Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Freedom_Fighter

Just back after seeing the film with Pauline and the two kids.

How embarrasing - In the midde of the lake scene, I hear this "waah!!" shriek from beside me.

Is it one of the kids?

Nope - It's my beloved 40 year old better half, the loudest scream of the night by far!!!!!.

Enjoyed it a lot.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 19 2005, 04:35 PM)
Just back after seeing the film with Pauline and the two kids.

How embarrasing - In the midde of the lake scene, I hear this "waah!!" shriek from beside me.

Is it one of the kids?

Nope - It's my beloved 40 year old better half, the loudest scream of the night by far!!!!!.

Enjoyed it a lot.

biggrin.gif

I didn't get to go Friday, after all my excitement. fists crying.gif Sitter issues, etc. But I AM going today, to the 4:40 p.m. showing.

I'm going in knowing that it won't be like the book, but determined to enjoy it for what it is. smile.gif

I was unfortunately disappointed. I mean it was still great, but WAAAY rushed, and i sorely missed some of the big things they left out (Dobby, Winky, Ludo Bagman, muggles at the world cup anyone?). When they showed the inside of the stadium at the Quidditch World Cup, it was completely breathtaking, but otherwise it was too rushed with SOOO much left out of the whole Quidditch part. The theatricality of the entrance of the two other schools was a bit odd and not at all like the book. Snape was barely in it, most of the supporting characters had mere cameos at best, Dumbledore was too emotional (I pictured him more stoic and detached) and Moody I thought was way too obvious and forceful about helping Harry. Where was the subtlety? Where was Sirius? If all we were gonna get was that scene in the fire, they should have cut it completely as it only served to give a slight feeling of menace but otherwise didn't fit with anything. The graveyard scene I thought lost most of the power of the book. There were far too few deatheaters, it happened SO fast and that whole scene I just thought didn't work that well at all, or at least it wasn't anything close to the book. I was more distracted by Voldemort's lack of nose than I was feeling the full weight of how significant this scene should have been. I thought the ending was kind of blase and lifeless. That being said, can I still say I liked it? I did, I just think the books are a whole lot better in so many ways. Maybe I've read this book too many times to be satisfied with how much was left out and it could never live up to my imagination. I think the LOTR series was somehow much more successful in capturing the scope of those books then the Harry Potter series - it catches the scope, but only barely touches on areas that are SO much more well fleshed out in the book that I just can't help but miss what isn't there. I'm both jealous of people who haven't read the books because they won't know what they're missing, as well as sad for them that they're missing SOOO much. I don't like having to sit there and fill in the gaping holes in my mind of what was constantly not there. I felt the same rushed quality with the third movie too. When 50 pages of the book happen in 90 seconds, I just feel kind of cheated. Sorry, I wish I thought more of it. Still, you know I'll see it many more times on DVD - it is, after all, Harry Potter.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2005, 09:40 AM)
I was unfortunately disappointed. I mean it was still great, but WAAAY rushed, and i sorely missed some of the big things they left out (Dobby, Winky, Ludo Bagman, muggles at the world cup anyone?). When they showed the inside of the stadium at the Quidditch World Cup, it was completely breathtaking, but otherwise it was too rushed with SOOO much left out of the whole Quidditch part. The theatricality of the entrance of the two other schools was a bit odd and not at all like the book. Snape was barely in it, most of the supporting characters had mere cameos at best, Dumbledore was too emotional (I pictured him more stoic and detached) and Moody I thought was way too obvious and forceful about helping Harry. Where was the subtlety? Where was Sirius? If all we were gonna get was that scene in the fire, they should have cut it completely as it only served to give a slight feeling of menace but otherwise didn't fit with anything. The graveyard scene I thought lost most of the power of the book. There were far too few deatheaters, it happened SO fast and that whole scene I just thought didn't work that well at all, or at least it wasn't anything close to the book. I was more distracted by Voldemort's lack of nose than I was feeling the full weight of how significant this scene should have been. I thought the ending was kind of blase and lifeless. That being said, can I still say I liked it? I did, I just think the books are a whole lot better in so many ways. Maybe I've read this book too many times to be satisfied with how much was left out and it could never live up to my imagination. I think the LOTR series was somehow much more successful in capturing the scope of those books then the Harry Potter series - it catches the scope, but only barely touches on areas that are SO much more well fleshed out in the book that I just can't help but miss what isn't there. I'm both jealous of people who haven't read the books because they won't know what they're missing, as well as sad for them that they're missing SOOO much. I don't like having to sit there and fill in the gaping holes in my mind of what was constantly not there. I felt the same rushed quality with the third movie too. When 50 pages of the book happen in 90 seconds, I just feel kind of cheated. Sorry, I wish I thought more of it. Still, you know I'll see it many more times on DVD - it is, after all, Harry Potter.

