Unicycling, anyone?

GeddyRulz

Is there anybody here who can ride a unicycle and regularly enjoys doing so?

I first got the idea to learn back in 1990, when I saw a drawing of a unicyclist on the cover of a novel. I swore then that I’d learn to ride one before I died. (I don’t really have a “bucket list,” but you could say this was the one thing on it.) I did nothing about it for twelve years, until Christmas of 2002 when I asked for and received one as a gift. Again, I did almost nothing for another twelve years (2014), when I finally began practicing in earnest. That was several weeks ago, and now I can ride! After 24 years of wanting to!

It’s a fun hobby, good exercise, and gives you the satisfaction of knowing you can do something that only about 1% of the population knows how to do, not to mention accomplishing something which at times seemed “impossible.” It’s a perfect hobby for me – a mix of cool and geeky – and would probably also make a good hobby for the guys in Rush. Seriously, I can imagine all of them getting into it. Me, I just get a kick out of being the “eccentric guy” in the neighborhood.

10410640_10203160788333299_7256983781434026646_n.jpg

• Like 3

I've not tried that - I have enough trouble with two wheels..! :P

If you can walk, you can uni. It's just practice, practice, practice. And there's ways of getting the MOST from your practice sessions, so learning won't take as long.

It took me 6.5 weeks, but it shouldn't have. I made some mistakes that "instructors" on YouTube don't warn you about strongly enough. If I knew then... I could've learned in about a week.

Cool!

So when is the clown suit scheduled for delivery???? :D

• Like 1

What's the cost for a unicycle?

I bought a new one online for just $55 and tax with free shipping – less than the cost of a tank of gas. It (almost) lasted me through the learning process, when you’re battering it around pretty good, but started falling apart at the end. Now I need replacement parts or a whole new ‘cycle.

A little more than $100 would get you a good Torker, the most famous name in unicycles and the brand more people learn on than any other. (What Duncan is to Yo-yos, Torker is to unicycles.) They’re pretty durable; good quality.

Unicycles go up in price to about $500-$600 for a top-of-the-line off-road “MUni” (mountain unicycle, for riding on dirt trails). Off-road riding is all the rage in unicycling circles, but I have no interest.

I’m ready for a serious uni which will last longer than my $55 no-name brand piece-of-shit. I have my eye on a great quality Nimbus, which normally goes for $350 but I’ve found for $250.

My dad can ride a Unicycle with ease, I am more of a Pogo Stick person myself though.
  • Like 1

I was always good on the pogo stick and managed stilts quite well too. Not sure if I could unicycle.