Vibrato

Lorraine

I think that if I understood more, I would appreciate the talent that Rush has, and their music, better.

When those truly artful moments happen, it feels special to understand and appreciate how difficult they are to achieve. This is true in music, visual arts, technical arts, athletics...

Anyone can enjoy a baseball game, but only those that have played at some level can truly understand how difficult it is to hit a major league pitch.

But you can't understand or appreciate how difficult it is unless you know. That's what I am getting at. Anyone can listen to music, but only the trained ear can fully appreciate it. I guess the stress should be on the word "fully".

Chills and or tears aren't enough? Just say'in.... :)
  • Like 2

I think that if I understood more, I would appreciate the talent that Rush has, and their music, better.

When those truly artful moments happen, it feels special to understand and appreciate how difficult they are to achieve. This is true in music, visual arts, technical arts, athletics...

Anyone can enjoy a baseball game, but only those that have played at some level can truly understand how difficult it is to hit a major league pitch.

But you can't understand or appreciate how difficult it is unless you know. That's what I am getting at. Anyone can listen to music, but only the trained ear can fully appreciate it. I guess the stress should be on the word "fully".

That depends on if you're appreciating what went into making it, or just appreciating how it sounds..

The music may seem more magical or fantastic if you have no clue how it was made.. By the same token, knowing how it was produced May have a "spoiler effect".. Depends on the person

• Like 2

Chills and or tears aren't enough? Just say'in.... :)

At this point in my life, it will have to suffice. :codger:

That depends on if you're appreciating what went into making it, or just appreciating how it sounds..

The music may seem more magical or fantastic if you have no clue how it was made.. By the same token, knowing how it was produced May have a "spoiler effect".. Depends on the person

I am interested in what goes into making it. I've said here a few times that each song they do began with a piece of paper with lyrics scribbled on it. What we hear, at least to my way of thinking, is a creation.

Car shows fall along these lines, for me. I love to look at the cars (I'm a dreamer ;) ), but the people I go with really understand the work of rebuilding cars, both the body and the engine. I don't, so I'm left out of truly appreciating the beauty of design. It looks cool, but I really don't have a deep enough understanding to distinguish between good, great, and magnificent.

I still like to go to car shows, though.

I've always thought of vibrato as a slight "warbling" thing. On a guitar, you can create a vibrato effect by rocking your finger back and forth on a fret (you occasionally hear some of that at the beginning of Xanadu when Alex is playing those "swelled notes" using his volume pedal. Speaking of Xanadu, listen to the album version at 5:26 and after: immortality and deepest mystery, for example (underlined syllables representing the vibrato). Geddy throws a bit of vibrato in his keyboard playing sometimes, as well. There's a little lever to the left of his Moog (I think) keyboard, and when he plays the Tom Sawyer keyboard solo, he rocks that lever back and forth fast to create that vibrato effect.

I have always loved the passion of his singing on Hemispheres, partly because of the vibrato: "sought alone to rule the fate of man."

• Like 2

Speaking of appreciation and knowledge adding to the enjoyment of music, I was recently listening to some Barry Gibb (falsetto is another topic for another day and will result in arguments), singing with Barbra Streisand on the Guilty album. Now, I'm not a fan of the music Barbra chooses to sing, but she exercises some INSANE vocal control on What Kind of Fool, where, even at the start of the song, when her voice is just barely above a whisper (you can't whisper vibrato), and she is hammering her vibrato on and off again.

Gives you chills.

• Like 1

Off the cufff, a Vibrato example would be in The Trees. "so the maples formed a union! And demanded equal RIGHTS" "We will make them give us LIGHT" "and they passed a noble LAW". They are short but that would be some examples.. the voice does either like a quiver and\or faster.. exaggerated quiver. :) Hope this helps.
  • Like 1

I've always thought of vibrato as a slight "warbling" thing. On a guitar, you can create a vibrato effect by rocking your finger back and forth on a fret (you occasionally hear some of that at the beginning of Xanadu when Alex is playing those "swelled notes" using his volume pedal. Speaking of Xanadu, listen to the album version at 5:26 and after: immortality and deepest mystery, for example (underlined syllables representing the vibrato). Geddy throws a bit of vibrato in his keyboard playing sometimes, as well. There's a little lever to the left of his Moog (I think) keyboard, and when he plays the Tom Sawyer keyboard solo, he rocks that lever back and forth fast to create that vibrato effect.

I have always loved the passion of his singing on Hemispheres, partly because of the vibrato: "sought alone to rule the fate of man."

Yes, I noticed him doing that on the keyboard. It is to his far left, and it appeared to me to be some type of thin wheel-like thing he moves back and forth. Thanks for telling me what it is. I will listen to the parts in Xanadu too. Any (and no) excuse to listen to the song will do. :wub:

Edited by Lorraine

Off the cufff, a Vibrato example would be in The Trees. "so the maples formed a union! And demanded equal RIGHTS" "We will make them give us LIGHT" "and they passed a noble LAW". They are short but that would be some examples.. the voice does either like a quiver and\or faster.. exaggerated quiver. :) Hope this helps.

Will listen to this too! Thanks.