dude...I totally agree with EVERYTHING you just said.

well i personally loved it. i thought it was the best movie so far.

of course i definitely agree that there was a lot cut out. although i think most of it was ok to cut out. the only things i really thought should have been put back in were the explanation of the dark mark (the part where Mr. Weasley said the thing about "imagine coming home and seeing that above your house", it would have added a lot more dread to the dark mark), some scenes from the quidditch world cup, and the part about the dementor at the end doing the kiss on barty crouch. i thought there was one more thing but i can't remember what it was for sure.

but anyway i was perfectly fine with everything else that was cut out. and i didn't think it was that rushed. maybe the beginning few scenes seemed pretty rushed, but by the time they got to hogwarts i really thought everything flowed extremely well. and there were so many great things about this movie.

all the drama between harry and ron and between ron and hermione was really well done i thought, well acted and well written.

finally i think daniel radcliffe has gotten to the point where he's just a really good actor. in TSS i really thought he wasn't a very good actor, but who could blame him? he'd prolly never acted in his life. by the second one he was better but still not that great. i guess i duno maybe in the third one he was already really good but i REALLY noticed how much better he's gotten in GOF.

and i thought Mad-Eye was done really well. that guy is a really good actor. is Brendan Gleeson his name? i think that's him. that guy's great.

it had some pretty sweet action. i know they kinda extended the dragon scene, and they could have left that alone and put some of the stuff they cut out back in, but really i loved the dragon scene that way, where it chases harry all the way back to the castle and stuff. i thought it was an awesome scene.

and of course it was as funny as ever. these aren't exactly comedy movies but they all have their points of comic relief and this one was great. the twins were hilarious, like when one of them asked out that girl in study hall, and when snape kept hittin harry and ron lol.

great movie, i can't wait to see it again.

For someone who hasn't read the books I thought the movie was just fine. I can see how it might be disappointing to fans of the book. But as far as the movie goes it was the best so far for me.

I feel better but still havent seen it, I am going on Saturday!!!! My kid on the other hand went tonight and just got back from the movies ( he was on a date with his girlfriend and her parents chaperoned!). So he says, "ITS FREAKIN AWESOME!". Mom can I tell you this! is now all I am hearing! It was the best one yet, scariest one yet and blah blah blah, I am so jealous!

ok i went and saw the movie again tonight with my sister and about 4 of her friends (lol yea they get together a lot and i sometimes get to tag along since we're not that far apart in age) and even though i still loved it and still think it's the best so far, i did find one big thing that i disliked about it and thought should have been done differently.

:::::::::::::::::::SPOILER ALERT!:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

the whole barty crouch jr. thing could have been done so much better. first of all, they should not have put him in the dream at the beginning. then when his character was introduced through the pensieve, he would have been shown as a possibility for the culprit but it wouldn't have been a dead giveaway, like it was when harry recognized him from the dream. you're supposed to know the story of barty crouch but you're not supposed to know he's behind it all until the end when "moody" is revealed to have actually been barty crouch the whole time. also i think they didn't go into his story enough. that was one of the most interesting parts of the book, the way the crouch's got barty out of azkaban and stuff. and they totally took out the explanation in the end, with the veritaserum, where he explains it all. maybe most of that was already explained in the events of the movie but still there were a few more minor points he could have cleared up and it's just a really cool part when he reveals his whole plot and stuff.

one last problem i had with him: the tongue thing! what was up with that? did he do that in the book? maybe he did i duno but i don't remember him doing that. and it totally took away from his character. he's supposed to be kind of a contrast to Wormtail. Wormtail is all scared and strange and stuff, and barty at first appeared to be a badass. he WAS a badass at first actually, i love that part near the beginning where he's walkin through the wreckage of the camp kicking stuff, and then he conjures the dark mark. but when they show him later on he constantly sticks his tongue out really fast! that's something that would be more appropriate for wormtail to do. and it just makes him look all insane and strange and totally takes away from his badass-ness.

either way i still liked crouch quite a bit in the movie, i just think he could have been better.

