Vibrato

Lorraine

Can someone here tell me what a vibrato is when it comes to singing? And can you point me to a part in a Rush song where Geddy is singing like that so I have a point of reference?

Thank you! :)

Edited by Lorraine

Can someone here tell me what a vibrato is when it come to singing? And can you point me to a part in a Rush song where Geddy is singing like that so I have a point of reference?

I don't know the definition, but in The Necromancer when Geddy sings "three travelers ford the river" he uses vibrato on the word "ford"

Can someone here tell me what a vibrato is when it come to singing? And can you point me to a part in a Rush song where Geddy is singing like that so I have a point of reference?

I don't know the definition, but in The Necromancer when Geddy sings "three travelers ford the river" he uses vibrato on the word "ford"

Thank you. I actually had the question on another thread but deleted it and started a new one. Now I am asking myself why I did that for such a simple answer. :LOL:

Thank you. I actually had the question on another thread but deleted it and started a new one. Now I am asking myself why I did that for such a simple answer. :LOL:

Does he do it on the word "peril" too? ("The road is lined with peril")

Edited by Lorraine

This should serve only to confuse further..... :LOL:

vi·bra·to

[vi-brah-toh, vahy-] Show IPA

noun, plural vi·bra·tos. Music.

a pulsating effect, produced in singing by the rapid reiteration of emphasis on a tone, and on bowedinstruments by a rapid change of pitch corresponding to the vocal tremolo.

Edited by Narpski

vi·bra·to

a pulsating effect, produced in singing by the rapid reiteration of emphasis on a tone, and on bowedinstruments by a rapid change of pitch corresponding to the vocal tremolo.

haha The longer I am here, the less I realize I know. In fact, the longer I am here, the more I am finding out how very little I do know about music. I used to think I had good taste in music, but how can someone who knows nothing about music know good music when she hears it? Or fully appreciate it?

• Like 1

vi·bra·to

haha The longer I am here, the less I realize I know. In fact, the longer I am here, the more I am finding out how very little I do know about music. I used to think I had good taste in music, but how can someone who knows nothing about music know good music when she hears it? Or fully appreciate it?

Well from the music I think I know you like you have done a fine job to this point..... :)
  • Like 1

vi·bra·to

Your opinion counts as much as anyone else's. I don't think knowledge of music is a prerequisite for appreciating music. Knowing musical theory and technique does not make one more qualified to judge what is good music.

• Like 1

vi·bra·to

Your opinion counts as much as anyone else's. I don't think knowledge of music is a prerequisite for appreciating music. Knowing musical theory and technique does not make one more qualified to judge what is good music.

Trophy generation logic.

vi·bra·to

haha The longer I am here, the less I realize I know. In fact, the longer I am here, the more I am finding out how very little I do know about music. I used to think I had good taste in music, but how can someone who knows nothing about music know good music when she hears it?

Because it's not like there's a universal standard for what constitutes "good music". If you like it, then it's good to you and knowing all the theory in the world won't change that. Some people will think you have excellent taste in music, and other people will think you have shit taste, and knowing everything there is to know about music won't change that, either.

• Like 1

it's elitist bullshit to think that you have to understand music to appreciate it. in fact i think sometimes knowing too much about music theory and the technical aspects of playing can get in the way of pure enjoyment of it. i play music and i do love it but my wife can't tell a sitar from a guitar and I've never seen anyone who loves and appreciates music the way she does.

vi·bra·to

Something very cool about your statement that I would like to expand on if I may.

*ahem*

I like to view learning to play an instrument much like climbing a hill but not in the traditional sense. You see, to me the top of the hill is not becoming proficient in the instrument to me. It is where proficiency begins. Allow me to explain.

To me, the climb up the hill is learning basic chords, majors and minors and maybe a major and minor scale... that's it. The reason I see that as the climb up is that while you are learning these things (climbing the hill) you look up and see an end in sight. You are working hard, getting it all down thinking that when you get to the top of that hill you will have completely mastered the instrument. As you approach the top, you can solo in major and minor and hit a chord anywhere on the neck... then you reach the top of the hill... and then you look out at a sea of suspended chords, 7ths, 9ths, diminished chords... a whole new list of scales and modes... modes?... what the hell is that?... different guitar tunings... etc., etc., etc.

