on the down low....at that time there was no mixing of RUSH into Curtis Blow or Parliament Funkadelic. I did incorporate/mix some Queen, Talking Heads or Gary Newman though at some of parties which threw my party people into a craze.

I'd love to know where that murial is now, it took up almost a whole wall.....does anybody remember or had one of those?

Edited by g under p