::::::::::::::::::END SPOILER:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

anyway yea i still loved the movie and thought it was great and can't wait for the next one.

Okay, I loved it. I've read all the books, this one three times. So yes, it was woefully lacking in some of the content. But I loved it because it was great to SEE the tasks played out. The maze was scary, but there was a lot left out of that, wasn't there?

My spouse, on the other hand, did NOT like it. He hasn't read the books, and he felt like it moved way too fast, and didn't explain enough along the way.

I can't get enough distance to realize that, so...

Anyway, I'll see it again. Alone. biggrin.gif

I finally saw it!!!!

For as much as I loved it there was so much that was left out! The movie was just to rushed and that took away alot from the movie. Why wasnt this movie 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours long??? For crying out loud there was an aweful lot of important stuff left out, stuff that is crucial to the series! RF has not read the books and he said that he could tell there was too much left out, stuff he had to ask what really happened. This is really sad because the movie could have been so much better than it was.

Graphics, animation, humor, Neville, Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom was all so good. What happened to the Graveyard scene?? Though it was good some very important dialogue was left out! RF had to ask me why Harry didnt say anything to Malfoy! The whole scene where LV talks about the missing DEs! I am just disappointed that it wasnt longer and time wasnt taking to make it greater than it is. Now with all that said I still really enjoyed it and I will watch it a billion times on dvd.

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 26 2005, 08:15 PM)
I finally saw it!!!!

For as much as I loved it there was so much that was left out! The movie was just to rushed and that took away alot from the movie. Why wasnt this movie 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours long??? For crying out loud there was an aweful lot of important stuff left out, stuff that is crucial to the series! RF has not read the books and he said that he could tell there was too much left out, stuff he had to ask what really happened. This is really sad because the movie could have been so much better than it was.
Graphics, animation, humor, Neville, Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom was all so good. What happened to the Graveyard scene?? Though it was good some very important dialogue was left out! RF had to ask me why Harry didnt say anything to Malfoy! The whole scene where LV talks about the missing DEs! I am just disappointed that it wasnt longer and time wasnt taking to make it greater than it is. Now with all that said I still really enjoyed it and I will watch it a billion times on dvd.

I also thought it was strange how Malfoy's (Draco) role in this film as drastically shorter than it has been in all of the previous ones. I mean, in the first 3 his character was just as important as Harry, Ron, and Hermione's, but in GOF he only had like 3 lines and you saw him on screen for two scenes. That's one of the things that surprised me most. Also, another thing is that Harry never gave The Weasley twins his prize money, so if they show their shop in the upcoming movies no one will really know where they got the money for it. It was such a good movie as it is, but think of how much better it could have been if all of this stuff was included! trink39.gif

Edited because I specified which Malfoy. wink.gif

Edited by NeilPeartFan2112

I was talking more of Lucious in the graveyard with LV. Where too was the scene that Harry told DD that Lucious, Crabbe and Goyle were DEs and were indeed there? Draco did have a smaller part to play in GOF so I understand his small part but to not have Harry tell DD that the others are indeed DEs was really off. The best part of the movie was the smaller comedic parts simply because the important dramatic parts left so much out.

Snape, Sirius, Krum, Fleur and Cedric barely had more than a couple of lines and that too really bugged me.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am, and I felt this way about the third movie too. It's just too hard for me to forget the books and love the movies for what they are, but even saying that, I still love them for what they are. It's just that I'm so painfully conscious of the vast amounts of material that got left out and how rushed it all feels to cover a lot of ground in a hurry.

BTW, I'm working on book 6 for the second time and it's GREAT!!! yes.gif