You realize that little hill you climbed that you thought you never would was just the introduction to a whole new world.

I guess my point that Lorraine touched on is, "The more you learn about music, the more you realize exactly how much you don't know." That's why some shitty musicians are so cocky. They are only a few feet from the top of the hill so they think they know it all. Your better musicians have passed that peak and are humbled in knowing the do not know it all.

I for one find that interesting and motivating and not daunting. It's the journey, not the destination that is important.

Sorry for the ramble.

• Like 3

I think that if I understood more, I would appreciate the talent that Rush has, and their music, better.

Well, now you know what vibrato is. Does that help you appreciate Rush more?

I think that if I understood more, I would appreciate the talent that Rush has, and their music, better.

Well, now you know what vibrato is. Does that help you appreciate Rush more?

No, I asked that question because i was reading an old thread here that was discussing Geddy's vibrato and enunciation. I didn't know what a vibrato was. Now I do.

What I meant is music - notes. A trained ear knows what is hard to play and what is just lazy playing.

vi·bra·to

Something very cool about your statement that I would like to expand on if I may.

*ahem*

I like to view learning to play an instrument much like climbing a hill but not in the traditional sense. You see, to me the top of the hill is not becoming proficient in the instrument to me. It is where proficiency begins. Allow me to explain.

To me, the climb up the hill is learning basic chords, majors and minors and maybe a major and minor scale... that's it. The reason I see that as the climb up is that while you are learning these things (climbing the hill) you look up and see an end in sight. You are working hard, getting it all down thinking that when you get to the top of that hill you will have completely mastered the instrument. As you approach the top, you can solo in major and minor and hit a chord anywhere on the neck... then you reach the top of the hill... and then you look out at a sea of suspended chords, 7ths, 9ths, diminished chords... a whole new list of scales and modes... modes?... what the hell is that?... different guitar tunings... etc., etc., etc.

You realize that little hill you climbed that you thought you never would was just the introduction to a whole new world.

I guess my point that Lorraine touched on is, "The more you learn about music, the more you realize exactly how much you don't know." That's why some shitty musicians are so cocky. They are only a few feet from the top of the hill so they think they know it all. Your better musicians have passed that peak and are humbled in knowing the do not know it all.

I for one find that interesting and motivating and not daunting. It's the journey, not the destination that is important.

Sorry for the ramble.

Cool post and interesting read. I agree. There are many levels to learning an instrument and you can never completely master one. I'm sure there are pieces of music or other musicians that Ged,Al and Neil really admire and wish they could play as well. It's a journey, and a lifelong process.

• Like 1

I agree. Since I have played Rush on Guitar for over 20 years and now sing in a Rush Tribute band.... I definetly have more of an appreciation RUSH instrumentally but also vocally of the tone, attack, inflections and notes that Geddy chooses to use on the studio tracks for the CD's. For me, this does not even include an appreciation of having known Music theory, to which would REALLY bring not only more insight as to why things as a band were chosen instrumentally but also sonically and how the stories were told..
  • Like 1

it's elitist bullshit to think that you have to understand music to appreciate it. in fact i think sometimes knowing too much about music theory and the technical aspects of playing can get in the way of pure enjoyment of it. i play music and i do love it but my wife can't tell a sitar from a guitar and I've never seen anyone who loves and appreciates music the way she does.

I would distinguish between enjoying music and evaluating it. There's nothing elitist in the idea that someone who has studied is more qualified to assess any type of work on its technical merits than the layperson. It's common sense.

And I agree that the layperson can enjoy the less artful works of any artist or craftsman more than the informed consumer.

• Like 2

When those truly artful moments happen, it feels special to understand and appreciate how difficult they are to achieve. This is true in music, visual arts, technical arts, athletics...

Anyone can enjoy a baseball game, but only those that have played at some level can truly understand how difficult it is to hit a major league pitch.

• Like 3

When those truly artful moments happen, it feels special to understand and appreciate how difficult they are to achieve. This is true in music, visual arts, technical arts, athletics...

Anyone can enjoy a baseball game, but only those that have played at some level can truly understand how difficult it is to hit a major league pitch.

Good analogy.

• Like 1

But you can't understand or appreciate how difficult it is unless you know. That's what I am getting at. Anyone can listen to music, but only the trained ear can fully appreciate it. I guess the stress should be on the word "fully".

• Like 1